Mark A. Speiser represents institutional creditors and creditors’ committees in large and complex reorganizations, with particular emphasis on the energy industry. He advises clients entering into commodities and derivatives transactions with chapter 11 debtors-in-possession, including creditors, asset purchasers and derivatives counterparties.
Mark has represented creditors in workouts of multinational debtors and assisted in restructuring the debt of several of the nation’s largest privately held pulp and paper manufacturers. He has experience in structured finance, health care and real estate transactions, plus environmental and pension liabilities. His clients have included major financial institutions involved as creditors in high-profile bankruptcy matters, including Horsehead Holding Corp.; Boston Generating LLC; CIT Group, Inc.; Lyondell Chemical Co.; Black Diamond Mining, LLC; Aegis Mortgage Corp.; Calpine Corp.; Enron Corp.; Pacific Gas and Electric Co.; and Bethlehem Steel Corp. He coordinated a team of attorneys representing Mizuho Bank, Ltd. and certain of its affiliates in their respective capacities as parties to extremely complex derivatives transactions, as agent and lender under a Ninja Loan facility, in connection with Samurai Bonds issued by Lehman and as Co-Chair of the Official Creditors’ Committee. He has represented Delta Air Lines in environmental-related bankruptcy issues. Mark is currently representing Merrill Lynch Commodities in connection with its secured intermediation facility to a debtor in the PES Holdings’ chapter 11 cases.
Best Lawyers in America has recognized Mark’s skills every year since 2015, and he has been recognized by Chambers Global, Chambers USA and Super Lawyers. Mark is a member of a U.N.-recognized human rights NGO, working to educate governments and the public at large.
- Best Lawyers in America
- Chambers Global
- Chambers USA
- New York Super Lawyers
- Panelist, “Bankruptcy Updates: Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow,” Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys CLE presentation, New York, NY, March 22, 2017
- Presenter, The Federal Reserve Board’s Proposed Rule on Mandatory Contractual Stays for QFCs, FIA Law & Compliance Division Webinar, March 9, 2017
- Panelist, “Make-Whole Provisions,” ACFA’s Continuing Legal Education Weekend, New Paltz, NY, May 20-22, 2016
- Speaker, Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys March CLE Meeting, New York, NY, March 17, 2015
- Speaker, “Repurchase Agreements as a Secured Lending Tool,” Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys Summer Conference, Manchester Village, VT, May 30-June 2, 2013
- Panelist, “SIPA Liquidations and Ponzi Schemes,” New York City Bankruptcy Conference, New York, NY, May 24, 2010
- Co-Presenter, “Update on ISDA,” API Risk Control Committee Meeting, April 26-27, 2010
- Panelist, “Distressed Property and Bankruptcy,” The Global Financial Crisis 2009: Preparing for the Future, New York, NY, August 5, 2009
- Panelist, “Developments in Bankruptcy,” 2009 Power Industry Developments, New York, NY, May 8, 2009
- Panelist, “Death Watch: Advanced Bankruptcy Planning – A Panel Discussion,” IECA’s 2009 Spring Education Conference, Dana Point, CA, March 17, 2009
- Speaker, “Lessons Learned from Energy Company Bankruptcies,” 2008 Power Industry Developments, May 9, 2008
- Co-author, “Czyzwski v. Jevic Holding Corp.: Supreme Court Revisits the Scope of Bankruptcy Court Equitable Powers,” Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, August 2017
- Co-author, “Reexamining the Equitable Powers of the Bankruptcy Court After Law v. Siegel,” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, October 2015
- Co-author, “Multilateral Netting Under Safe Harbor Contracts: The Arguments for Enforceability in Bankruptcy (And for Mandatory Withdrawal of the Issue to District Court),” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, April/May 2015
- Co-author, “Examiners in Bankruptcy Cases,” The Review of Banking & Financial Services, August 2012
- Co-author, “The Oneida Decision: Second Circuit Holds Premiums Payable to PBGC Not Dischargeable in Bankruptcy,” Bloomberg Law Reports – Bankruptcy Law, August 2009
- Co-author: “Derivatives Trading Orders: Protecting the Debtor’s Trading Business from Bankruptcy Termination,” Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions, July/August 2006
- Co-author, “Section 546(e): Fifteen Years After Kaiser Steel, Still Open To Interpretation,” Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, June 2006
- Co-author, “NOLs: The Policy Conflicts Created by Trading Orders,” Commercial Lending Review, May-June 2005
- Co-author, “Doing Derivatives Business with Chapter 11 Entities,” Derivatives Report, October 2002
- “Chapter 11: Not the End of the Story,” Risk, October 2002
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
U.S. Supreme Court
Law Clerk, Hon. Robert John Hall, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of New York, 1979-1981
LL.M., New York University School of Law, 1981
J.D., magna cum laude, Brooklyn Law School, 1978
B.A., magna cum laude, Yeshiva University, 1975
August 15, 2017|Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
August 15, 2016 |Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2017
November 20, 2015| The New York TimesStroock Featured in The New York Times "Best Lawyers" 2016 New York City Supplement
August 17, 201545 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2016
March 19, 2013Stroock Recognized by Chambers Global 2013
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles and Miami, announced that it has been recognized in the 2013 edition of Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, with several ranked lawyers and practice groups.
November 9, 201231 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers for 2013
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles and Miami, announced that 31 attorneys across 22 practice areas have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® ("Best Lawyers®").
June 7, 2012Stroock Ranked by the Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2012
Stroock announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. For the 2012 edition, 11 Stroock practice areas and 32 Stroock attorneys were ranked by Chambers USA, in the geographic categories of Nationwide, California, Florida and New York.
March 19, 2012Stroock Ranked by Chambers Global Law Firm Rankings for 2012
November 10, 2011Stroock Announces Representation of Commodities Exchange Members in Connection with MF Global, Inc. Liquidation Proceedings
June 20, 2011Stroock Ranked by the Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2011
Stroock announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. For the 2011 edition, 13 Stroock practice areas and 32 Stroock attorneys were ranked by Chambers USA, in the geographic categories of Nationwide, California, Florida and New York.
June 11, 2010Stroock Is Ranked by the Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2010
32 Stroock attorneys and 12 practice areas were recommended by Chambers, including our Capital Markets, Entertainment, Financial Restructuring, Insurance, Investment Management, Litigation, and Real Estate practices.
Read about the firm's rankings in our press release.
March 16, 2010Stroock Receives Honors from Chambers Global
June 12, 2009Stroock Is Recognized by the Annual Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2009
Chambers USA has once again listed Stroock attorneys as some of the top practitioners in the nation. In its 2009 edition, Chambers USA named 31 Stroock attorneys across 23 of the firm's practice areas.
March 2, 2009Stroock Is Recognized in Chambers Global Law Firm Rankings for 2009
Just eight months after Chambers USA included a record number of Stroock attorneys in its annual rankings, sister publication Chambers Global announced in February 2009 that nine Stroock attorneys have been selected as “Leaders in their Field” in Chambers Global 2009. The results, which also produced a record number of Stroock lawyers in this edition, were determined from interviews with lawyers and clients and rankings were based on technical expertise, business acumen, prompt delivery and value for money.
May 29, 2008Stroock is Recognized by the Annual Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings
April 3, 2008Capital Markets Crisis Group Expansion
July 17, 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin“In Re Franchise Services of North America, Inc.: The Fifth Circuit Explores Restrictions on Bankruptcy Filing”March 5, 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin"Why It Pays to Read the Definitions Carefully: Merit Management Group, LP v. FTI Consulting, Inc."August 2017, Vol. 26 No. 4|Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice"Czyzwski v. Jevic Holding Corp.: Supreme Court Revisits the Scope of Bankruptcy Court Equitable Powers"February 14, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin"CFTC’s DSIO Issues Time-Limited No-Action Letter Relating to Variation Margin Requirements"October 2015|Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law“Reexamining the Equitable Powers of the Bankruptcy Court After Law v. Siegel”April/May 2015|Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law"Multilateral Netting Under Safe Harbor Contracts: The Arguments for Enforceability in Bankruptcy (And for Mandatory Withdrawal of the Issue to District Court)"August 2012, Vol. 28, No. 8|The Review of Banking & Financial Services"Examiners in Bankruptcy Cases"August 20, 2012|Stroock Special Bulletin"Update: Fifth Circuit Addresses Bankruptcy Safe Harbor Protection for Commodity Requirements Contracts"July 7, 2011|Stroock Special Bulletin"Update: Bankruptcy Safe Harbor Protection for Commodity Requirements Contracts"July 28, 2010|Stroock Special Bulletin"In re MBS Management Services, Inc.: Is a Requirements Contract Eligible for Safe Harbor Protection?"June 23, 2010|Stroock Special Bulletin"Potential Implications of a BP Bankruptcy Filing"August 3, 2009|Bloomberg Law Reports - Bankruptcy Law, Vol. 3, No. 31“The Oneida Decision: Second Circuit Holds Premiums Payable to PBGC Not Dischargeable in Bankruptcy”March 10, 2009|Stroock Special Bulletin"In re National Gas Distributors, LLC: Fourth Circuit Weighs in on Scope of Safe Harbor Provisions"February 5, 2008|Stroock Subprime Task Force Special Bulletin“Calyon New York Branch v. American Home Mortgage Corp.”January 2008|Stroock Special Bulletin“In re National Gas Distributors, LLC: Court Narrows Safe Harbor Provisions for Commodities and Derivatives Transactions”March 16, 2007|Stroock Special Bulletin"New York Bankruptcy Court Requires Full Public Disclosure of Trading Records of Ad Hoc Committee Acting in Chapter 11 Case; Refuses to Permit Filing Under Seal"July/August 2006 Vol 19/No 6|Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial InstitutionsDerivatives Trading Orders: Protecting the Debtor’s Trading Business from Bankruptcy TerminationJune 2006|Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, Volume 2, Number 1Section 546(e): Fifteen Years After Kaiser Steel, Still Open To InterpretationSeptember 22, 2005|Stroock Special Bulletin"In re Owens Corning: Third Circuit Adopts a Strict View of Substantive Consolidation"June 28, 2005|Stroock Special Bulletin"Sharp Distinction: Second Circuit Rules Preference to Non-Insider Cannot Be a Fraudulent Conveyance"May-June 2005|Commercial Lending Review,"NOLs: The Policy Conflicts Created by Trading Orders""Derivatives Provisions Of The Bankruptcy Act Of 2005"April 26, 2005|Stroock Special Bulletin"The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005: A Summary of Key Provisions Affecting Business Bankruptcies"August 23, 2004|Stroock Special Bulletin