Matthew O’Donnell, co-chair of the Debt Finance practice, represents financial institutions in all types of loan restructurings, out-of-court workouts, bankruptcy proceedings and lending transactions including domestic and cross-border commodity financing transactions, asset-based loans, leveraged financing transactions, aircraft and other equipment financings. He has also represented public and private corporations in mergers and acquisitions, equity investments and other general corporate matters.
- Agent for lenders in a $900 million revolving credit facility to a global commodities merchant.
- Agent for lenders in a $475 million borrowing base facility secured by, among other things, coffee and other commodities located in the United States, Canada, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Agent for lenders in the restructuring of a $450 million multi-currency project finance facility to the operator of an international airport in South America.
- A financial institution with claims against hedge funds and private equity funds arising out of the termination of master repurchase agreements, including the consensual out-of-court liquidation of securities and the resolution and payment of counterparty claims.
- Agent for a group of secured lenders and hedge providers in the workout then chapter 11 case of Mineral Park, the owner of a copper mine in Arizona.
- Agent for a group of lenders in the workout and restructuring of a $1.4 billion line of credit secured by shipping vessels registered in Hong Kong and the Marshall Islands.
- Agent for a group of lenders in the workout and restructuring of an $800 million term loan and revolving credit facility secured by all assets of a national port operator, which included the sale of 50% of the borrower’s equity interests in its largest subsidiary to an international shipping conglomerate and the issuance of over $175 million of letters of credit to support the borrower’s corporate bond obligations.
- Agent for a group of lenders in the chapter 11 case of China Fishery Group and Pacific Andes International Holdings, and the secured lender in a workout then chapter 7 case of National Fish and Seafood, Inc., a subsidiary of Pacific Andes International Holdings.
- Agent for a group of lenders in the workout of a $100 million credit facility to an oil and gas exploration company secured by properties in Texas and Wyoming.
- A group of financial institutions in connection with commodity hedge agreements with an owner of a partially completed copper mine in Mexico.
- Agent for lenders in the restructuring of hedge and loan obligations of a Canadian operator of a gold mine in Brazil.
- A lender in the successful workout of over $500 million of term loans to a private jet timeshare company and the negotiation of intercreditor agreements with the borrower’s other senior and subordinated lenders and a purchase option agreement with the borrower’s strategic partner.
- A letter of credit provider in the restructuring of a facility backing bonds issued by an agency of a financially troubled California municipality and the negotiation of amendments to the related reimbursement agreement and bond indenture providing for the pledge of collateral and reduction of the letter of credit provider’s exposure.
- Agent for lenders in a $200 million multi-currency loan facility secured by assets located throughout North and South America.
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, American Bar Association
- Co-Author, “Recent Developments in the MD&A in Preparation of Annual Disclosure Documents,” Practising Law Institute, 2005
- J.D., cum laude, St. John’s University School of Law, 2004
- B.A., Yale University, 1999
Honors & Awards
- IFLR1000, Highly Regarded