- Representative Matters
- Honors & Awards
Paul A. Shelowitz has more than 28 years of civil litigation experience serving a wide array of business clients. Mr. Shelowitz has significant experience in all facets of real estate litigation, banking litigation, brokerage commission and licensure claims, corporate/partnership disputes, covenants not-to-compete, landlord/tenant matters, business torts and a broad spectrum of debtor/creditor litigation. His work extends throughout Florida and in a multitude of jurisdictions across the United States. He was awarded "Most Effective Lawyer" in 2015 by the Daily Business Review for Real Estate Litigation and has been recognized by Florida Trend’s Legal Elite for work in commercial litigation.
- Represented a Fortune 100 institutional developer of a high-end condo/hotel in Maui, Hawaii in a 10-day trial against claims of fraud, unfair and deceptive trade practices, negligence, and breach of contract that resulted in a defense verdict.
- Represented a developer of a 836-acre equestrian development located in Martin County, Florida against a large South Florida bank in 25-day trial involving claims of fraud and lender liability.
- Represented an institutional seller of a $24 million shopping center in Raleigh, North Carolina in a suit involving claims of fraud, breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
- Represented a minority owner of Miami apartment buildings in a derivative shareholder suit involving claims of undue influence, breach of fiduciary duty and related claims.
- Represented Irish Bank Resolution Corp., the successor to Anglo-Irish Bank, in a $110 million foreclosure suit involving the coveted "Sarasota Quay" property.
- Represented the joint venture owner of 2,000 acres of entitled land in Port St. Lucie, Florida, in a suit to terminate a $25 million purchase and sale agreement.
- Represented prominent South Florida commercial real estate brokers in commission claims against joint venture developers who together conspired to deprive them of a multi-million dollar commission.
- Represented the manufacturer of medical devices regarding claims by a southeastern distributor for lost profits involving more than $10 million.
- Represented a national automobile finance company in connection with fraud claims against a multi-franchise dealership in Georgia.
- Represented the judicial sale purchaser of Miramar Golf Course in defense of due process claims asserted by the former owner/judgment debtor.
- Represented commercial real estate broker against other brokers for circumvention, constructive trust, imposition of equitable liens and punitive damages.
- Represented a large international bank involving the appointment of a receiver and the foreclosure of an incomplete Miami condominium project.
- Represented a South Florida-based telecommunications company in an injunction matter against former employees who established a competing business.
- Represented a former Chief Financial Officer of a privately held technology company involving alleged fraudulent sale of stock to an accredited investor.
- Represented a South Florida-based telecommunications company in a matter involving claims against a publicly traded long-distance reseller on breach of contract and related claims.
- Represented a South Florida developer seeking to overturn a Miami-Dade County determination that a shopping center was divested of signage rights.
- Represented numerous debtors in a matter involving the collection of a multi-million dollar judgment held by a national finance company.
- Represented a minority shareholder in a matter involving “dissenter’s rights” to enforce a mid-trial settlement agreement reached in a related litigation.
- Represented an international technology company in a breach of contract suit against a supplier of satellite and telecommunication products.
- Represented a manufacturer of plastic extrusions in contract and tort claims made by its Caribbean distributor.
HONORS & AWARDSMr. Shelowitz has been recognized for his work in Best Lawyers.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Chair, Miami Chapter, Big City Mountaineers
- Member, Board of Directors, Overtown Youth Center
- Member, Board of Directors, Friends of the Florida Trail
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
J.D., cum laude, University of Miami School of Law, 1988; Member, University of Miami Law Review; Summer Honors Program; Book Award Real Property
B.A., with high honors, The American University, 1985
NEWSBack To Full Bio
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
August 15, 2017|Press Release
Paul A. Shelowitz and Ira K. Teicher quoted in “What will Trump's Presidency Mean for Miami's Real Estate?”
November 11, 2016|As mentioned in: The Miami Herald
Paul A. Shelowitz Selected as Daily Business Review’s “Most Effective Lawyer” for Real Estate
December 4, 2015
Paul A. Shelowitz quoted in "Judge’s decision favors Honua Kai developers"
June 14, 2015|As mentioned in: The Maui News
Ronald A. Kriss and Paul A. Shelowitz Featured in "Monty's Gets New Owner in Complex Coconut Grove Deal"
May 28, 2015|As mentioned in: South Florida Business Journal
Ronald A. Kriss quoted in "Coconut Grove's Landmark Monty's Gets New Owner in Complex Deal"
May 27, 2015|As mentioned in: Daily Business Review
Coconut Grove's Famous Monty's Raw Bar and Marina Trades for Undisclosed Sum
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan Represent the BuyerMay 27, 2015
Ron Kriss and Paul Shelowitz Join Stroock’s Miami Office
November 22, 2010
EVENTSBack To Full Bio
IMN's Bank & Special Asset Forums on Distressed Real Estate
January 30-31, 2012