Cristina Rodriguez has over 15 years of experience in commercial business litigation in federal and state courts with a focus on complex multidistrict and cross-border litigation. She has extensive experience in securities-fraud and fiduciary-duty litigation, including class actions, derivative claims, and bankruptcy adversary proceedings. Cristina has also worked with special litigation committees and conducted other internal investigations. In addition to litigating, Cristina provides counseling and advice on various corporate issues, including identifying and evaluating potential litigation risks and eDiscovery or information governance concerns.
Over the years, Ms. Rodriguez has handled various types of insurance disputes, including coverage, interpleader and bad-faith litigation, in federal and state courts. She is familiar with various types of insurance coverage, including directors and officers liability, life insurance, property and casualty, and commercial general liability.
Additionally, Ms. Rodriguez has represented domestic and international companies and foreign individuals in various disputes involving parallel proceedings in the United States, including Section 1782 Petitions, service of process or taking of evidence abroad pursuant to the appropriate Hague Convention and/or Inter-American Letters Rogatory Convention. She is also developing a robust pro-bono immigration practice, helping immigrant families navigate the asylum application process in both affirmative asylum and removal proceedings.
Ms. Rodriguez is fluent in Spanish.
- Representing several Canadian insurers in various U.S. proceedings in federal and state courts related to a primary coverage dispute in Canada arising from the Rothstein Ponzi scheme.
- Representing several life-insurance companies in interpleader, breach of contract, and coverage disputes.
- Advising commercial liability insurer with respect to potential bad-faith and claims-handling issues in pending civil litigation.
- Representing public property-casualty insurance company and officers and directors against securities-fraud class action and related derivative suit.
- Representing high profile directors and officers of a bankrupt body armor company in a U.S. adversary proceeding in coordination with the defense of a Canadian shareholder securities-fraud class action, winning motion to dismiss.
- Representing underwriters in a securities class action arising out of a U.S. $50 million IPO for a social-networking company before the federal district court and appellate court, approving dismissal with prejudice.
- Advising the special litigation committee of the board of a medical products company investigating a shareholder demand arising out of a steep decline in stock price, including conducting factual investigation related to demand.
- Representing national bank with modification, termination, and transfer of several trusts across the country, coordinating with local counsel in numerous jurisdictions including New York, New Jersey, Texas, Florida, California, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.
- Representing members of Argentine and Bolivian family, and estate, in cross-border litigation over frozen bank accounts in Florida and Cayman Islands.
- Representing Argentine heir in litigation regarding real estate and intangible assets of father’s Argentine estate hidden under Netherland Antilles and Panamanian bearer share companies.
Honors & Awards
- 2019 Human Rights Volunteer Award, received as a member of the Somali 92 Team
- 2019 Arthur C. Helton Memorial Human Rights Award, received as a member of the Somali 92 Team
- Stroock Public Service Project, Pro Bono Award 2017-2018
- Co-Chair of The Florida Bar Grievance Committee 11-H, Eleventh Judicial Circuit
- Immigration Equality, pro-bono attorney
- Put Something Back, pro-bono attorney
- The Florida Bar, Fee Arbitration Program, arbitrator
- Hispanic National Bar Association, member
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Division, member
- Voting rights law volunteer in the 2004-2016 Presidential Elections
- Former Chair and Member of The Florida Bar Grievance Committee, Eleventh Judicial Circuit, 2009-2012
- Former Member of the Board of Directors of Legal Services of Greater Miami
Speeches & Events
- Drafter and Coordinator, “Bad Faith Nightmares: Recent Trends & Themes in Bad Faith and Extra-Contractual Insurance Litigation,” HNBA Annual Conference, Kansas City, MO, September 6-9, 2017
- Panelist, “The Red Flags Indicating You Have Retained a Bad Expert,” HNVA 41st Annual Convention, Chicago, IL, September 7-10,2016
- Panelist, “Don’t Delete! eDiscovery and Your Client,” HNBA 2016 Corporate Counsel Conference, Las Vegas, NV, March 16-19, 2016
Admitted To Practice
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida; U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida; U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Florida
J.D., with honors, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 2002
B.A., University of Florida, 1998
In The Spotlight
PublicationsBack To Full Bio
April 1, 2020 | Stroock Special Bulletin
Pre-Negotiation Letters During COVID-19
March 24, 2020 | Stroock Special Bulletin
Relief for Borrowers From the Federal Government and in NY and Fla.