Jason has acted as counsel to major utilities, telecommunications companies, investment banks, renewable energy developers, independent power producers, and large customers of electricity. He has advised and represented clients in a variety of contexts, including the drafting and negotiation of infrastructure agreements, telecommunications agreements, power purchase agreements, and the selling and buying of environmental attributes (e.g., renewable energy certificates and verified emission reductions). Jason has also been involved in energy-related litigation, network and transmission issues, and regulatory proceedings before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Bonneville Power Administration, and state utility regulatory bodies.
- Represents clients in the development and negotiation of project development agreements, including engineering, procurement and construction agreements including those utilizing a number of different pricing models, such as lump-sum turnkey, cost-plus, open book, and incentive-based contracts.
- Represents clients in the development and negotiation of project finance, structured finance, and securitization transactions. This includes swaps, derivatives, and trade options and regulatory issues arising under the Dodd-Frank Act and related regulatory schemes.
- Represents clients in the development and negotiation of telecommunications infrastructure agreements, including broadband and telecommunications services to businesses; dark fiber agreements; lit fiber agreements; indefeasible rights to use agreements; leasing agreements; interconnection agreements; and operations and maintenance agreements.
- Represents clients in the development and negotiation of agreements for the acquisition of renewable energy credits and verified emissions reductions.
- Represents energy clients in the negotiation and drafting of power purchase agreements (both renewable energy and traditional energy), interconnection agreements, and other power supply and purchase arrangements.
- Represents clients in request for proposal (RFP) procurement processes for project development and asset purchases, including preparation and development of RFPs and due diligence and analysis of proposals.
- Represents clients in the development and negotiation of international supply chain network agreements and arrangements.
- Represents energy clients in administrative litigation and rulemaking matters before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), including Federal Power Act section 205 applications and approvals for FERC-jurisdictional sales, Qualifying Facilities (QF) and Exempt Wholesale Generator (EWG) issues, market rate authority, Federal Power Act section 203 transfer of jurisdictional assets; investigations into compliance, and other issues.
- Represents energy clients in administrative litigation and rulemaking matters before the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA), including power and transmission rate proceedings and matters involving the Residential Exchange Program.
- Represents energy clients in administrative proceedings before state regulatory bodies, including the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission. These proceedings include rulemakings, general rate cases, power-cost-only rate cases, accounting petitions, petitions for declaratory orders, applications for transfers of property, and applications for mergers.
- Represents energy clients in federal courts, including the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court, for review of agency proceedings related to energy matters.
Honors & Awards
- Ranked by Chambers USA, America’s Leading Energy & Natural Resource Lawyers, 2021
- Listed in Washington Law & Politics, Rising Stars of Washington Law, 2009-2011, 2013-2016
- American Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
Speeches & Events
- Speaker, “Fundamentals of Successful Biogas/RNG Project Development and Financing II,” 15th Annual International Biomass Conference and Expo, March 15, 2022
- Speaker, “Energy Leadership Summit 2018 Expands the NW Sustainability Dialog,” Energy Leadership Summit, October 3, 2018
- Speaker, “Energy Storage: Seattle,” Law Seminars International, June 11, 2018
- Co-author, “Tax Credit Incentives for Carbon Sequestration: Potentially the Most Impactful U.S. Policy to Battle Climate Change,” Bloomberg Tax, May 3, 2021
Admitted To Practice*
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
*Admitted to practice only in Washington. Not admitted in D.C. Practicing under the supervision of a member of the District of Columbia Bar.
J.D., magna cum laude, The University of Michigan Law School, 2001; Order of the Coif
B.A., summa cum laude, Central Michigan University, 1998