- Representative Matters
- Honors & Awards
Laura Besvinick has more than 30 years’ experience litigating complex cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts. She focuses on representing insurers in complex coverage disputes, bad-faith actions and consumer class actions.
Laura advises insurers on claims-handling and serves as monitoring counsel, often in connection with professional liability. She also regularly represents accountants and attorneys in malpractice actions, securities class actions and before the Securities and Exchange Commission, and represents companies in commercial disputes in court and arbitration.
Laura’s accolades have included recognition by Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal. She also has been listed among Florida Trend Legal Elite.
REPRESENTATIVE MATTERSLaura has been involved in the following matters:
- Obtained defense award in favor of international telecommunications manufacturer following multi-week arbitration trial where alleged damages exceeded $300 million. Laura also successfully represented the manufacturer in proceedings to confirm the award and on appeal from the award confirmation.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in insurance coverage dispute involving attempted enforcement of Coblentz judgment valued at $175 million. The insurer was held to have no liability for the settlement. Laura also represented the insurer on appeal and obtained an affirmance of the judgment.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in insurance coverage dispute involving attempted enforcement of $40 million Coblentz judgment. The insurer was held to have no liability for the settlement.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in coverage dispute involving alleged breach of duty to defend.
- Obtained dismissals of putative class actions against insurers for alleged violations of Medicare Secondary Payer Act.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of putative class action against insurer for alleged failure to properly pay hurricane claims.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Best Lawyers: Appellate Law, Commercial Litigation, First Amendment Law and Professional Malpractice Law
- The Burton Awards: Distinguished Legal Writing Award
- Florida Super Lawyers: Insurance Coverage
- Super Lawyers: Corporate Counsel: Insurance Coverage
- South Florida Legal Guide: Top Lawyers in South Florida
- Florida Trend Legal Elite: Insurance
- Board of Trustees, Miami City Ballet
- Board Member, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Supreme Court of Florida
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1983; Phi Beta Kappa; Editor, Harvard Law Review
A.B., cum laude, Harvard-Radcliffe College, 1980
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Stroock Litigator Laura Besvinick Wins Prestigious Burton Award for Legal Writing
March 8, 2018|Press Release
Five Stroock Lawyers Recognized as Top Lawyers in South Florida Legal Guide 2018
January 23, 2018|Press Release
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
August 15, 2017|Press Release
Laura E. Besvinick quoted and Julie E. Nevins mentioned in "District Court Kept Jurisdiction After Arbitration: 11th Circ."
December 19, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2017
August 15, 2016 |Press Release
45 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2016
August 17, 2015
Stroock Bolsters Litigation Practice Further with Two Partners and Special Counsel in New York and Miami
April 13, 2015
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"What Lawyers Can Learn from Poker Players"
June 2017|The Corporate Counselor
- "The Eleventh Circuit Expands Private Insurers’ Exposure for the Reimbursement of Medicare Payments Under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act"December 7, 2016|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "The Eleventh Circuit Expands Private Insurers’ Exposure for the Reimbursement of Medicare Payments Under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act"