Andrew Astuno is an associate with the firm’s National Security / CFIUS / Compliance practice. His CFIUS work draws on his experience with the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Investment Security and the World Bank. As a former Policy Advisor at Treasury, Andrew was responsible for reviewing Joint Voluntary Notices and Declarations before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS); evaluating proposed transactions for national security concerns; and collaborating with agencies across CFIUS during the evaluation, investigation, and mitigation phases of reviews.
Andrew’s prior work also involved negotiating, drafting and advising on international debt and equity transactions. He has experience in anti-money laundering compliance and investor-state arbitration claims.
- Advise one of the largest investment groups in the world on a large number of CFIUS transactions, spanning a wide variety of industries including oil and gas processing, mobile satellite services, and telecom services, among others. The values of these deals range from the hundreds of millions into the billions.
- Representation of major corporations operating globally in aerospace, defense and security sectors; advice and counsel concerning U.S. national security regulatory approvals for acquisitions, including export control compliance matters before the Department of State and the Department of Commerce
- Providing CFIUS guidance for one of the world's largest private renewable energy companies in the acquisition of a clean energy company.
- Obtaining CFIUS clearance for a major Australian communications network regarding acquisition of a U.S. digital infrastructure company focused on fiber optic network solutions.
- Represented a U.S. human capital management (HCM) and employee experience solutions corporation before CFIUS on a $11 billion transaction involving a consortium of acquirers.
- Counseling a provider of Diffusion and Thermal Sprayed coatings for aerospace components in its sale to an Italian industrial coating equipment company.
- Representation of a global leader in engineering and manufacturing before CFIUS and DDTC in its sale of a subsidiaries to a Japanese manufacturer of electric motors.
- Obtaining CFIUS clearance for an acquisition of an agricultural investment company.
- Guiding major renewable power producer in acquisitions of a number of renewable energy projects in the U.S.
- CFIUS representation of a U.K. based investment holding company in an acquisition of a multidisciplinary engineering, investigation and construction company.
- Representation of a major South Korean financial investment and banking company, providing CFIUS counsel for U.S. commercial property investments.
Speeches & Events
- Speaker, National Security Studies Forum, The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University, May 18, 2022
- Co-author, “The BEA Survey of Foreign-Owned Businesses Is Coming Around Again,” Stroock Client Alert, February 23, 2023
- Co-author, “It’s Now Official: The United Kingdom and New Zealand Are ‘Excepted Foreign States,’” Stroock Client Alert, February 14, 2023
- Co-Author, “New Russia Sanctions: Focus on Facilitators of Sanctions Evasion and Virtual Currency Mining,” Stroock Client Alert, April 22, 2022
- Co-Author, "FinCEN to Banks: Look Out for Proceeds of Russian Kleptocracy (But Other Businesses Need to Pay Attention as Well)," Stroock Client Alert, April 18, 2022
- Co-Author, “New U.S. Sanctions, Prohibition on New Investment in Russia, and Possible Russian Countermeasures,” Stroock Client Alert, April 13, 2022
- Co-author, "The U.S. is Going After Oligarchs' Assets: Is Your Transaction at Risk?," Stroock Client Alert, March 22, 2022
- Co-author, "New Bans on Russian Imports, Exports and Investments: What Businesses Need to Know," Stroock Client Alert, March 14, 2022
- Co-author, "Russian Sanctions Reach the Energy Sector: What Businesses Can and Can’t Do," Stroock Client Alert, March 9, 2022
- Co-author, "The Bright Line Gets Brighter: The List of 'Critical Technologies' Requiring CFIUS Review Gets an Update," Stroock Client Alert, November 25, 2021
- Editor, “CFIUS Rebalanced: FIRMMA and China,” American Bar Association AdLaw Section’s 13th Annual Homeland Security Law Institute, February 2019
- Author, “Enforcing Contracts” chapter in World Bank 2018 Doing Business in Nigeria report
- Co-author, “Looking Back on Power Africa in 2016,” Norton Rose Fullbright Inside Africa, February 2017
- Author, “Is a New Working Interest Partner Under a New Lease Subject to Obligations Contained in an Existing Operating Agreement?,” The Rocky Mountain Landman, April 2014
Admitted To Practice
District of Columbia
LL.M, Taxation, Georgetown University Law Center, 2020
J.D., University of Denver Strum College of Law, 2011
B.A., University of Notre Dame, 2007