Robert Lewin is co-chair of Stroock’s Insurance and Reinsurance Group. He has represented clients in disputes in both property and casualty and life insurance products, including comprehensive general liability, directors and officers, errors and omissions, excess and umbrella liability, worker’s compensation and financial guarantee and performance bonds. Robert also has represented clients in regulatory matters, including contentious Form A proceedings.
In the reinsurance area, he has represented cedents, reinsurers, retrocessionaires, pool members, intermediaries and liquidators in more than 100 disputes, over 25 of which entailed hearings or trials.
In his 40-year career, Robert has worked both at the trial and appellate levels in domestic and foreign jurisdictions. He has successfully tried cases that have resulted in nine-figure awards. He has served as lead counsel in multiparty cases and appeals.
He has particular expertise in claims arising from natural and man-made disasters, including Enron, the 9/11 terrorist attacks and Hurricane Katrina.
Robert is renowned for creative thinking; he applied a novel legal theory of liability to recover in excess of $70 million from Lloyd’s of London in one dispute. He also led a team of U.S., British and Bermuda attorneys in successfully defending an insurer against a $100 million misrepresentation claim.
Robert led Stroock’s pro bono committee for more than 10 years and has served on the Board of Directors of the New York Lawyers for the Public Interest since 1999. He is active in professional organizations and has served as a speaker at conferences.
He’s been named to Chambers list of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for many years, with one client calling him a “bulldog with adversaries.” He also has been recognized by Super Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal as among the country’s top lawyers.
- Arbitrations on behalf of ceding companies against reinsurers relating to Enron claims;
- Arbitrations on behalf of ceding companies and reinsurers relating to asbestos and environmental claims;
- Arbitrations on behalf of ceding companies and reinsurers over 9/11 World Trade Center property claims;
- Arbitrations on behalf of ceding companies and reinsurers relating to hurricane losses under catastrophe and clash treaties;
- Arbitration on behalf of a reinsurer against a ceding company relating to excess workers’ compensation treaties;
- Arbitration awarding rescission of a property treaty based upon cedent’s material misrepresentations;
- Arbitrations on behalf of a ceding company against reinsurers relating to the fraudulent issuance of surety bonds;
- Litigations and arbitrations on behalf of ceding companies against reinsurers asserting late notice and bad faith;
- Litigation challenging the reinsurer’s efforts to replace a party arbitrator in connection with a pending arbitration;
- Litigations involving requests that the court appoint a neutral umpire in a reinsurance arbitration;
- Litigation on behalf of an insurer in which the New York Court of Appeals determined that pro rata allocation was the appropriate method of allocation where the policy provided that the insurer would pay all sums for an occurrence happening during the policy period. (Consolidated Edison Co. of N.Y. v. Allstate Ins. Co., 98 NY2d 208 (2002));
- Litigation on behalf of a financial guarantee insurer against parties fraudulently transferring assets;
- Litigations and arbitrations against program managers for violating their obligations to insurers;
- Representation of an insurer in a contested Form A proceeding before the Delaware Insurance Department;
- Representation of an insurer in demutualization proceeding before the New York Insurance Department;
- Appointment as a Discovery Special Master by an ARIAS Reinsurance Arbitration Panel;
- Litigation defending an insurer and its directors in a class action for alleged violations of law in connection with a sponsored demutualization (Grossman v. Akker, No. 652402/15, 2016 WL 4272450 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Cty. Aug. 8, 2016)); and
- Litigation on behalf of a ceding company enjoining a reinsurer from collaterally attacking a final arbitration award (Arrowood Indemnity Co. v. Equitas Ins. Ltd., No. 13 cv 7680, 2015 WL 4597543, * 1 (S.D.N.Y. July 30, 2015)).
- Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers USA
- Super Lawyers
- Who’s Who Legal: Insurance & Reinsurance
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Board of Directors, New York Lawyers for the Public Interest
- Panelist, “New York Regulatory Environment Panel,” Society of Insurance Financial Management’s (SIFM) Quarterly Conference, March 21, 2018, June 10, 2018
- Moderator, ARIAS Reinsurance Conference, “Is My Arbitration Final Or Is It Groundhog Day,” November 2016
- Speaker, National Insurance Conference of Canada (NICC), September 21-23, 2014
- Panelist, “An AIRROC DRP Roadmap: How Should the DRP be Applied to My Dispute?” AIRROC/R&Q Rendez-Vous Education Sessions, October 2013
- Working Group Leader, “Mediation,” ARIAS-US 2011 Fall Conference, November 2011
- Panelist, Mealey’s 14th Annual Insurance Insolvency & Reinsurance Roundtable, April 25, 2007
- Speaker, “Re Claims - Reinsurance Claims Management,” New York, NY, September 28-29, 2006
- Speaker, Fundamentals of Reinsurance Litigation & Arbitration Conference, Boston, MA, March 23, 2006
- Co-author, “Is My Arbitration Final Or Is It Groundhog Day,” Dispute Resolution Journal, Vol 71, No. 4, 2016
- Co-author, “Emerging Insurance Issues in the Debate over ‘Fracking’,” Insurance Coverage Law Report, December/January 2013
- Co-author, “Reinsurance Implications of the Japanese Earthquake,” Stroock Special Bulletin, July 21, 2011
- Co-author, “The Access to Records Clause,” ARIAS-U.S. Quarterly, Volume 13, Number 3, Third Quarter 2006
- Co-author, “Obtaining Discovery from Reinsurance Intermediaries and Other Non-Parties – Updated Caselaw and Commentary,” ARIAS-U.S. Quarterly, Third Quarter 2005 and Mealey’s Litigation Reports: Reinsurance, Third Quarter 2005
- Co-author, “Obtaining Pre-hearing Discovery from the Uncooperative Reinsurance Intermediary: The Current State of the Law and Avenues for Reform,” ARIAS-U.S. Quarterly, First Quarter 2003
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Western District of New York; U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1977
B.A., The Johns Hopkins University, 1974
June 1, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Advises Atlas Merchant Capital as Co-Lead Investor in Closing of $2 Billion Acquisition of Talcott Resolution from The Hartford
June 1, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Adds Leading Insurance Lawyer Huhnsik Chung as Partner in New York
June 1, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Receives Honors in 16 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2018:
38 Stroock Lawyers Recognized
Spring 2018|AIRROC MattersRobert Lewin, Michele Jacobson, Laura Besvinick, Julie Nevins, Vincent Laurenzano and Bernhardt Nadell featured in “AIRROC at 180 Maiden Lane”
May 3, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Ranked in 11 Practice Areas by Chambers USA 2018; 29 Leading Lawyers Recognized
December 5, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Advising Atlas Merchant Capital as Co-Lead Investor in $2 Billion Acquisition of Talcott Resolution from The Hartford
December 4, 2017|Law360Stroock deal team mentioned in "Hartford Sells Life Insurance Business For $2.05B"
August 15, 2017|Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
June 2, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Receives High Honors in 13 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2017: 37 Stroock Attorneys Recognized
June 1, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Earns Top Tier Rank in 11 Practices by Chambers USA 2017: 30 Leading Attorneys Recognized
May 27, 2016 |Press ReleaseStroock Ranked By Chambers USA For 2016
October 27, 2015| Law360Robert Lewin quoted in "Reinsurer Says AIG Unit On Its Own For $262M Asbestos Deal"
May 19, 2015Stroock Ranked By Chambers USA For 2015
May 27, 2014Stroock Ranked By Chambers USA For 2014
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami and Washington, DC, announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business.
For the 2014 edition, 29 Stroock partners and counsel from 12 Stroock practice groups were recognized for excellence by Chambers USA.
May 24, 2013Stroock Ranked by Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2013
New York, NY, May 24, 2013 -- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles and Miami, announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business.
For the 2013 edition, 31 Stroock partners and counsel from 12 Stroock practice groups were recognized for excellence by Chambers USA.Click here to read the full press release.
June 7, 2012Stroock Ranked by the Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2012
Stroock announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. For the 2012 edition, 11 Stroock practice areas and 32 Stroock attorneys were ranked by Chambers USA, in the geographic categories of Nationwide, California, Florida and New York.
June 20, 2011Stroock Ranked by the Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2011
Stroock announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. For the 2011 edition, 13 Stroock practice areas and 32 Stroock attorneys were ranked by Chambers USA, in the geographic categories of Nationwide, California, Florida and New York.
June 11, 2010Stroock Is Ranked by the Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2010
32 Stroock attorneys and 12 practice areas were recommended by Chambers, including our Capital Markets, Entertainment, Financial Restructuring, Insurance, Investment Management, Litigation, and Real Estate practices.
Read about the firm's rankings in our press release.
June 12, 2009Stroock Is Recognized by the Annual Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2009
Chambers USA has once again listed Stroock attorneys as some of the top practitioners in the nation. In its 2009 edition, Chambers USA named 31 Stroock attorneys across 23 of the firm's practice areas.
May 29, 2008Stroock is Recognized by the Annual Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings
April 3, 2008Capital Markets Crisis Group Expansion
June 28, 2007Stroock is Recognized by the Annual Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings
June 15, 2005Stroock Insurance Group Receives Top Tier Rankings
June 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin“NAIC Updates – June 2018”January 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin"NAIC Updates – January 2018"October 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin"NAIC Updates – October 2017"Vol 71, No. 4, 2016|Dispute Resolution Journal“Is My Arbitration Final Or Is It Groundhog Day?”April 21, 2016|Stroock Special Bulletin"Reinsurance Implications of the Japanese Earthquake"December/January 2013|Insurance Coverage Law Report“Emerging Insurance Issues in the Debate over ‘Fracking’”July 21, 2011|Stroock Special Bulletin"Reinsurance Implications of the Japanese Earthquake"Third Quarter 2006|ARIAS U.S. Quarterly, Volume 13, Number 3"The Access to Records Clause"August 15, 2006|Stroock Special Bulletin"The Access to Records and Claims Cooperation Clauses: Their Impact on Discovery in Arbitration Proceedings"November 17, 2005|Mealey's Litigation Report - Reinsurance"Obtaining Discovery from Reinsurance Intermediaries and Other Non-Parties - Updated Case Law and Commentary"Volume 12, Number 3, Third Quarter 2005|ARIAS U.S. Quarterly