Kevin Matz concentrates on domestic and international estate and tax planning, estate administration and related litigation. His practice primarily involves advising high net worth individuals in wealth transfer planning; drafting wills and trusts; gift, estate, income and generation-skipping transfer tax planning and tax return preparation; charitable gift planning; probate proceedings and estate administration; and associated litigation as well as corporate counseling.
Kevin has advised clients on entity and succession planning, including use of family limited partnerships, use of grantor retained annuity trusts, transfers to irrevocable trusts involving complex valuations, qualified personal residence trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, and the use of charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts and private foundations to further family planning and philanthropic objectives.
Kevin is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, and has written and spoken extensively about the use of leveraged transfer techniques and estate planning for groups ranging from private equity fund managers to professional athletes. He is frequently cited in the professional literature, including by the Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning, for his innovative solutions and analysis.
Kevin is also a certified public accountant. Super Lawyers has recognized him two years running as a Rising Star.
- President, Foundation for Accounting Education (FAE)
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- Member, International Estate Planning Committee
- Member and Co-chair of the Model LLC Form subcommittee, Business Planning Committee
- Member and Chair of the Social Media subcommittee, Communications Committee
- Co-Chair of Tax Committee of Trusts and Estates Section of NY State Bar Association, 2017–2019
- Chair of NYSSCPA Estate Planning Conference, 2012–present
- Chair of NYSSCPA Estate Planning Committee, 2013–2015, 2017–2018
- Chair of NYSSCPA Entertainment, Arts and Sports Committee, 2011–2013
- Chair of NYSSCPA/FAE Curriculum Committee, 2016–2017
- Vice-Chair of UJA Federation of New York Trusts and Estates Lawyers Group, 2015–2017
Select publications include:
- “Does Lender Management Provide Family Offices with a Roadmap for Obtaining an IRC section 162 Trade or Business Expense Deduction in Connection with Providing Investment Management Services?” TaxStringer, June 1, 2018
- “Pass-Through Deduction Primer,” WealthManagement.com, March 16, 2018
- “A Major Change in Planning with Limited Entities,” WealthManagement.com, March 2, 2018
- “Gifting Opportunities Under the New Tax Law,” WealthManagement.com, March 2, 2018
- “Increased Exemption Amounts: Use Them or Lose Them?” WealthManagement.com, February 26, 2018
- “How the 2017 Tax Reform Act Affects Estate Planning for High-Net Worth Individuals,” TaxStringer, February 1, 2018
- “The Obama Administration’s Fiscal Year 2014 Tax Proposals That Pertain to Estate Planning,” TaxStringer, May 2013
- “A View from the Audience at Heckerling (2013),” WealthManagement.com, February 15, 2013
- “So What Does It Mean To Have a ‘Permanent’ Estate and Gift Tax System Anyway? – Estate Planning in 2013 and Beyond,” TaxStringer, February 2013
- “Estate Planning Opportunities During 2012 Before the Clock Strikes 2013 – Use It or Lose It?” TaxStringer, May 2012
New York; New Jersey
LL.M., New York University School of Law, 1996; Taxation
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1993
B.S., City University of New York, 1986
In The Spotlight
June 27, 2018|Press ReleaseShifra Herzberg Joins Stroock’s Private Client Services Group in New York as Special Counsel
February 21, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Adds Noted Private Clients Lawyer Sharon Soloff as Special Counsel in New York
July 6, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Partner Kevin Matz Appointed President-Elect, Foundation for Accounting Education’s Board of Trustees
May 23, 2017|Financial AdvisorKevin Matz quoted in "Little Tax Plan Promises Big Benefits For Wealthy Clients"
February 10, 2017|New York Law JournalKevin Matz mentioned in "On the Move"
February 9, 2017|Global Banking & Finance ReviewKevin Matz featured in "Stroock’s Private Client Services Group Adds Noted Private Wealth Attorney and CPA Kevin Matz as Partner in New York"
February 7, 2017|Fintech FinanceKevin Matz featured in "Stroock’s Private Client Services Group Adds CPA Kevin Matz as Partner in New York"
February 6, 2017|citybizlistKevin Matz featured in "Stroock’s Private Client Services Group Adds Kevin Matz as Partner in New York"
February 6, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock’s Private Client Services Group Adds Noted Private Wealth Attorney and CPA Kevin Matz as Partner in New York
July 17, 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin“When Opportunity Knocks to Defer Tax on Gains – ‘Qualified Opportunity Funds’”June 18, 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin“The Lender Case: Potential Avenue for Family Offices to Obtain Trade or Business Expense Deductions for Rendering Investment Management Services”June 1, 2018|The TaxStringer“Does Lender Management Provide Family Offices with a Roadmap for Obtaining an IRC section 162 Trade or Business Expense Deduction in Connection with Providing Investment Management Services?”March 16, 2018|WealthManagement.com"Pass-Through Deduction Primer"March 2, 2018|WealthManagement.com"Gifting Opportunities Under the New Tax Law"March 2, 2018|WealthManagement.com"A Major Change in Planning with Limited Entities"February 26, 2018|WealthManagement.com"Increased Exemption Amounts: Use Them or Lose Them?"February 1, 2018|TaxStringer"How the 2017 Tax Reform Act Affects Estate Planning for High-Net Worth Individuals"January 4, 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin"New Tax Law Provides Dramatic Estate, Gift and GST Tax Relief"August 1, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin"Eight Regulations the IRS Says Are “Unduly Complex,” Impose “an Undue Financial Burden on Taxpayers” or Exceed the IRS’s Statutory Authority"
Back To Full Bio
November 5, 2018NYSSCPA's Tax Planning for Individuals Conference
October 18, 2018Tax Planning under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017
September 5, 2018Estate Planning and Carried Interest: Estate Tax Reduction Strategies for Private Equity and Hedge Fund Founders
July 19-20, 2018NYU School of Professional Studies – Trusts and Estates Tax Conference
May 24, 2018NYSSCPA Annual Estate Planning Conference
March 1, 2018Highlights of 2018 Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning
January 24, 2018NYSBA Annual Meeting
December 7, 2017FAE's Trust and Estate Taxation Conference
November 29, 2017New York City Bar's CLE "Estate Planning Strategies: The Top Ten List"
November 16, 2017NYSSCPA's Estate Planning Committee Meeting
September 28, 2017New York State Society of CPAs Estate Planning
August 22, 2017U.S. Estate and Gift Taxation of Nonresident Aliens
August 1, 2017Estate Planning and Carried Interest: Estate Tax Reduction Strategies for Private Equity and Hedge Fund Founders
May 25, 2017NYSSCPA Annual Estate Planning Conference
April 3, 2017Yale Club Insurance Group Roundtable Discussion of the 51st Annual Heckerling Meeting
February 16, 2017NYSSCPA's 2017 Heckerling Review