Our team has achieved national prominence in the defense and settlement of individual and class actions routinely brought against consumer financial services companies.
We have litigated a wide range of issues confronted by consumer financial services businesses. Our clients include commercial and consumer banks, credit card issuers, residential lenders, automobile finance companies, student lending companies, credit reporting agencies, payment processors, investment banks, e-commerce companies and insurance companies.
Our litigators have defended and settled, including through innovative settlement structures, hundreds of class actions addressing a wide range of issues. We have argued three times to the California Supreme Court as lead counsel on issues of critical concern in connection with the defense of consumer class actions and routinely appear before federal and state appellate courts across the country.
- On an issue of first impression and of importance to retail banks, our litigation team secured a favorable ruling before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit on behalf of JPMorgan holding that the Identity Theft Act does not apply to claims involving a deposit account because the defendant bank was not a “claimant” under the Act.
- We have successfully brought an end to nearly 10 years of litigation against our client, American Express, when a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh unanimously ruled that a federal district court judge did not abuse his discretion in approving American Express’ $6.7 million settlement of a class action case.
- Our team successfully obtained a judgment on behalf of WSI in a complex real estate dispute following a one-month trial. The court earlier granted summary judgment for WSI on plaintiff’s fraud and negligent misrepresentation claims.
- Handled a series of nationwide class actions pending in New York challenging retail bank overdraft fees. We negotiated a nationwide class action settlement in a parallel New York State Court case.
- Obtained dismissal of a putative class action against BMW Bank of North America and BMW Financial Services NA, LLC alleging over $40 million in potential damages under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. The order provides valuable support to defendants’ efforts to defeat claims based on the unauthorized conduct of third parties.
- Representing trustees of one of the largest asset management funds in the world in a class action stemming from the August 2015 stock market flash crash.
In The Spotlight
July 2, 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin“Proposed Revisions to the Volcker Rule’s Implementing Rules – Select Proposals and Open Questions”
June 28, 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin“California Enacts Broad-Reaching Consumer Privacy Legislation”
June 27, 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin“California Poised to Enact Broad-Reaching Consumer Privacy Legislation”
Lawyers In This Group
|James L. Bernard||Partner||New York||
James L. Bernard
|Daniel N. Bertaccini||Associate||New York||
Daniel N. Bertaccini
|Elizabeth C. Carter||Associate||New York||
Elizabeth C. Carter
|Shannon E. Dudic||Special Counsel||Los Angeles||
Shannon E. Dudic
|Christine E. Ellice||Special Counsel||Los Angeles||
Christine E. Ellice
|Holly A. Farless||Associate||Los Angeles||
Holly A. Farless
|Ali Fesharaki||Associate||Los Angeles||
|Christopher R. Fredrich||Associate||Los Angeles||
Christopher R. Fredrich
|Brian C. Frontino||Partner||Miami
Brian C. Frontino
|Raymond A. Garcia||Associate||New York||
Raymond A. Garcia
|Chelsea L. Goulet||Associate||New York||
Chelsea L. Goulet
|Cristina A. Guido||Associate||Los Angeles||
Cristina A. Guido
|Crystal Y. Jonelis||Associate||Los Angeles||
Crystal Y. Jonelis
|K. Thomas Ko||Partner||New York||
K. Thomas Ko
|Erick K. Kuylman||Associate||Los Angeles||
Erick K. Kuylman
|Dustin A. Linden||Associate||Los Angeles||
Dustin A. Linden
|John R. ('Jake') Loftus||Partner||Los Angeles||
John R. ('Jake') Loftus
|David W. Moon||Special Counsel||Los Angeles||
David W. Moon
|Stephen J. Newman||Partner||Los Angeles||
Stephen J. Newman
|Arjun P. Rao||Partner||Los Angeles||
Arjun P. Rao
|Adam P. Snyder||Associate||Los Angeles||
Adam P. Snyder
|Julieta Stepanyan||Associate||Los Angeles||
|Adam P. Stillman||Associate||Los Angeles||
Adam P. Stillman
|Julia B. Strickland||Partner||Los Angeles||
Julia B. Strickland
|David D. Switzler||Associate||Miami||
David D. Switzler
|Alisa M. Taormina||Associate||Miami||
Alisa M. Taormina
|Daniel J. Yost||Associate||New York||
Daniel J. Yost