Patrick is an experienced trial lawyer that regularly represents institutions and individuals in federal and state court, arbitrations, and government investigations. Patrick has successfully represented his clients’ interests through litigation victories, out-of-court settlements, and mediated negotiations.
Patrick’s clients include global and national consulting and accounting firms, financial institutions, investment advisory firms, real estate owners and developers, and individuals. Out of court, Patrick also regularly represents clients in responding to civil investigate demands and subpoenas issued by the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and other governmental and regulatory bodies. Patrick maintains an active pro bono practice, with a particular focus on prisoner rights litigation.
Prior to joining Stroock as an associate, Patrick served as a law clerk to the Honorable Brian M. Cogan of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- Successfully represented the former chief executive officer and chairman of a leading global financial services firm in a three-week trial prosecuted by the Enforcement Division of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Following the completion of the trial, the SEC’s administrative law judge issued a 95-page decision dismissing all of the Enforcement Division’s allegations.
- Represented a global consulting firm in responding to voluminous civil investigative demands issued as part of antitrust and false claims act investigations conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented investment advisory firms and individual traders in responding to civil investigative demands issued as part of insider trading investigations conducted by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Judgment Enforcement/Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act Litigation:
- Successfully obtained affirmance from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit of a summary judgment decision awarding victims of Iranian-sponsored terrorism a 40% interest in a 36-story office tower located at 650 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan in partial satisfaction of their outstanding judgments entered against the Islamic Republic of Iran. See Kirschenbaum v. Assa Corp., 934 F.3d 191 (2d Cir. 2019).
- Successfully represented the same clients in obtaining a summary judgment decision awarding clients over $17 million in assets blocked by the U.S. government.
- Currently representing same clients in proceedings in the Southern District of New York seeking to enforce their judgments against a portfolio of real estate estimated to be worth over $1 billion.
- Currently representing insurance companies in claims against the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia relating to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for an individual plaintiff alleging breach of an oral partnership agreement relating to the formation of an investment advisory firm with assets under management in excess of $500 million.
- Represented national accounting firm in multi-week arbitration in case alleging audit malpractice relating to a multi-million dollar restatement of audit client’s financial statements.
- Represented global consulting firm in responding to third-party subpoenas for documents and testimony in a multi-billion dollar lawsuit relating to an unsuccessful merger.
- Represented real estate owner in litigation relating to the termination of an agreement involving the redevelopment of real property located in midtown Manhattan.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of the estate of a deceased individual who committed suicide following prolonged confinement in solitary housing.
- Currently representing Jamaican nationals in civil damages and habeas suits following their 30-day detention chained aboard four different ships operated by the U.S. Coast Guard and subsequent criminal prosecution in federal court in Miami, Florida.
- Member, Federal Bar Council
Admitted To Practice
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
J.D., summa cum laude, Pace University School of Law, 2010
B.S., magna cum laude, Boston University, 2006
In The Spotlight
NewsBack To Full Bio
January 3, 2019 | The Deal
Stroock Promotions Featured in The Deal
December 26, 2018 | ABF Journal
Stroock Mentioned in ABF Journal
December 18, 2018
Stroock Promotes Seven New Partners and Special Counsel for 2019
July 6, 2017 | American Lawyer
James Bernard featured in "Litigator of the Week: Playing the Long Game for Victims of Terrorism"
June 29, 2017
Stroock Wins Trial Forcing Iran to Turn Over $1B Real Estate Assets Over Terror Claims
June 29, 2017 | citybizlist
James Bernard quoted in "Terror Funding Judgement Forces Iran to Turn Over $1 Billion in Real Estate Assets"
PublicationsBack To Full Bio
July 5, 2017 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"Stroock Wins Landmark Victory as Judge Orders Turnover of Over $1 Billion in U.S. Properties"