- Representative Matters
- Honors & Awards
Jonathan Canfield concentrates his practice in the area of financial restructuring and represents bondholders, lenders and other creditors, acquirers, investors, DIP lenders, official creditors' committees, equity holders and debtors in restructurings of financially distressed companies in chapter 11 and in out-of-court financial restructurings. Mr. Canfield also frequently represents hedge funds, private equity funds, banks and large institutional investors in the development and execution of distressed investment strategies.
In addition, Mr. Canfield has experience in the representation of major financial institutions and borrowers in a broad range of high value cross-border and domestic asset finance transactions, including syndicated secured loans, acquisition finance, private placements of debt and equity, public offerings and mergers and acquisitions.
- ATI Education, Inc. (secured lenders)
- Brookstone, Inc. (DIP lenders/ad hoc bondholder committee)
- Caesars Entertainment Operating Co. (ad hoc bank lender committee)
- China Medical Technologies, Inc. (ad hoc bondholder committee)
- DynCorp International Inc. (ad hoc noteholder committee/new term loan lenders)
- Fred Leighton Holdings, Inc. (senior secured lender)
- Indiana Downs / Indiana Live! (ad hoc noteholder committee)
- Loehmann’s (debtor)
- Momentive Performance Materials Inc. (ad hoc bondholder committee/certain backstop parties)
- Panda Temple Power (DIP lenders/ad hoc bank lender committee)
- Patriot Coal Corp. (ad hoc bondholder committee)
- School Specialty, Inc. (DIP lenders/ad hoc bondholder committee)
- SFX Entertainment, Inc. (DIP lenders, foreign loan lenders and ad hoc bondholder committee)
- Xerium Technologies, Inc. (debtor)
HONORS & AWARDS
Mr. Canfield has been recognized by Turnarounds & Workouts as one of 2017's "Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyers," an honor given to only a dozen attorneys in the country.
He is also listed as a "Next Generation Lawyer" in The Legal 500 United States 2017 guide to up-and-coming lawyers nationwide.
In addition, Mr. Canfield was named as a "Rising Star" in IFLR1000's 2016 edition and featured as a Super Lawyers "Rising Star" for 2013-2016.
- Co-author, "The Preemption of Contractual Anti-Assignment Provisions in Bankruptcy: A Survey of Cases from FCX to Federal-Mogul," Norton Annual Survey, 2013
- "Minimum Jurisdictional Threshold for U.S. Bankruptcy Courts in Cross-border Insolvency Cases," INSOL World, Second Quarter 2013
- "Clearing the Track: Delaware Bankruptcy Court Clarifies Post-Petition Lock-up Designation Standards in In re Indianapolis Downs, LLC," ABI Journal, April 2013
- "Circus & Eldorado Joint Venture: Court Rules on 'Bad Faith' for Vote Designation," New York Law Journal, 2012
- "How Low Can You Go? Minimum Jurisdictional Threshold for U.S. Bankruptcy Courts in Cross-Border Insolvency Cases," ABI International Committee News, March 2012
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
J.D., magna cum laude, Hofstra University School of Law, 2006; Articles Editor, Hofstra Law Review
B.S., cum laude, Clarkson University, 2002
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Stroock Receives High Honors in 13 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2017: 37 Stroock Attorneys Recognized
June 2, 2017|Press Release
Jonathan Canfield Selected as 2017 “Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer” by Turnarounds & Workouts
April 27, 2017|As mentioned in: Turnaround & Workouts
Stroock Names Four New Partners and One Special Counsel for 2016
December 14, 2015
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
“What Conduct is Required to Designate Votes Pursuant to Bankruptcy Code
2014 Edition|Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law
- "‘Allied’ May Expand Circumstances for Reopening a Bankruptcy Auction"December 9, 2013|New York Law Journal
- "The Preemption of Contractual Antiassignment Provisions in Bankruptcy: A Survey of Cases from FCX to Federal-Mogul"2013|Norton Annual Survey of Bankruptcy Law, 2013 Edition
- “Minimum Jurisdictional Threshold for U.S.Bankruptcy Courts in Cross-border Insolvency Cases”Second Quarter 2013|INSOL World
- “Post-Petition Lock-Up Agreements and Designation Standards Clarified”April 2013|American Bankruptcy Institute Journal
- Circus & Eldorado Joint Venture: Court Rules on “Bad Faith” for Vote DesignationDecember 3, 2012|New York Law Journal
- "How Low Can You Go? Minimum Jurisdictional Threshold for U.S. Bankruptcy Courts in Cross-Border Insolvency Cases"March 2012, Volume 9, Number 2|ABI International Committee News
- "‘Allied’ May Expand Circumstances for Reopening a Bankruptcy Auction"