Jeff Keitelman, co-managing partner of Stroock and co-chair of the national Real Estate Group, has been the lead lawyer on some of the country’s largest and most high-profile commercial real estate transactions. As the top lawyer advising The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the redevelopment of the World Trade Center, for example, he managed teams of attorneys over more than 12 years, advising on joint ventures, ground leases, acquisitions and dispositions, space leases, bond financing, construction and numerous other matters.
Known as a consummate dealmaker and strategist with deep knowledge and key relationships, Jeff helps clients structure, negotiate and close their most important transactions. He represents local, national and international investors, owners, occupiers, managers and brokers in acquisition, disposition, leasing, development, financing, joint venture, property management and related matters involving office, industrial, retail, residential and mixed-use properties.
In addition to guiding clients through traditional real estate matters, Jeff is also the architect of the firm’s unique government real estate practice, which advises owners who lease to government tenants in leasing, purchase/sale, lending, compliance, operations and protests and other claims. He also leads Stroock’s corporate real estate practice, which advises major occupiers of space in leasing, purchase/sale and other transactional matters. Jeff also has experience counseling clients in real estate-related litigation and bankruptcy, as well as public/private partnership transactions.
Jeff has been recognized for years by Chambers USA and Best Lawyers in America as one of the country’s top real estate lawyers. He has also been named by Law360 as a “Real Estate MVP” and Washingtonian magazine as a “Top Lawyer.”
Representative clients include Fortune 500 companies, pension funds and other investors, REITs, life insurance companies, financial institutions, foreign investors, investment advisers, law firms, developers, governmental entities, non-profit and educational institutions, trade associations and real estate funds.
Jeff has been the lead lawyer in the following sample representations, among others:
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in connection with all real estate-related aspects of its redevelopment of the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan for more than 12 years (including the net leases with Silverstein Properties for three towers, the joint venture with Durst with respect to One World Trade Center, the joint venture with and then sale to Westfield for the retail areas, the 1.3 million-square-foot anchor lease with Condé Nast, and the 300,000-square-foot lease marking the long-awaited return of the U.S. Government to the World Trade Center site).
- Alony Hetz Properties & Investments, an Israeli publicly traded company, in establishing a joint venture with JP Morgan Special Situations Fund and others to re-form Carr Properties, a Washington, D.C.-based real estate operating company. The then $1 billion company, with 24 real estate projects at closing, continues to acquire and develop office properties in the D.C. metropolitan area.
- Columbia Property Trust (NYSE: CXP), one of the nation’s largest public office REITs, on significant acquisitions, dispositions and leasing matters in major metropolitan markets, including the $522 million sale of a 22-building, 12-state portfolio; the $228 million acquisition of a 16-story, 387,943-square-foot office tower in the financial district of San Francisco, with the assumption of the existing mortgage loan secured by the property made by New York Life Insurance Company; the $433 million disposition of a multi-state, 11-property commercial office building portfolio; and ongoing leasing activities in major metropolitan markets.
- Skanska CDUS in connection with a 114,000-square-foot, 16-year lease of a large international law firm for its Washington, D.C. headquarters; Beacon Capital Partners in connection with a 115,000-square-foot, 15-year lease with MedStar Health for an outpatient surgical center in downtown D.C.; and numerous other owners of Class A office buildings with respect to major and/or anchor leases, build-to-suit transactions, major retail deals and other significant leasing and development matters.
- Pfizer, Cisco Systems, Verizon and other major U.S. corporations in headquarters relocations, build-to-suit development transactions and merger and acquisition transactions, as well as in ongoing leasing and facilities matters at national and international sites.
- Numerous buyers and sellers of government-occupied properties in connection with their acquisition, disposition and financing work, and numerous owners in leasing space to government tenants, all across the country. Examples include an 839,000-square-foot, two-building government lease for the Department of Justice, the largest federal government lease in D.C. since 2002; a 592,000-square-foot lease with the GSA for the U.S. Coast Guard headquarters; a 540,000-square-foot lease for the initial TSA headquarters; a 250,000-square-foot headquarters lease for the CFTC; a 600,000-square-foot lease with the GSA for the U.S. Department of State, Diplomatic Security Service; and a lease to the U.S. Government for 300,000 square feet of space in the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center.
Honors & Awards
- Jeff was most recently recognized by City & State as one of their “Law Power 50,” an honor which highlights New York’s 50 most influential lawyers.
- Jeff has consistently been recognized for years in numerous leading publications, including Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (calling him “outstanding,” “knowledgeable and experienced,” “incredibly client-focused,” and “noted among peers as possibly having more business than any other real estate attorney in Washington”), The Legal 500 (saying he possesses “excellent business sense and a keen sense for developing and negotiating strategies”), and Law360 MVP (citing his ability to understand “the client’s business and the circumstances of the deal, while at the same time having a big-picture mentality”).
- Jeff has also been recognized year after year by the Washington, D.C. edition of Super Lawyers; the Guide to the World’s Leading Real Estate Lawyers; PLC’s Global Counsel Handbook of Corporate Real Estate; various ALM publications as one of New York’s Top Rated Lawyers 2018; the Real Estate Expert Guide as one of the world’s leading real estate lawyers; and Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Real Estate Lawyers. He also has been “highly recommended” in the PLC Which Lawyer Yearbook and, based on peer reviews, listed in numerous editions of The Best Lawyers for real estate.
- Washington SmartCEO has named Jeff among its Legal Elite as the Leading Real Estate Lawyer in the D.C. area; the Washingtonian magazine named him a Top Lawyer in Washington; and the Washington Business Journal has named him the “Top Washington Lawyer” for Real Estate.
- Jeff has also received numerous awards for his community work, such as: the Washington Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 Award; a “Lifelong Champion” award of philanthropy, service and volunteerism by Greater DC Cares; Leadership Washington’s “Distinguished Leadership Award”; and Brown University’s John Hope Alumni Award for community service.
- Member, Association of Foreign Investors in Real Estate (AFIRE)
- Member, The Economic Club of Washington, D.C.
- Member, The Real Estate Roundtable
- Member, DC Building Industry Association
- Member, Real Estate Board of New York
- Member, CoreNet Global
- Member, National Federal Development Association
- Member, Federal Real Property Association
- Member, Office Development Council, Urban Land Institute
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Real Property Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, The International Association of Managing Partners
Civic and Charitable
- Founder, Greater DC Cares, Inc.
- Board Member, Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington
- Founding Member, City Cares of America, Inc.
- Member, Greater Washington Board of Trade
- Member, Leadership Washington (Class of 1991)
- Founding Member, Youth Leadership of Metropolitan Washington, Inc.
- Member, University of Miami Parent’s Council
- Member, Tulane University’s Parent’s Council
- Advisory Board Member, Junior Tennis Champions Center at College Park
- Trustee, Federal City Council
Speeches & Events
- Moderator, “The Sit Down: The Owner’s Perspective,” Commercial Observer 2nd Annual Financing Commercial Real Estate Forum, Washington, DC, October 17, 2018
- Moderator, “Panel on Committee on Foreign Investment in the US,” AFIRE Annual Membership Meeting, Washington, DC, September 6, 2018
- Presenter, “Legal Considerations Involved With Chinese Investment in US Real Estate,” China Outbound Real Estate Investment Forum, Beijing and Shanghai, April 23 and 25, 2013
- “Government Leasing: Troubleshooting and Trouble Prevention” seminar for US Government Properties Income & Growth Fund, March 29, 2011
- “Government Leasing: Troubleshooting and Trouble Prevention” seminar for Boston Properties, October 9, 2009
- “Retrofitting Commercial Buildings to be Green, Leases and Property Management Agreements (The LL’s Perspective),” Urban Land Institute (ULI) Professional Development Workshop, June 24, 2009
- “Defensive Tactics for Landlord (Non) Performance, Some Issues for Tenants to Consider when Negotiating Leases during the Capital Markets Crisis of 2009,” Conference hosted by Jones Lang LaSalle, June 4, 2009
- “Green Leasing in Existing Building: Creating an Attractive Lease for Both Tenants and Landlords,” Conference hosted by Allstate and the Chicago chapter of CoreNet Global, February 26, 2009
- “New Year, New Government: New Issues and Opportunities for Government Real Estate,” Conference in Washington, DC, February 25, 2009
- “Federal Security Standards: Which One Does the Tenant Want?” Presentation to the Maryland/DC Chapter of NAIOP, February 16, 2009
- “Negotiation Operating Expense Clauses and Enforcement by Lease Audits,” The Mid-Atlantic Chapter of CoreNet Global, October 14, 2005
- “Acquisition Strategies and Leasing/Property Management Issues,” Wells Real Estate Funds, March 29-30, 2005
- “Leasing and Negotiating Trends,” Jones Lang LaSalle Americas Annual Meeting, March 16, 2005
- “Legal Aspects of Government Leasing (or) What Gives Landlord’s Heartburn?” Annual Conference of the Federal Real Property Association in Washington, DC, October 27, 2004
- “Government Leases – Doing Deals with GSA Tenants,” CLE International in Washington, DC, June 7-8, 2004
- “Government Leasing and Compliance,” Equity Office Properties in Chicago, October 16, 2003
- “GSA Leasing Issues,” RealShare DC Conference, Washington DC, Fall 2003
- Co-author, “Real Estate In the Crosshairs: Congressional Calls to Step Up Scrutiny of Foreign Investment,” Global Banking & Finance Review, June 21, 2017
- Co-author, “What Real Estate Cos. Need To Know About CFIUS Reviews,” Law360, January 5, 2016
- Co-author, “Sequestration: Déjà vu All Over Again?” DCBIA Pipeline magazine, December 2013
- Co-author, “Is Your Commission-Sharing Agreement Legal?” CoreNet Global Industry Tracker-Member Viewpoint, December 2011
- Co-author, “DC’s PACE Law: What It Means for Owners,” Washington Business Journal, May 7, 2010
- Contributor, “Green Leases: A Global Perspective,” PLC Environment, August 18, 2009
- Commentator, “Craig’s Corner for Counsel: Green Real Estate” column, Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 31, 2009
- Co-author, “Green Leasing: What to Look for and What to Avoid,” Report for Jones Lang LaSalle website, November 2008
- Co-author, “Brush Up on Security Guidelines Before Leasing to GSA Tenants,” Real Estate Forum, October 2005
- Participant, Group Interview of Leaders in Corporate Real Estate, The Leader: CoreNet Global Magazine, September 2005
- “Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance Ushers in New Era of Opportunity,” Corporate Real Estate Leader, May 2004
- “Creative Disposition Strategies: The Art of Two Deals,” CoreNews, the bi-monthly magazine for Mid-Atlantic Chapter of CoreNet Global’s Corporate Real Estate Network, November 2003
- Contributing author, “Leasing Negotiation Handbook,” The American Law Institute-American Bar Association (ALI-ABA) Committee on Continuing Professional Education, in cooperation with the International Association of Attorneys and Executives in Corporate Real Estate (AECRE), November 2003
- Co-author, “Increasing Security,” Legal Times, October 8, 2001, Vol. XXIV, No. 40
Admitted To Practice
Connecticut; District of Columbia; New York
J.D., Columbia Law School, 1986; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Note and Comment Editor, Journal of Environmental Law
B.A., magna cum laude, Brown University, 1982; Economics; Phi Beta Kappa
In The Spotlight
67 Stroock Attorneys Recognized as 2019 ‘Super Lawyers,’ ‘Rising Stars’
September 13, 2019View All News
Real Estate Transactions Impacted by New CFIUS Regulations
September 23, 2019View All Publications
NewsBack To Full Bio
September 13, 2019 | Press Release
67 Stroock Attorneys Recognized as 2019 ‘Super Lawyers,’ ‘Rising Stars’
August 15, 2019 | Best Lawyers
47 Stroock Lawyers Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2020
August 1, 2019 | Law360
Jeff Keitelman, Alan Klinger Featured in Law360 ‘Law Firm Leaders’ Series
June 7, 2019
Stroock Receives Honors in 16 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2019: 41 Stroock Lawyers Recognized
May 13, 2019
Jeff Keitelman, Alan Klinger and Jerry Goldfeder Named to City & State New York’s ‘Law Power 50’
April 25, 2019 | Chambers USA
Stroock Ranked in 9 Practice Areas by Chambers USA 2019; 25 Leading Lawyers Recognized
December 26, 2018 | ABF Journal
Stroock Mentioned in ABF Journal
December 20, 2018 | New York Real Estate Journal
Jeff Keitelman and Karen Scanna Featured in the New York Real Estate Journal 2018 Year in Review
October 31, 2018
Stroock Receives Leadership Council on Legal Diversity’s Compass Award
October 19, 2018 | Commercial Observer
Jeff Keitelman Featured in “Capital in the Capital: DC Owners Dish About Their Lending Needs”
October 15, 2018 | Global Legal Chronicle
Stroock's National Real Estate Team Guides Easterly In $244M Deal For 8 Properties
September 24, 2018
Stroock Guides Easterly In $244M Deal For 8 Properties
August 9, 2018 | Law360
Austin Lilling featured, and Jeff Keitelman quoted, in “Stroock Hires Executive Compensation Partner For NY Office”
June 1, 2018
Stroock Receives Honors in 16 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2018: 38 Stroock Lawyers Recognized
May 3, 2018
Stroock Ranked in 11 Practice Areas by Chambers USA 2018; 29 Leading Lawyers Recognized
April 18, 2018 | Global Banking & Finance Review
Michael Emanuel featured, and Jeff Keitelman quoted, in “Stroock’s Private Funds Group Adds Former Investment Management GC and Compliance Counselor Michael Emanuel as Partner in New York”
April 17, 2018 | Wealthadviser
Michael Emanuel featured, and Jeff Keitelman quoted, in “Stroock adds to Private Funds Group”
April 16, 2018
Stroock’s Private Funds Group Adds Former Investment Management GC and Compliance Counselor Michael Emanuel as Partner in New York
April 16, 2018 | HFM
Michael Emanuel and Jeff Keitelman quoted in “Eagle co-COO and GC departs”
April 13, 2018
Stroock Represents Pfizer in Global Headquarters Relocation in NYC
February 9, 2018 | Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal
Jeff Keitelman, Steven Moskowitz, Joseph Miller and Kelly Booker mentioned in “Stroock represents Carr Properties in 341,000 s/f D.C. transaction and purchase of 350 Morse St., NE”
January 26, 2018 | REBusiness Online
Jeff Keitelman, Steven Moskowitz, Joseph Miller, Kelly Booker and Gail Suchman mentioned in "Stroock Arranges $166.2M Sale of Office Building in D.C.’s West End"
January 24, 2018 | GlobeSt.com
Jeff Keitelman, Steven Moskowitz, Joseph Miller, Kelly Booker and Gail Suchman mentioned in "Carr Properties Buys, Sells Assets In DC"
January 23, 2018
Stroock Represents Carr Properties in Two More D.C. Transactions
January 11, 2018 | Washington Business Journal
Jeff Keitelman mentioned in "Carr Properties to build on Union Market's momentum"
January 8, 2018 | Global Banking & Finance Review
Bradley Kulman, Jeff Keitelman, Steven Moskowitz, Mayer Greenberg, Micah Bloomfield, Deborah Bernstein, Daniel Martinez, Kelly Booker, Lauren Swanson and Natalie Lin mentioned in "Stroock Represents Carr Properties in Convertible Debt Investment by Clal Insurance Enterprises Holdings Ltd."
January 8, 2018
Stroock Forms Internal Investigations Unit to Help Companies and Organizations Respond to Suspected Sexual Misconduct
January 5, 2018 | Property Funds World
Bradley Kulman, Jeff Keitelman, Steven Moskowitz, Mayer Greenberg, Micah Bloomfield, Deborah Bernstein, Daniel Martinez, Kelly Booker, Lauren Swanson and Natalie Lin mentioned in "Stroock represents Carr Properties in convertible debt investment by Clal Insurance Enterprises"
January 3, 2018
Stroock Represents Carr Properties in Convertible Debt Investment by Clal Insurance Enterprises Holdings Ltd.
January 2, 2018 | IP Pro
Jeffrey Keitelman quoted, and Jason Sobel mentioned, in "Stroock promotes IP partner"
December 20, 2017 | Property Funds World
Jeff Keitelman quoted and Trevor Adler, Jake Loftus, André Nance, Arjun Rao, Jason Sobel, E. Gail Suchman, Nicole De Bare, Christine Ellice, Hans Hertell, David Kahne and Daniel Park mentioned in "Stroock appoints 11 new partners and special counsel"
October 16, 2017
Stroock Advises Columbia Property Trust in $514 Million Acquisition of Two Prime New York Office Buildings with Marquee Tenants
September 22, 2017 | Hedge Fund Legal & Compliance Digest
Eric Requenez mentioned and Jeff Keitelman quoted in "Stroock Snags Private Funds Partner Eric Requenez"
August 15, 2017
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
August 3, 2017
Stroock Advising Developer TF Cornerstone on Major New Waterfront Project in Long Island City
July 20, 2017 | Press Release
Stroock Partners with New York Lawyers for Public Interest to Develop Critical Guide for Nonprofits on Immigration Enforcement
June 21, 2017 | Global Banking & Finance Review
Jeff Keitelman and Chris Griner featured in "Real Estate in the Crosshairs: Congressional Calls to Step Up Scrutiny of Foreign Investment"
June 16, 2017
Stroock Hosts Forum on Foreign Investment and National Security Under Trump
June 2, 2017
Stroock Receives High Honors in 13 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2017: 37 Stroock Attorneys Recognized
June 1, 2017
Stroock Earns Top Tier Rank in 11 Practices by Chambers USA 2017: 30 Leading Attorneys Recognized
April 20, 2017
Real Estate Forum and GlobeSt Honor Five Separate Stroock Transactions Nationally for Best Deals of 2016
September 21, 2016 | Washington Business Journal
Jeff R. Keitelman featured in "Stroock & Stroock & Lavan Taps D.C. Partner to Lead Firm"
September 21, 2016 | Bloomberg Big Law Business
Jeff R. Keitelman featured in "Stroock Adds to Firm's Changing Leadership"
September 21, 2016 | New York Law Journal
Jeff R. Keitelman featured in "Stroock Names DC Partner as New Co-Leader"
September 21, 2016 | Law360
Jeff R. Keitelman featured in "Stroock Picks New Co-Managing Partner"
September 21, 2016 | GlobeSt.com
Jeff R. Keitelman and Stuart H. Coleman featured in "Stroock Co-Managing Partner Stepping Down"
September 20, 2016
Stroock Announces Selection of New Co-Managing Partner
August 15, 2016
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2017
May 27, 2016
Stroock Ranked By Chambers USA For 2016
April 1, 2016 | Law360
Jeffrey R. Keitelman and Joseph F. Miller mentioned in "Stroock Steers Columbia Property's $187M Baltimore Sale"
March 16, 2016 | Washington Business Journal
Jeffrey R. Keitelman quoted in "GSA official to help law firm expand its federal real estate practice"
January 5, 2016
Two Stroock Partners Named Washingtonian’s Top Lawyers for 2015
November 24, 2015 | Law360
Real Estate MVP: Stroock's Jeffrey R. Keitelman
November 24, 2015 | Law360
"Law360 Real Estate MVP: Stroock’s Jeffrey Keitelman"
August 17, 2015
45 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2016
July 10, 2015 | Bisnow
Jeffrey R. Keitelman Talks to Bisnow About His Move to Stroock
June 24, 2015 | The Commercial Observer
Real Estate Partners quoted in "The Lawyers at the Forefront of Stroock's Real Estate Explosion"
June 4, 2015 | Law360
Real Estate team highlighted in "Stroock Lures 8 From DLA Piper For Real Estate Practice"
May 26, 2015
Stroock Continues National Expansion with Addition of Eight Real Estate Attorneys in Washington, DC and New York Firm Adds 23 Attorneys in the Last Six Months Across All Offices
PublicationsBack To Full Bio
September 23, 2019 | Stroock Special Bulletin
Real Estate Transactions Impacted by New CFIUS Regulations
June 3, 2019 | Stroock Special Bulletin
D.C. Council Approves Increase in Transfer, Recordation Taxes
June 1, 2017 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"Real Estate in the Crosshairs: Congressional Calls to Step Up Scrutiny of Foreign Investment"
July 11, 2016 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"July 6th – 'Not So Independent' Day?"
January 5, 2016 | Law360
"What Real Estate Cos. Need To Know About CFIUS Reviews"
12/21/15 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"CFIUS and The Waldorf Astoria"