- Honors & Awards
- Speeches & Events
Former United States District Court Judge Shira A. Scheindlin serves as an arbitrator, mediator and special master. She also conducts neutral evaluations, mock trials and arguments as well as internal investigations and is a member of the firm’s Litigation Practice. Since leaving the bench in May of 2016 she has conducted many mediations and arbitrations and has handled a number of mock trials and arguments. She is also a member of Stroock’s Internal Investigations Unit, formed to help companies and organizations respond to suspected sexual misconduct.
Judge Scheindlin, who was appointed to the bench in 1994 by President Bill Clinton, has presided over numerous criminal and civil cases during her 22-year tenure with the Southern District of New York. Among many important cases, her opinions in electronic case management are recognized as case law landmarks, and she is the co-author of the first casebook on electronic discovery. Judge Scheindlin previously served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, a Magistrate Judge in the Eastern District of New York and General Counsel for the New York City Department of Investigation. Earlier in her career she spent many years in private practice, including a stint as a litigation associate at Stroock.
Judge Scheindlin is a frequently published author and lecturer. She is currently an adjunct professor at NYU Law School and has also held that position at Cardozo and Brooklyn Law Schools. She is a member of the College of Commercial Arbitrators (CCA) and the CPR Panel, where she serves as Co-Chair of the Diversity Task Force. She is also a member of the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR). She is the Chair of the Federal Courts Subcommittee of the ABA’s Standing Committee on the American Judicial System, the former Chair of the Commercial and Federal Litigation Section of the New York State Bar Association and the Co-Chair of the Section’s Task Force on Women’s Initiatives. She is or has been a member of various committees of the American Law Institute, the New York City Bar Association, the New York County Lawyers’ Association, the Federal Bar Council and the New York Inn of Court. She also served for seven years on the Advisory Committee on Civil Rules of the Judicial Conference of the United States. She now serves on the Board of Directors of the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, the American Constitution Society, the Bronx Defenders and the Justice Resource Center.
HONORS & AWARDS
- David G. Trager Award, Eastern District U.S. Attorney's Office, 2016
- Stanley Fuld Award for Contributions to Commercial Litigation, New York State Bar Association, 2014
- Jurist of the Year, New York Criminal Bar Association, 2014
- Judicial Recognition Award, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2008
- William Nelson Cromwell Award for Outstanding Public Service, New York County Lawyers' Association, 2007
- Edward Weinfeld Award for Distinguished Contributions to the Administration of Justice, New York County Lawyers' Association, 2005
- William J. Brennan Award, New York State Bar Association, 2003
- Chair, Federal Courts Subcommittee of the Standing Committee on the American Judicial System, American Bar Association
- Member, Advisory Council, Cornell Law School
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Council
- Member, New York County Lawyers' Association
- Member, Council on Judicial Administration, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Board of Directors, Justice Resource Center (Mentor)
- President's Council, Good Shepherd Services
- Judicial Advisory Board, The Sedona Conference
- Board of Directors (Executive Committee), Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Board of Directors, American Constitution Society
- Board of Directors, Bronx Defenders
SPEECHES & EVENTSJudge Scheindlin is a frequent lecturer at law schools, bar associations and professional associations. Below is a select list of some presentations. She speaks on many topics including: complex civil litigation, class actions, discovery of electronic data, ADR, women in the law, the Sentencing Guidelines, impact litigation, race and policing and the War on Terrorism.
- American Bar Association
- Columbia University Law School
- Cornell Law School
- Federal Judicial Center
- Fordham Law School
- Georgetown Law School
- New York State Bar Association
- Practising Law Institute
- Princeton University
- Stanford Law School
- UCLA School of Law
- University of Chicago Law School
- University of Pennsylvania School of Law
- Yale Law School
- Co-author, "Electronic Discovery and Digital Evidence in a Nutshell," West Academic Publishing, 2009; Second Edition, 2016
- Co-author, "Electronic Discovery and Digital Evidence, Cases and Materials," American Casebook Series, West Academic Publishing, 2008; Second Edition, 2012; Third Edition, 2016
- "Random Thoughts of a Federal District Judge, Fourth Annual Institute for Investor Protection Conference: The New Landscape of Securities Fraud Class Actions," Loyola University Chicago Law Journal, Spring 2015, Vol. 46, No. 3
- "Big Data and Privacy: Finding the Balance," New York Law Journal, February 10, 2014
- Co-author, "Criminal Law Catches Up: New ESI Guidelines Issued," New York Law Journal, February 29, 2012
- "The Future of Litigation," New York Law Journal, February 5, 2010
- Co-author, "Sanctions in Electronic Discovery Cases: Views from the Judges," 78 Fordham L. Rev. (2009)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., cum laude, Cornell Law School, 1975
M.A., Columbia University, 1969
B.A., University of Michigan, 1967
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Ira Raphaelson, Former Senior Justice Department Official and General Counsel to Major Corporations, Joins Stroock in Washington, D.C.
February 6, 2018|Press Release
Shira Scheindlin quoted in "JPMorgan Holds Law Firms’ Feet to the Fire on Diversity"
February 2, 2018|As mentioned in: New York Law Journal
Shira Scheindlin and Robert Abrams mentioned in "Clients Have No Idea How To Deal With Sexual Harassment, So Gear Up For That Work"
January 29, 2018|As mentioned in: Above the Law
Shira Scheindlin quoted and Robert Abrams mentioned in "How #MeToo Is Changing Internal Investigations"
January 28, 2018|As mentioned in: Law360
Shira Scheindlin featured in "5 Questions with Shira Scheindlin: How Stroock is Helping Organizations Deal with Suspected Sexual Misconduct"
January 17, 2018|As mentioned in: Legal Executive Institute
Shira Scheindlin, Robert Abrams and Howard Lavin quoted in "Law Firms Add Expertise for Businesses Facing Sex Harass Claims"
January 10, 2018|As mentioned in: Bloomberg Big Law Business
Shira Scheindlin and Alan Klinger quoted; Robert Abrams, Joel Cohen, Howard Lavin, Michele Pahmer and Elizabeth DiMichele mentioned in "Stroock announces internal investigation unit focusing on sexual misconduct allegations"
January 9, 2018|As mentioned in: ABA Journal
Shira Scheindlin quoted; Robert Abrams, Joel Cohen, Howard Lavin, Michele Pahmer and Elizabeth DiMichele mentioned in "As #MeToo Roils Clients, Stroock Launches Unit to Vet Sex Claims"
January 9, 2018|As mentioned in: New York Law Journal
Stroock Forms Internal Investigations Unit to Help Companies and Organizations Respond to Suspected Sexual Misconduct
January 8, 2018|Press Release
Shira Scheindlin and Joel Cohen author op-ed "After #MeToo, we can’t ditch due process"
January 8, 2018|As mentioned in: The Guardian
Shira Scheindlin and Alan Klinger quoted; Robert Abrams, Joel Cohen, Howard Lavin, Michele Pahmer and Elizabeth DiMichele mentioned in "Ex-Judge, AG Head Stroock’s New Harassment Probe Team"
January 8, 2018|As mentioned in: Law360
Shira Scheindlin featured in "JPMorgan Initiative Aims to Boost Women’s Roles on Litigation Teams"
November 28, 2017|As mentioned in: The American Lawyer
Shira Scheindlin featured in "A Growing Lawyer ‘Army’ Is Banding Together to Protect Immigrants"
November 23, 2017|As mentioned in: The Nation
Shira Scheindlin featured in "Retired Judge Shira Scheindlin’s Career and Future, in Her Words"
October 26, 2017|As featured in: Legaltech news
Shira Scheindlin featured on Fox 5 News "Brooklyn court rule could bolster female, minority lawyers"
September 12, 2017|As mentioned in: Fox 5 News
Shira Scheindlin quoted in "Amid Arpaio Storm, Calif. Moves to Restrict Immigration-Status Disclosure"
August 29, 2017|As mentioned in: The Recorder
Shira Scheindlin featured in "Male Lawyers at Court: Let the Women Talk! A Conversation with Shira Scheindlin"
August 24, 2017|As featured in: Legal Executive Institute
Shira Scheindlin featured in "Gender Disparity and Imbalance in Big Law"
August 17, 2017|As featured in: Bloomberg Big Law Business
Shira Scheindlin quoted in "Immigration Start-Up 'Road to Status' Can Help Prevent Catastrophic Mistakes"
June 1, 2017|As mentioned in: Legal Executive Institute
Shira A. Scheindlin featured in "The American Lawyer’s Lateral All-Stars"
February 1, 2017|As mentioned in: The American Lawyer
Stroock Hosts Forum on Impact of Media on Justice
December 6, 2016|Press Release
Robert Abrams, Joel Cohen and Shira A. Scheindlin mentioned in "Panel on Media Actions"
December 6, 2016|As mentioned in: New York Law Journal
Shira A. Scheindlin quoted in "'Judicial Emergencies' Near Breaking Point as Nominees Languish in Congress"
November 28, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
PBS Interviews Former U.S. District Court Judge Shira A. Scheindlin
October 11, 2016|As mentioned in: PBS
Shira A. Scheindlin mentioned in "Judges Discuss Applications of Amendments to Federal Rules of Civil Procedure"
September 16, 2016|As mentioned in: Law Technology News
Shira A. Scheindlin profiled in "Friend of the Court"
September 5, 2016|As mentioned in: News and Events: College of Literature, Science, and the Arts – University of Michigan
Stroock Wins Constitutional Claim to Place Philip Pidot on the Republican Primary Ballot for Congress
August 22, 2016 |Press Release
Jerry H. Goldfeder featured in "Big Law Democrat Reps Republican in Congressional District Case"
August 22, 2016|As mentioned in: Bloomberg Law
Stroock's Shira A. Scheindlin profiled by Law360 in Q&A
August 19, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
Shira A. Scheindlin featured in The National Law Journal's "Movers" Article
May 16, 2016|As mentioned in: The National Law Journal
Shira A. Scheindlin profiled in "A Tough Judge Reflects While Starting New Life"
May 9, 2016|As mentioned in: The Chief
"Judicial Profile: Hon. Shira Scheindlin Senior Judge, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York"
May 2016|As mentioned in: The Federal Lawyer
Shira A. Scheindlin featured in "Free to Speak, Stop-and-Frisk Judge Claims Some Victories"
May 2, 2016|As mentioned in: The Associated Press
Shira A. Scheindlin quoted in "Judge Recalls Bloomberg & Kelly's "Angry White Men" Reaction To Losing Stop-And-Frisk Case"
May 2, 2016|As mentioned in: Gothamist
Former Southern District of New York Judge Shira Scheindlin Returns to Stroock
May 2, 2016|Press Release
Shira A. Scheindlin featured in "Judge Scheindlin Joins JAMS to Focus on Cases of Public Interest"
May 2, 2016|As mentioned in: Bloomberg BNA
Shira A. Scheindlin featured in "Scheindlin Assumes New Roles at JAMS, Stroock"
May 2, 2016|As mentioned in: New York Law Journal
Shira A. Scheindlin quoted in "Departing Judge Offers Blunt Defense of Ruling in Stop-and-Frisk Case"
May 2, 2016|As mentioned in: The New York Times
Shira A. Scheindlin featured in "NY Judge Scheindlin Leaves Bench, But Not Public Interest"
May 2, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
Shira A. Scheindlin featured in "April: Lateral Litigator Winners and Losers"
May 2, 2016|As mentioned in: The AM Law Litigation Daily
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"The Impact of Race and Policing – Past, Present, and Future"
Volume 25, Issue 1, 2016|The National Black Law Journal
- "Hard Talk Forum: Will the widespread use of police body cameras improve police accountability? Yes.”Spring 2015|Americas Quarterly
- "The Adverse Inference Instruction After Revised Rule 37E: An Evidence-Based Proposal"December 2014 |Fordham Law Review, Vol. 83, No. 3
EVENTSBack To Full Bio
MTMP Spectacular Spring Conference
April 11-13, 2018
Prying Eyes: Think Confidential and Privileged Client Information Is Safe at the Border? Guess again.
August 11, 2017
Emergency Applications in International Arbitration: When Is an Arbitrator as Good as a Judge?
August 10, 2017
Commercial Arbitration Training for Arbitrators and Counsel:
June 19-21, 2017
PLI's 22nd Annual Consumer Financial Services Institute
May 4-5, 2017
PLI's 22nd Annual Consumer Financial Services Institute
March 27-28, 2017
Can Media Actions Impair Justice?
December 6, 2016
PREX16: 5th Annual Conference on Preservation Excellence: Tomorrow's E-Discovery
September 13-15, 2016
- "Hard Talk Forum: Will the widespread use of police body cameras improve police accountability? Yes.”