Akshay N. Belani focuses his practice on the application of derivatives in trading, structured products and capital markets. He represents hedge funds, banks, institutional investors, broker-dealers and other financial institutions in all aspects of their futures, derivatives and commodities trading. Akshay has a breadth of experience in futures, derivatives and commodities laws, as well as regulations affecting both buy- and sell-side market participants.
Akshay is actively involved in the development of standardized documentation in the OTC and cleared derivatives markets and regularly advises clients on issues related to Dodd-Frank derivatives reform. He is also a frequent speaker and writer on topics related to the global derivatives market structure, with an emphasis on Dodd-Frank.
Akshay also participates in pro bono matters and is active in the Start Small Think Big Clinic and has handled matters for organizations such as Kids in Need of Defense, New York Lawyers for the Public Interest and Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts.
Honors & Awards
- The Legal 500 United States, Recommended, Finance: Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Law360, Member, Practice Group of the Year, Asset Management
- Member, American Bar Association, Committee on Futures and Derivatives Law
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Member, New York City Bar Association, Committee on Futures and Derivatives Regulation
- Member, New York International Law Review
Admitted To Practice
J.D., St. John’ s University School of Law, 2004
B.A., Tufts University, 1998
In The Spotlight
NewsBack To Full Bio
June 7, 2019
Stroock Receives Honors in 16 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2019: 41 Stroock Lawyers Recognized
July 20, 2018 | Law360
Akshay Belani and Patrick Menasco featured in “Stroock Picks Up Partners From Steptoe, Morgan Lewis”
July 16, 2018
Stroock Continues Lateral Growth with Addition of Two Partners in New York and Washington, D.C.