Laura Besvinick has more than 30 years’ experience litigating complex cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts. She regularly represents insurers in complex coverage disputes with respect to general liability insurance, property and casualty insurance, directors and officers liability insurance, professional liability insurance, and life insurance. Laura also regularly represents insurers in bad-faith actions and consumer class actions.
Laura advises insurers on claims-handling with a particular focus on claims-handling issues unique to the Florida market. Laura also serves as monitoring counsel, often in connection with professional liability matters. She also represents accountants and attorneys in malpractice actions, securities class actions and before the Securities and Exchange Commission. In addition to representing insurers, Laura regularly represents companies in complex, multi-jurisdictional commercial disputes in court and arbitration.
Laura’s accolades have included recognition by The Legal 500 United States, Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal. She also has been listed among Florida Trend Legal Elite.
- Obtained defense award in favor of international telecommunications manufacturer following multi-week arbitration trial where alleged damages exceeded $300 million. Laura also successfully represented the manufacturer in proceedings to confirm the award and on appeal from the award confirmation.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in insurance coverage dispute involving attempted enforcement of Coblentz judgment valued at $175 million. The insurer was held to have no liability for the settlement. Laura also represented the insurer on appeal and obtained an affirmance of the judgment.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in insurance coverage dispute involving attempted enforcement of $40 million Coblentz judgment. The insurer was held to have no liability for the settlement. Laura also represented the insurer on appeal and obtained an affirmance of the judgment.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in coverage dispute involving alleged breach of duty to defend.
- Obtained dismissals of putative class actions against insurers for alleged violations of Medicare Secondary Payer Act.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of putative class action against insurer for alleged failure to properly pay hurricane claims.
- The Legal 500 United States
- Best Lawyers: Appellate Law, Commercial Litigation, First Amendment Law and Professional Malpractice Law
- The Burton Awards: Distinguished Legal Writing Award
- Florida Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage
- Super Lawyers: Corporate Counsel: Insurance Coverage
- South Florida Legal Guide: Top Lawyers in South Florida
- Florida Trend Legal Elite: Insurance
- Board of Trustees, Miami City Ballet
- Board Member, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Co-author, “The State of Medicare Secondary Payer Act Litigation,” Law360, July 27, 2018
- Co-author, “Where They’ve Been and Where They’re Going: Secondary Payer Lawsuits Involving Medicare Advantage Organizations,” For the Defense, May 2018
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Supreme Court of Florida
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1983; Phi Beta Kappa; Editor, Harvard Law Review
A.B., cum laude, Harvard-Radcliffe College, 1980
In The Spotlight
October 10, 2018|Press ReleaseBenchmark Litigation Recognizes Stroock Lawyers and Litigation Department in its 2019 Guide
June 1, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Receives Honors in 16 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2018:
38 Stroock Lawyers Recognized
Spring 2018|AIRROC MattersRobert Lewin, Michele Jacobson, Laura Besvinick, Julie Nevins, Vincent Laurenzano and Bernhardt Nadell featured in “AIRROC at 180 Maiden Lane”
March 8, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Litigator Laura Besvinick Wins Prestigious Burton Award for Legal Writing
January 23, 2018|Press ReleaseFour Stroock Lawyers Recognized as Top Lawyers in South Florida Legal Guide 2018
August 15, 2017|Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
December 19, 2016| Law360Laura E. Besvinick quoted and Julie E. Nevins mentioned in "District Court Kept Jurisdiction After Arbitration: 11th Circ."
August 15, 2016 |Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2017
August 17, 201545 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2016
April 13, 2015Stroock Bolsters Litigation Practice Further with Two Partners and Special Counsel in New York and Miami
July 27, 2018|Law360“The State of Medicare Secondary Payer Act Litigation”May 2018|For The Defense“Where They've Been and Where They're Going: Secondary Payer Lawsuits Involving Medicare Advantage Organizations”June 2017|The Corporate Counselor