Deana Stein is an associate in the litigation group, specializing in complex commercial litigation and arbitration, with particular experience in the areas of commercial landlord-tenant disputes, business dissolution, insurance and reinsurance, and workers’ compensation. Ms. Stein has extensive experience in motion practice and discovery.
In her pro bono practice, Ms. Stein has represented victims of human trafficking in the agricultural industry, wherein individual victims were awarded a judgment of $3.5 million in damages against the farm’s crew leader. Ms. Stein also works with the Urban Justice Center in staffing two housing court clinics in Manhattan to assist tenants with issues arising in the context of residential landlord-tenant relationships.
- Member, New York City Bar Association, 2014-present
- Member, Entertainment Committee, 2016-present
- Member, Blue Hill Troupe, 2016-present
- Co-author, "Inclusionary Housing And Its Takings Law Challenges," Law360, March 4, 2015
- Co-author, "Housing New York: A Quick Look at Mandatory Inclusionary Housing Programs (and Legal Issues under Federal Takings Law)," Stroock Real Estate Special Bulletin, February 19, 2015
- "'Every Move That She Makes:' Copyright Protection for Stage Directions and the Fictional Character Standard," 34 Cardozo L. Rev. 1571 (April 2013)
New York, 2014; New Jersey, 2013
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2016; U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2016
J.D., magna cum laude, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, 2013; Notes Editor, Cardozo Law Review, 2012-2013
B.M., summa cum laude, Boston University, 2008