Paul A. Shelowitz litigates complex business and real estate cases on behalf of developers and Fortune 500 companies, with projects extending across Florida and the nation. His expertise extends to all facets of real estate and banking litigation, brokerage commission and licensure claims, corporate/partnership disputes, covenants not-to-compete, landlord/tenant matters, business torts and a broad range of debtor/creditor litigation.
Paul is an aggressive, persistent and passionate attorney who regularly brings complex cases to trial. He recently managed a team of Stroock and other lawyers advocating for control of a $100 million New Jersey company through a five-year litigation battle. He is recognized in Best Lawyers in America, was named “Most Effective Lawyer” in 2015 by the Daily Business Review for Real Estate, and was included among Florida Trend’s Legal Elite for his commercial litigation work.
Paul’s pro bono service includes his acting as guardian ad litem for a foster child facing serious criminal charges. He worked closely with the Miami-Dade Juvenile Court and the foster family to see the child through a successful school-work program.
- Represented a Fortune 100 institutional developer of a high-end condo/hotel in Maui, Hawaii, in a 10-day trial against claims of fraud, unfair and deceptive trade practices, negligence and breach of contract that resulted in a complete defense verdict.
- Represented a developer of a 836-acre equestrian development located in Martin County, Florida, against a large South Florida bank in a 25-day trial involving claims of fraud and lender liability.
- Represented an institutional seller of a $24 million shopping center in Raleigh, North Carolina, in a suit involving claims of fraud, breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
- Represented a minority owner of Miami apartment buildings in a derivative shareholder suit involving claims of undue influence, breach of fiduciary duty and related claims.
- Represented Irish Bank Resolution Corp., the successor to Anglo-Irish Bank, in a $100 million foreclosure suit involving the coveted “Sarasota Quay” property.
- Represented the joint venture owner of 2,000 acres of entitled land in Port St. Lucie, Florida, in a suit to terminate a $25 million purchase and sale agreement. Matter concluded with client recovering the lion’s share of $110 million.
- Represented prominent South Florida commercial real estate brokers in commission claims against joint venture developers who together conspired to deprive them of a multimillion-dollar commission.
- Represented the manufacturer of medical devices regarding claims by a southeastern distributor for lost profits involving more than $10 million.
- Represented a national automobile finance company in connection with fraud claims against a multi-franchise dealership in Georgia.
- Represented the judicial sale purchaser of Miramar Golf Course in defense of due process claims asserted by the former owner/judgment debtor.
- Represented a commercial real estate broker against other brokers for circumvention, constructive trust, imposition of equitable liens and punitive damages.
- Represented a large international bank involving the appointment of a receiver and the foreclosure of an incomplete Miami condominium project.
- Represented a South Florida-based telecommunications company in an injunction matter against former employees who established a competing business.
- Represented a former Chief Financial Officer of a privately held technology company involving alleged fraudulent sale of stock to an accredited investor.
- Represented a South Florida-based telecommunications company in a matter involving claims against a publicly traded long-distance reseller on breach of contract and related claims.
- Represented a South Florida developer seeking to overturn a Miami-Dade County determination that a shopping center was divested of signage rights.
- Represented numerous debtors in a matter involving the collection of a multimillion-dollar judgment held by a national finance company.
- Represented a minority shareholder in a matter involving “dissenter’s rights” to enforce a mid-trial settlement agreement reached in a related litigation.
- Represented an international technology company in a breach of contract suit against a supplier of satellite and telecommunication products.
- Represented a manufacturer of plastic extrusions in contract and tort claims made by its Caribbean distributor.
Honors & Awards
- Mr. Shelowitz is recognized for his work in Best Lawyers in America.
- In 2018, Mr. Shelowitz was named “Most Effective Lawyer” by the Daily Business Review for real estate litigation.
- Mr. Shelowitz has been included among Florida Trend’s Legal Elite for his work in commercial litigation.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Chair, Miami Chapter, Big City Mountaineers
- Member, Board of Directors, Overtown Youth Center
- Member, Board of Directors, Friends of the Florida Trail
Admitted To Practice
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
J.D., cum laude, University of Miami School of Law, 1988; Member, University of Miami Law Review; Summer Honors Program; Book Award Real Property
B.A., with high honors, The American University, 1985
In The Spotlight
IMN's Bank & Special Asset Forums on Distressed Real Estate
January 30-31, 2012View All events
NewsBack To Full Bio
March 18, 2020 | Daily Business Review
Paul Shelowitz Looks at Pluses and Minuses of Remote Working
August 15, 2019 | Best Lawyers
47 Stroock Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2020
August 15, 2017
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
November 11, 2016 | The Miami Herald
Paul A. Shelowitz and Ira K. Teicher quoted in “What will Trump's Presidency Mean for Miami's Real Estate?”
December 4, 2015
Paul A. Shelowitz Selected as Daily Business Review’s “Most Effective Lawyer” for Real Estate
June 14, 2015 | The Maui News
Paul A. Shelowitz quoted in "Judge’s decision favors Honua Kai developers"
May 28, 2015 | South Florida Business Journal
Ronald A. Kriss and Paul A. Shelowitz Featured in "Monty's Gets New Owner in Complex Coconut Grove Deal"
May 27, 2015
Coconut Grove's Famous Monty's Raw Bar and Marina Trades for Undisclosed Sum Stroock & Stroock & Lavan Represent the Buyer
May 27, 2015 | Daily Business Review
Ronald A. Kriss quoted in "Coconut Grove's Landmark Monty's Gets New Owner in Complex Deal"
November 22, 2010
Ron Kriss and Paul Shelowitz Join Stroock’s Miami Office
PublicationsBack To Full Bio
April 1, 2020 | Stroock Special Bulletin
Pre-Negotiation Letters During COVID-19
March 24, 2020 | Stroock Special Bulletin
Relief for Borrowers From the Federal Government and in NY and Fla.
March 3, 2020 | Stroock Special Bulletin
Steps for Businesses to Consider as Coronavirus Spreads
EventsBack To Service
January 30-31, 2012
IMN's Bank & Special Asset Forums on Distressed Real Estate