Julie Nevins has been litigating complex commercial disputes for over 20 years. She handles a broad range of matters, including insurance coverage, bad faith, business torts, contracts, real property, outdoor advertising and intellectual property.
No matter what the substantive area, Julie views each matter as a unique problem to be solved creatively and efficiently to meet the client’s particular goals.
Julie has experience with various types of insurance coverage, including commercial general liability, professional liability, directors and officers, property and casualty, and media liability. In addition to litigating, Julie provides counseling on coverage and claims handling.
Julie also counsels clients in the outdoor advertising area on compliance with state and municipal sign law and assists them in navigating Florida’s regulatory landscape.
Julie earned her J.D. from Florida State University. She was Editor-in-Chief of the Florida State University Law Review and a member of the Order of the Coif.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in insurance coverage dispute regarding attempted enforcement of $40 million Coblentz judgment, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal of putative class action in favor of insurer that alleged violations of the Medicare Secondary payer Act.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in insurance coverage dispute, defeating claim for coverage by estoppel, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained favorable resolution for outdoor advertising company in scorched earth dispute over sign inventory against a competitor.
- Obtained opinion from the Supreme Court of Florida for Public Defender of Miami-Dade County approving of relief requested for excessive caseloads.
Honors & Awards
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers, Corporate and Business Litigation, 2015-2019
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Up and Comers, Corporate and Business Litigation, 2014
- Daily Business Review, Most Effective Lawyers, Pro Bono, 2008 & 2013
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Insurance Coverage Law Center
- Co-author, “Will Business Interruption Insurance Provide Coverage for Coronavirus Losses?,” Insurance Law Coverage Center, March 12, 2020
- Co-author, “Will Business Interruption Insurance Provide Coverage for Coronavirus Losses?,” Stroock Special Bulletin, March 6, 2020
- Co-author, “Steps for Businesses to Consider as Coronavirus Spreads,” Stroock Special Bulletin, March 3, 2020
- Co-author, “The State of Medicare Secondary Payer Act Litigation,” Law360, July 27, 2018
- Co-author, “Where They’ve Been and Where They’re Going: Secondary Payer Lawsuits Involving Medicare Advantage Organizations,” For the Defense, May 2018
- Co-author, “The Eleventh Circuit Expands Private Insurers’ Exposure for the Reimbursement of Medicare Payments Under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act,” Stroock Special Bulletin, December 7, 2016
- “Reed v. Town of Gilbert: A Case of Content-Based Discrimination?,” Inside Counsel Magazine, February 9, 2015
- “Assessing the Personal Impact of the Coronavirus,” NU Property Casualty 360, March 2, 2020
- “Insurer Ramifications From COVID-19 Could Surpass Those of Past Pandemics,” AM Best, February 25, 2020
Admitted To Practice
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
J.D., magna cum laude, Florida State University College of Law, 1999; Order of the Coif; Editor-in-Chief, Florida State University Law Review
B.A., Vassar College, 1987
In The Spotlight
NewsBack To Full Bio
April 2, 2020 | Insurance Coverage Law Center
Julie Nevins Named to Insurance Coverage Law Center Advisory Board
March 26, 2020 | Law360
Julie Nevins Discusses Business Insurance Coverage Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
March 13, 2020 | Insurance Coverage Law Center
Julie Nevins and Robert Lewin Featured in Insurance Coverage Law Center
March 10, 2020 | PropertyCasualty360
Julie Nevins Discusses Coronavirus Insurance Coverage
March 5, 2020 | Property Casualty360
Julie Nevins Discusses Coronavirus Insurance Outlook
March 2, 2020 | Daily Business Review
Julie Nevins Addresses Global Company Responses to Coronavirus
February 19, 2020 | Business Insurance
Julie Nevins Quoted on Impact of Coronavirus
Spring 2018 | AIRROC Matters
Robert Lewin, Michele Jacobson, Laura Besvinick, Julie Nevins and Vincent Laurenzano featured in “AIRROC at 180 Maiden Lane”
January 23, 2018
Four Stroock Lawyers Recognized as Top Lawyers in South Florida Legal Guide 2018
February 3, 2017 | Law360
Julie E. Nevins quoted in "How To Ask A Jury For Money"
December 19, 2016 | Law360
Laura E. Besvinick quoted and Julie E. Nevins mentioned in "District Court Kept Jurisdiction After Arbitration: 11th Circ."
April 13, 2015
Stroock Bolsters Litigation Practice Further with Two Partners and Special Counsel in New York and Miami
PublicationsBack To Full Bio
March 23, 2020 | Stroock Special Bulletin
The Constitutionality of Government Action Mandating COVID-19 Business Interruption Coverage
March 6, 2020 | Stroock Special Bulletin
Will Business Interruption Insurance Provide Coverage for Coronavirus Losses?
March 3, 2020 | Stroock Special Bulletin
Steps for Businesses to Consider as Coronavirus Spreads
July 27, 2018 | Law360
“The State of Medicare Secondary Payer Act Litigation”
May 2018 | For The Defense
“Where They've Been and Where They're Going: Secondary Payer Lawsuits Involving Medicare Advantage Organizations”
December 7, 2016 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"The Eleventh Circuit Expands Private Insurers’ Exposure for the Reimbursement of Medicare Payments Under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act"