Bradley Kulman practices corporate and securities law, with particular focus on mergers and acquisitions and private equity (portfolio company acquisitions and dispositions). He has extensive experience representing buyers and sellers of investment management businesses and represents several prominent family offices in their investments and succession planning. Brad regularly counsels clients involved in general corporate and securities transactions, including venture capital and other public and private offerings of debt and equity securities. He has served as outside general counsel for portfolio companies of private equity firms and real estate development and management companies and has represented U.S. and European interests in the acquisition of significant Hungarian businesses, including the country’s largest banks, and electricity supply and generation companies.
Brad represents numerous pro bono clients, including NYC Kids RISE, which operates an innovative college scholarship and savings platform across all public elementary schools in New York City. He also represents non-profit organizations focused on music instruction and health care.
Brad has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America, The Legal 500 and Super Lawyers. Additionally, he was a finalist for M&A Advisor’s annual M&A Advisor Award.
Brad’s recent transactions include representing:
- McKinsey & Company in connection with acquisitions, joint ventures and equity investments, including its acquisition of Candid Partners, a leading cloud consulting firm.
- Mad Rose Group, a prestigious wine importer and distributor, in a recapitalization led by Incline Partners.
- Loeb Partners, as the controlling shareholder of Intersections Inc., in a “going private” transaction joined by iSubscribed, WndrCo and General Catalyst.
- RCG Longview Management, a real estate investment manager, on its sale to CenterSquare Investment Management.
- Shape Pte, an advanced analytics and machine learning company sponsored by MODEC Inc. and Mitsui & Co., Ltd., in its formation and financing transactions.
- Atlas Merchant Capital in connection with the $2 billion acquisition of Talcott Resolution, the run-off life insurance and annuity division of the Hartford and Atlas’ investment in Somerset Reinsurance, a provider of reinsurance to the life insurance and annuity sectors.
- Carr Properties in the $300 million convertible debt financing by Clal Insurance Enterprises Holdings Ltd.
- Broadridge Financial Solutions in the acquisition of the trade processing and directed trustee business of Wilmington Trust Retirement and Institutional Services.
- Challenger Financial, an Australian investment management firm, in connection with its investment in Kudu Investment Partners and Kudu Investment Management.
- Fred Alger Management in venture capital and private equity investments.
- XL Catlin in private equity investments.
- JPMorgan’s Commingled Pension Trust Fund in establishing a joint venture with Alony Hetz Properties and Investments that controls Carr Properties, a preeminent owner, operator and developer of real estate in the Washington, D.C. area.
- Jefferies Capital Partners in connection with its investment in Epic Pantheon International Gas Shipping Ltd., an owner/operator of a fleet of liquefied petroleum gas carriers.
- Nomura Corporate Research and Asset Management in the sale of its CLO management business to Ares Management.
- Parsons & Whittemore in its sale of two of the largest paper pulp mills in the U.S. to Georgia-Pacific.
- SkyBridge Capital in connection with its acquisition of the hedge fund seeding and advisory business from Citi Alternative Investments LLC (CAI) and in connection with 14 seed investments in emerging hedge fund and private equity managers, totaling over $600 million.
- JPMorgan Infrastructure Investments Fund in connection with the fund formation and maintenance matters and the acquisition of the Palouse and Route 66 wind projects from First Wind.
- Arcelor Mittal in connection with the acquisition of AK Steel’s joint venture interest in AK-ISG Steel Coating Company.
- W.L. Ross & Co. in connection with the formation of International Steel Group and its acquisition of LTV Steel.
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers
- The Legal 500 United States
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Director and Vice President, Bloomingdale School of Music, 2014-present
Speeches & Events
- Speaker, NYSSCPA’s 1st Annual Qualified Opportunity Funds and Opportunity Zones Symposium, New York, NY, June 19, 2019
- Speaker, Family Office Symposium, New York, NY, November 8, 2018
- Panelist, “Investing in Intellectual Property as an Asset Class,” Investing in Intellectual Property Assets and Enforcement, New York, NY, November 2012
- Moderator, “Managing Critical Business Risks,” SALT (Skybridge Alternatives Conference) 2009, Las Vegas, NV, May 2009
- Co-author, “Preparing For The Beneficial Ownership Information Reporting Requirements Of The Corporate Transparency Act,” Stroock Client Alert, March 21, 2023
- Co-author, “FinCEN Issues Final Rule for Beneficial Ownership Reporting Requirements,” Stroock Client Alert, October 18, 2022
- Co-author, “Second Circuit Rules on When a Private Securities Transaction is Subject to U.S. Civil Fraud Remedies,” Stroock Special Bulletin, March 8, 2012
- Co-author, "SEC and CFTC Finalize Reporting Rules for Private Fund Adviser Systemic Risk," Derivatives Financial Product Report, March 2012, Vol. 13, No.7.
- Co-author, "How Can Offshore Hedge Funds Ensure That Section 10(b) Will Apply to Their Transactions in Securities Not Listed on U.S. Exchanges?" Hedge Fund Law Report, Vol. 5, No. 13.
- Co-author, "SEC and CFTC Finalize Reporting Rules for Private Fund Adviser Systemic Risk," Stroock Special Bulletin, December 5, 2011
- Co-author, "U.S. Regulatory Agencies Propose Regulations to Implement Volcker Rule," Stroock Special Bulletin, November 7, 2011
- Co-author, "Cross-Border Investments and New Reporting Requirements for Private Funds: TIC Form SLT," Stroock Special Bulletin, September 8, 2011
- Co-author, "FTC Issues Final Rules Regarding HSR Premerger Notification," Stroock Special Bulletin, August 11, 2011
- Co-author, "CFTC Proposes Removal of Certain Exemptions for Commodity Pool Operators and Heightened Reporting Standards," Stroock Special Bulletin, March 15, 2011
- Co-author, "CFTC and SEC Propose Reporting Rules for Private Fund Adviser Systemic Risk," Stroock Special Bulletin, February 22, 2011
- Co-author, "SEC Proposes 'Say on Pay,' 'Say When on Pay,' and 'Say on Golden Parachute' Rules," Stroock Special Bulletin, October 25, 2010
- Co-author, "Prime Brokerage: The Hidden Dangers," Bloomberg Law Reports: Banking and Finance, October 6, 2008
Admitted To Practice
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1987
B.A., Brown University, 1984