Marc Hurel has more than 30 years of experience as a commercial real estate lawyer. His practice includes all areas of real estate, including sales and acquisitions, leasing, development, financing and joint ventures, and commercial condominiums, in each case involving major transactions in New York and elsewhere in the country.
Marc represents both landlords and tenants in major lease transactions. He recently represented Pfizer in connection with the lease of its new world headquarters, which will comprise over 800,000 feet in a building under development in Manhattan’s Hudson Yards neighborhood. He also completed leases covering nearly 2 million square feet of space at 11 Madison Avenue in Manhattan, representing the building owner as landlord in negotiations with Credit Suisse, Sony and Yelp.
Marc regularly represents major corporate clients in connection with a variety of sophisticated real estate matters. He represented The New York Times Co. on the development, financing and leasing of its headquarters building in Manhattan, and in numerous leasing transactions (both tenant and landlord roles) throughout the country. He recently represented the Times’ Wirecutter subsidiary in significant leases in Long Island City, New York and in Los Angeles.
Marc has represented Verizon on a number of real estate matters, including sale leaseback transactions involving its 1.4 million-square-foot operations center in Basking Ridge, New York and its office campus in Irving, Texas.
Marc also played a major role in the representation of The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the redevelopment of the World Trade Center site, including major leases at 1 World Trade Center and 4 World Trade Center.
Marc has represented a major real estate investment adviser in numerous joint ventures for the development of office buildings, shopping centers, multi-family residential and industrial warehouse projects nationally, including the following:
- A 49-story 389-unit apartment and retail tower in downtown Chicago
- Regional shopping centers in suburban Tampa and Chicago
- A 350,000-square-foot office building in Houston
Other representative transactions include the following:
- Representation of the tenant in an 800,000-square-foot headquarters lease
- Representation of The New York Times Company in $250,000,000 sale/leaseback of its headquarters at 620 Eighth Avenue
- Representation of Verizon in portfolio sales, as well as commercial condominium formation and development agreements for disposition of space at their New York City corporate headquarters building and various other properties
- Representation of Pfizer in the sales of 219-235 East 42nd Street and 685 Third Avenue
- Representation of the Algonquin Hotel, New York, New York in the sale of an air-space parcel and transferable development rights
- Representation of the Port Authority in negotiation of anchor leases at 1 World Trade Center totaling approximately 1.5 million square feet of space with Condé Nast, the U.S. General Services Administration and Vantone/China Center
- Representation of Apple as tenant in major retail lease in New York City
- Representation of Practising Law Institute, Piper Jaffray, Adobe, Cisco, Scientific Games, Leucadia and various other companies as tenants in significant office leasing matters in New York City
Honors & Awards
- The Legal 500 United States
- Commercial Observer, Power Lawyer
Admitted To Practice
Connecticut; New York
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1984
B.A., magna cum laude, Tufts University, 1981
In The Spotlight
NewsBack To Full Bio
April 13, 2018
Stroock Represents Pfizer in Global Headquarters Relocation in NYC
April 20, 2017
Real Estate Forum and GlobeSt Honor Five Separate Stroock Transactions Nationally for Best Deals of 2016
April 20, 2016
Stroock Partner Marc Hurel Selected as a "Power Lawyer" by Commercial Observer
July 10, 2015 | Bisnow
Jeffrey R. Keitelman Talks to Bisnow About His Move to Stroock
June 24, 2015 | The Commercial Observer
Real Estate Partners quoted in "The Lawyers at the Forefront of Stroock's Real Estate Explosion"
June 4, 2015 | Law360
Real Estate team highlighted in "Stroock Lures 8 From DLA Piper For Real Estate Practice"
May 26, 2015
Stroock Continues National Expansion with Addition of Eight Real Estate Attorneys in Washington, DC and New York Firm Adds 23 Attorneys in the Last Six Months Across All Offices