Jon Ziefert represents real estate developers, private equity funds, large investors and institutional lenders involved in complex real estate investment and development transactions, including the acquisition, development, financing, leasing and disposition of shopping centers, office buildings, hotels, residential and mixed-use complexes, and industrial facilities.
Mr. Ziefert also advises such clients in connection with the formation of related joint ventures, equity investment vehicles and operating/management agreements.
- Representation of real estate investment fund, Westbrook Partners, in joint venture acquisitions and related financings with a leading residential/commercial developer of three five-star hotels in New York, NY, Washington, DC and San Francisco, CA, valued in the aggregate in excess of $150 million.
- Various transactions for The Setai Group, developers of hotel/residential projects, including a construction loan modification and simultaneous mezzanine construction loan with the MONY Group for the Setai Resort and Residences in Miami Beach, FL.
- Representation of The Setai Group as developer in connection with the sale of the Setai Hotel in Miami Beach, FL.
- Representation of the Dermot Company as developer in a ground lease with the New York City Economic Development Corporation and an EB-5 construction financing for a boutique hotel in lower Manhattan.
- Representation of a foreign asset management company in connection with the purchase of senior and junior mezzanine loans secured by equity interests in the Four Seasons Maui at Wailea hotel and the negotiation of an intercreditor agreement with an affiliate of Credit Suisse as mortgage lender.
- Representation of JPMorgan Asset Management in a recapitalization/joint venture with a large private equity fund and developer of a 400,000+ square foot shopping center in Santa Barbara, CA.
- Representation of JPMorgan Asset Management in a joint venture/acquisition of an approximately 1,000 unit affordable housing complex in the Bronx, NY.
- Representation of a major sovereign wealth fund in joint venture acquisitions and related financings with a leading private equity fund of seven shopping centers throughout the U.S., valued in the aggregate in excess of $1 billion.
- Representation of JPMorgan Asset Management in a joint venture acquisition and related financing of office building 240 West 40th Street in New York, NY with a leading owner of office properties.
- Representation of Simon Development in connection with the joint venture acquisition of land and construction financing of a hotel in New York, NY.
- Representation of Terra Mark LLC in the long-term ground leasing of a portion of a resort in the Islands of Bermuda for a luxury residential condominium development.
- Representation of JPMorgan Asset Management in joint venture/preferred equity investment and acquisition of a mixed-use development site in Ontario, CA with a large development company
- Representation of real estate investment fund, Rockwood Capital Real Estate Partners, in a joint venture of a mixed-use hotel/retail/residential development project with Madison Equities in New York, NY.
- Representation of Millennium Partners in the refinancing with Dresdner Bank of two Ritz-Carlton hotel/residential projects.
- Representation of JPMorgan Asset Management in a joint venture/preferred equity investment and acquisition of a residential rental project in Baltimore, MD with a large development company.
- Representation of Kerzner International in connection with the refinancing of a five-star resort.
- Representation of an international luxury goods retailer in connection with the leasing of its U.S. flagship store on Fifth Avenue in New York City.
- Joint venture acquisition and recapitalization of seven Ritz Carlton and two Four Seasons hotels for a private equity fund.
- Member, Real Estate Editorial Advisory Board, Law360
- Speaker, "Structuring Preferred Equity Investments in Real Estate Ventures: True Equity vs. "Debt-Like" Equity," Strafford Webinar, November 22, 2016
California; New York; New Jersey
J.D., with high honors, Rutgers University School of Law, Newark, 1994
M.S., Columbia University, 1991; Real Estate Development
B.A., Columbia University, 1989
May 11, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Advises Red Hook Container Terminal in Plan to Restore South Brooklyn Maritime Facility as Major Shipping Hub
October 12, 2016| Law360Loryn D. Arkow and Jon S. Ziefert quoted in "Real Estate Players Turn To JVs For Flexibility"
August 8, 2016| Law360Jon S. Ziefert quoted in "5 Ways To Botch A Real Estate Deal"
January 22, 2015Stroock Adds Jon S. Ziefert as Special Counsel in Market Leading Real Estate Practice