- Real Estate: Commercial Leasing
- Real Estate: Commercial Lending
- Real Estate: Cooperatives and Condominiums
- Real Estate: Development
- Real Estate: Land Use and Governmental Approvals
- Real Estate: Litigation
- Real Estate
- Real Estate: Investment Management
- Representative Matters
- Honors & Awards
- Speeches & Events
Loryn Dunn Arkow is a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office and a member of the Real Estate Practice Group. Ms. Arkow has extensive experience handling acquisition, disposition and development transactions; joint ventures, lending and other finance transactions; recapitalizations and workouts. She has represented a broad range of clients including large public pension funds, pension fund advisors, private equity funds and other investors, lenders, developers and sponsors in a variety of sectors, including retail, office, industrial, multifamily, condo development, homebuilding, medical and mixed-use projects. Ms. Arkow has particular experience in structuring complex transactions and entities and also in finding creative solutions to get deals done.
Ms. Arkow speaks Japanese and Spanish.
REPRESENTATIVE MATTERSMs. Arkow’s recent transactions include:
- Represented clients in various apartment acquisitions and related debt financings and joint ventures, from stand-alone projects to a several-hundred-million-dollar portfolio.
- Represented pension fund advisor in negotiation and documentation of joint venture and debt financing with major national developer of high-rise apartments and condominiums for unique development of luxury condominiums in growth-restricted area of Southern California subject to complex entitlement scheme.
- Represented pension fund in buy-out of joint venture partner interests in national portfolio of 140 properties and sale of various assets.
- Negotiated and documented joint venture and debt transactions between a state public pension fund and a foreign pension fund for the acquisition of a $300 million Texas high-rise office building involving significant structuring to address foreign pension fund’s international tax considerations.
- Negotiated, documented and executed acquisition by developer of portfolio of retail properties through a bankruptcy sale.
- Represented REIT in $400 million acquisition of San Francisco office building.
- Represented public company in joint venture for development of retail outlet mall.
- Restructured subordinated debt investment into joint venture controlled by affiliates of lender for master planned golf course community; negotiated and documented mezzanine loan for golf course; prepared agreements in connection with development and sale of lots; collaborated on strategy, demands and agreements regarding client’s claims against debtor.
- Represented developer in connection with acquisition and recapitalization of prime hotel site in West Hollywood, California.
- Represented life insurance company in origination of $120 million construction loan for a 600-unit apartment building in San Diego, California.
- Represented life insurance company in origination of $32 million loan for a California distribution center, with master lease credit enhancement structure.
- Represented landlord in the build-to-suit leasing to a national retailer of a Texas industrial distribution center.
- Represented pension fund in $125 million purchase of partnership interest in core San Francisco office building, structuring and negotiating partnership rights and obligations.
- Analyzed and restructured entity organization for tax, risk management and other purposes for various privately-held real estate companies.
- Negotiated and documented workouts and refinancing of project-related debt for developer of medical office buildings.
- Coordinated, performed and supervised work for approximately 100 ongoing acquisitions or ground leases of sites for development on behalf of preferred developer of national drugstore retailer.
- Handled various restructurings of platform ventures with developers/sponsors on behalf of pension fund clients involving changes to capital requirements, distribution structures, management provisions, and exit strategies.
- Handled sale of $60 million Las Vegas-area retail power center, including negotiating assignment of securitized mortgage and structuring subordinated seller financing.
- Negotiated and documented $20 million sale of 180-bed nursing home.
- Analyzed and structured buy-out, equity infusion and reorganization transactions to minimize transfer tax and reassessment consequences under California law.
- Negotiated and documented joint venture between public company and developer to develop residential, resort community of 3,500 homes on 26,000 acres, involving developer’s investment of $100 million in venture.
- Negotiated and executed land acquisition and disposition transactions for public homebuilder.
- Led team for acquisition and restructuring of entrepreneur’s ownership of car dealerships.
- Represented public company in workout of rights and obligations of four major partners in land development and homebuilding venture for master planned community on 10,000 acres.
- Represented pension fund advisors in analysis of investments and negotiation and documentation of terms of mezzanine and other subordinated debt and equity placements.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Nationally recommended by The Legal 500 United States for 2017.
- Selected as one of Southern California’s Super Lawyers from 2009-2017.
- Named a Los Angeles Business Journal Rising Star Finalist for 2010.
- Recipient of the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award from the Los Angeles County Bar Association Real Property Section for 2006.
- Named one of Real Estate Southern California’s 2006 Women of Influence.
- Member, The Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Director, Stanford Professionals in Real Estate (effective January 2018)
- Member, Stanford Real Estate Council
- Programs Committee Chair, Partnerships & Limited Liability Companies Committee, Business Law Section, State Bar of California
- Executive Committee Member, Real Estate and Construction Division of Jewish Federation
- Chair, Young Leadership Development Institute
- Member, Moriah Society
- Member, Real Property Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Former Board Member, City of Hope Los Angeles Real Estate and Construction Industries Council
- Former Board Member, JNF Commercial Real Estate and Capital Group
- Former Board Member and Secretary, Harvard Club of Southern California
- Former Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
SPEECHES & EVENTS
- Speaker, "Structuring Preferred Equity Investments in Real Estate Ventures: True Equity vs. "Debt-Like" Equity," Strafford Webinar, November 22, 2016
- Moderator, "Foreign Investment Panel," Bisnow's Los Angeles Capital Markets Forum, March 16, 2016
- Panelist, "Economic Trends Nationally and in Southern California," Real Estate Law and Business Forum, USC Gould School of Law, March 10, 2016
- Speaker, "Real Estate Joint Ventures," Lowell Milken Institute of Business Law and Policy, UCLA Law School, March 18, 2015
- Moderator, "Finance and the Effects of Rising Interest Rates," Los Angeles Jewish Federation, October 20, 2015
- Panelist, "Raising Equity for Commercial Real Estate Projects," Mansfield Equities Series, October 13, 2015
- Speaker, "Choice of Entity: Tax Liability, Flexibility and Other Implications," State Bar of California, February 12, 2015
- Moderator, "Supply & Demand: Driving Deal Flow," Marcus & Millichap/IPA Southern California Commercial Real Estate Forecast, January 28, 2015
- Moderator, "A League of Their Own: The Industrial Markets Demands, Projections & Investment," Marcus & Millichap Southern California Commercial Real Estate Forum, February 27, 2014
- Panelist, "Drafting for Success," American Bar Association Webinar, March 20, 2012
- Moderator, "Real Estate Development in the Current Economy," Opus Connect, March 14, 2012
- "Beyond Lost Rent: Consequences of Commercial Tenant Bankruptcy," Real Estate Weekly, January 6, 2016
- "New California LLC Law Complicates Drafting of Operating Agreements," Real Estate Finance and Investment, February 24, 2014
- "The New LLC," Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine, January 2014
- "Real Estate Players Turn To JVs For Flexibility," Law360, October 12, 2016
- "Calif. Justices May Clog Up Water Projects In Takings Case," Law360, March 21, 2016
- "High Court Eminent Domain Case May Offer States Clarity," Law360, January 25, 2016
- "Mayor Broadens Earthquake Regulations," Globest.com, August 17, 2015
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
J.D., Stanford Law School, 1996
M.A., Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, 1996
B.A., magna cum laude, Harvard University, 1990
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Stroock Receives High Honors in 13 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2017: 37 Stroock Attorneys Recognized
June 2, 2017|Press Release
Loryn D. Arkow and Jon S. Ziefert quoted in "Real Estate Players Turn To JVs For Flexibility"
October 12, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
Loryn Dunn Arkow quoted in "Calif. Justices May Clog Up Water Projects In Takings Case"
March 21, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
Loryn Dunn Arkow quoted in "High Court Eminent Domain Case May Offer States Clarity"
January 25, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
Loryn Dunn Arkow Talks About New Proposals in "Mayor Broadens Earthquake Regulations"
August 17, 2015|As mentioned in: Globest.com
Stroock Expands National Real Estate Practice with Loryn Dunn Arkow
April 27, 2015
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"Beyond lost rent: Consequences of commercial tenant bankruptcy"
January 6, 2016|Real Estate Weekly
EVENTSBack To Full Bio
USC Gould School of Law 2017 Real Estate Law and Business Forum
March 9, 2017
Strafford Webinar: Structuring Preferred Equity Investments in Real Estate Ventures: True Equity vs. "Debt-Like" Equity
November 22, 2016
Bisnow's Los Angeles Capital Markets Forum
March 16, 2016
USC Gould School of Law's Real Estate Law and Business Forum
March 10, 2016
- USC Gould School of Law 2017 Real Estate Law and Business Forum