Karen Scanna has worked on several of the most complex and high-profile real estate transactions in New York City’s history. Private developers acquiring City-owned property for redevelopment, by deed or ground lease, often seek her guidance in navigating the City’s competitive bid process. With a focus on acquisition, development, and financing—including mortgage, mezzanine and preferred equity, and construction-to-permanent loans—several of Karen’s transactions have involved high-profile public-private partnerships. For example, she represented Delancey Street Associates LLC in its winning bid for the Essex Crossing development, a delicate and complex negotiation that leveraged Karen’s considerable clout and experience.
Karen has deep experience with various “alternative” property types, including hotels, assisted/senior living and student housing, in addition to more traditional types, such as office, retail and multifamily. The vast majority of her clients have elected to operate their properties in joint venture with others, and a significant part of her practice has involved the negotiation of partnership and limited liability company agreements, representing the developer/operator partner as well as the capital partner and/or preferred equityholder.
Described in Chambers USA as “a very strong lawyer with a very good developer representation practice,” Karen has been the recipient of numerous awards and honors for her work, including being named by Real Estate Forum as one of its Women of Influence in the commercial real estate industry for 2008, 2014 and 2015. She’s been ranked multiple times in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers.
- Taconic Investment Partners, L&M Development Partners and BFC Partners in all aspects of the acquisition, financing and development of Essex Crossing. The nine-site, 1.9 million-square-foot project is an unprecedented development in the Lower East Side, to be comprised of 1,000 new residences, 450,000 square feet of retail space, 400,000 square feet of office space, community attractions and green spaces. The International Center of Photography, one of New York’s leading institutions, will serve as cultural anchor.
- TF Cornerstone in the redevelopment of two City-owned sites on the Long Island City waterfront. This mixed-use project combines industrial and commercial office with residential space and is expected to create approximately 1,500 permanent jobs and more than 2,500 construction jobs. The project will include more than 250 units of affordable housing, a new 600-seat school, workforce training programs, 25,000 square feet of art space, more than an acre of open space, and ground floor retail.
- L&M Development Partners and Type A Projects in its successful bid to develop City-owned property in the Lower Concourse section of The Bronx into Bronx Point. This mixed-use development project will feature public open spaces, hundreds of permanently affordable housing units, a home for the Universal Hip-Hop Museum, a state-of-the-art multiplex theater, education space and a food hall that will focus on incubating Bronx-based food and beverage vendors.
- The purchaser of Riverton Houses in East Harlem, New York with respect to the acquisition, financing and continued operation thereof, including the negotiation of an Article XI regulatory agreement with the City of New York.
- Ares Management LLC in its joint venture with Ian Schrager for the acquisition, development and financing of 160 Leroy Street, New York, New York.
- Silverstein Properties in the 2001 acquisition and financing of various leasehold interests in the World Trade Center, and the subsequent restructuring and continued redevelopment thereof.
- The New York Mets in the construction and financing of the stadium known as Citi Field.
- Best Lawyers, Real Estate Law
- Chambers USA, Real Estate—New York
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Top Women Lawyers in New York State
- New York Real Estate Journal, Women in Real Estate Spotlight
- NY Residential magazine, Top Woman in Commercial Real Estate
- Real Estate Forum, Women of Influence in Commercial Real Estate
- Real Estate Weekly, Top Commercial Deal Maker and Leading Ladies
- Super Lawyers
- The Legal 500, Real Estate—Nationally Recommended
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Member, ULI New York Women’s Leadership Initiative
- Member, WX, Inc. – New York Women Executives in Real Estate
- Member, Membership Committee
- Advisory Board, Chicago Title Insurance Company
- Member, Real Estate Board of New York
- Member, New York City Bar Association
New York; New Jersey
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1995
B.S., Yale University, 1990
In The Spotlight
June 1, 2018|Real Estate WeeklyKaren Scanna Named to Real Estate Weekly “Leading Ladies 2018” List
June 1, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Receives Honors in 16 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2018:
38 Stroock Lawyers Recognized
May 11, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Advises Red Hook Container Terminal in Plan to Restore South Brooklyn Maritime Facility as Major Shipping Hub
May 3, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Ranked in 11 Practice Areas by Chambers USA 2018; 29 Leading Lawyers Recognized
November 7, 2017|CoStar NewsRoss Moskowitz and Karen Scanna quoted in "Essex Crossing Wielding Public-Private Partnerships for Neighborhood’s Greater Good"
October 10, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Advises Developers of Essex Crossing in Securing International Center of Photography as Cultural Anchor of Major Lower East Side Renewal Project
August 17, 2017| Law360Ross Moskowitz and Karen Scanna featured in "Stroock Steers Complex Queens Waterfront Project"
August 15, 2017|Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
August 3, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Advising Developer TF Cornerstone on Major New Waterfront Project in Long Island City
June 2, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Receives High Honors in 13 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2017: 37 Stroock Attorneys Recognized
June 1, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Earns Top Tier Rank in 11 Practices by Chambers USA 2017: 30 Leading Attorneys Recognized
May 18, 2017|New York Real Estate JournalKaren Scanna Featured in New York Real Estate Journal's Women in Real Estate Spotlight
August 15, 2016 |Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2017
June 21, 2016| New York Real Estate JournalKaren Scanna and Erica F. Buckley were recognized in New York Real Estate Journal's Women in Real Estate Spotlight
May 27, 2016 |Press ReleaseStroock Ranked By Chambers USA For 2016
February 16, 2016| The Real DealKaren Scanna quoted in "Goldman Sachs' Essex Crossing bet to top $500M"
June/July Issue|New York Real Estate JournalKaren Scanna was recognized in New York Real Estate Journal's Women in Real Estate Spotlight
May 19, 2015Stroock Ranked By Chambers USA For 2015
March 2015| Real Estate ForumKaren Scanna Named One of Real Estate Forum's "Women of Influence"
November 10, 2014|New York Real Estate JournalKaren Scanna Selected as 2014 Women in Real Estate
Karen Scanna is featured in the New York Real Estate Journal spotlight "Women in Real Estate."
September 4, 2014Stroock Partner Karen Scanna Named As One Of 60 Women Of Influence By Real Estate Forum Magazine
June 25, 2014Stroock Attorneys and Practices Ranked by The Legal 500 United States 2014
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami and Washington, DC, announced that it has once again been recognized in The Legal 500 United States with 27 attorney and 8 practice area rankings.
May 27, 2014Stroock Ranked By Chambers USA For 2014
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami and Washington, DC, announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business.
For the 2014 edition, 29 Stroock partners and counsel from 12 Stroock practice groups were recognized for excellence by Chambers USA.
March 24, 2014Ten Stroock Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers "Top Women Attorneys in the New York Metro Area"
May 24, 2013Stroock Ranked by Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2013
New York, NY, May 24, 2013 -- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles and Miami, announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business.
For the 2013 edition, 31 Stroock partners and counsel from 12 Stroock practice groups were recognized for excellence by Chambers USA.Click here to read the full press release.
June 7, 2012Stroock Ranked by the Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2012
Stroock announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. For the 2012 edition, 11 Stroock practice areas and 32 Stroock attorneys were ranked by Chambers USA, in the geographic categories of Nationwide, California, Florida and New York.
February 8, 2011Women in Real Estate 2011
Partner Karen Scanna is featured in the New York Real Estate Journal spotlight "Women in Real Estate."
May 11, 2010Karen Scanna Selected as 2010 Women in Real Estate
Karen Scanna recognized as 2010 Women in Real Estate Spotlight from the New York Real Estate Journal for her high profile commercial transaction work.
February 12, 2010Karen Scanna Selected As Top Women in Commercial Real Estate
Karen Scanna Selected As Top Women in Commercial Real Estate
November 24, 2009Karen Scanna Selected as 2009 Women in Real Estate
Karen Scanna recognized as 2009 Women in Real Estate Spotlight from the New York Real Estate Journal for their commercial transaction work this year.
August 26, 2009Karen Scanna Selected as 2009 Top Deal Maker by Real Estate Weekly
Karen Scanna selected as a top 2009 commercial deal maker by Real Estate Weekly for her high profile work in commercial real estate law.
November 22, 2008Stroock Partner Karen Scanna named to 2008 Women of Influence List
In its November 2008 issue, Real Estate New York selected Stroock's Karen Scanna as one of its Women of Influence in the commercial real estate industry in the region for her high-profile transactions work.