- Representative Matters
- Speeches & Events
David Kahne focuses on complex commercial litigation including commodities, securities, derivatives and other fixed income products and has represented financial institutions and trading firms in state, federal courts and bankruptcy courts and in investigations before regulatory agencies, including the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. Mr. Kahne’s practice also focuses on public sector labor relations, working with some of New York City’s and Long Island’s largest public employee unions. In this context, he has represented clients in a variety of areas in both state and federal court including labor, employment, contract, pension issues and constitutional rights.
REPRESENTATIVE MATTERSMr. Kahne’s representations have included:
- Representation of banks and funds in connection with the valuation, filing and litigation of derivative and guaranty claims arising from the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy proceedings in the United States.
- Representations of commodity trading firms in litigations arising from contracts for the purchase and sale of commodities, including the defense of an international commodities trading firm in a class action concerning claims of alleged manipulation of the North Sea Brent crude oil market in violation of the Commodity Exchange Act.
- Representations of commodity trading firms in connection with investigations by government regulatory agencies, including the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, relating to the purchase and sale of natural gas, crude oil, wheat, cotton, and commodity index products.
- Representing one of the City’s largest municipal unions in contract negotiations, arbitrations and related mediation and administrative proceedings.
- Representing the City municipal union umbrella organization in various health benefits and collective bargaining related matters.
SPEECHES & EVENTS
- Speaker, "Workplace Privacy in a Digital World: Employee Surveillance, Information Security, Social Media, and BYOD Policies," Employment Law 2015: Current and Cutting-Edge Issues for the Corporate Counselor and General Practitioner, Labor and Employment Law Section, New York State Bar Association, New York, NY, June 30, 2015
- Speaker, “Ethics in E-Discovery,” Labor and Employment Law Section, New York State Bar Association Annual Meeting, New York, NY, January, 2014
- “Curbing the Abuser, Not the Abuse: A Call for Greater Professional Accountability and Stricter Ethical Guidelines for Class Action Lawyers,” Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics, 2006, Vol. 19, No. 741
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
New York, 2008
Law Clerk, Hon. Brian M. Cogan, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2009-2010
J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center, 2007
B.A., magna cum laude, Duke University, 2004
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Trevor Adler, André Nance, Jason Sobel, E. Gail Suchman, Nicole De Bare, David Kahne and Daniel Park mentioned in "On the Move"
January 2, 2018|As mentioned in: New York Law Journal
Trevor Adler, Jake Loftus, André Nance, Arjun Rao, Jason Sobel, E. Gail Suchman, Nicole De Bare, Christine Ellice, Hans Hertell, David Kahne and Daniel Park mentioned in "Wrap-Up: Holidays Bring Law Firm Promotions, Hires"
December 20, 2017|As mentioned in: Bloomberg Big Law Business
Jeff Keitelman quoted and Trevor Adler, Jake Loftus, André Nance, Arjun Rao, Jason Sobel, E. Gail Suchman, Nicole De Bare, Christine Ellice, Hans Hertell, David Kahne and Daniel Park mentioned in "Stroock appoints 11 new partners and special counsel"
December 20, 2017|As mentioned in: Property Funds World
Stroock Elevates 11 New Partners and Special Counsel
December 18, 2017|Press Release
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"Supreme Court Unanimously Rules SEC Power to Seek Disgorgement Subject to Five-Year Statute of Limitations"
June 6, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
- Stroock Reports – Public Employee LawSpring 2017|Stroock Reports – Public Employee Law
- "Supreme Court Leaves Remote Tippee Liability Unresolved in Salman v. United States"December 8, 2016|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "Public Sector Pensions Under Attack"November 7, 2016|New York Law Journal
- "Stroock Files Amicus Brief on Behalf of SIFMA in BNY Mellon v. WMC Mortgage"August 4, 2016|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "Stroock Files Amicus Brief in the U.S. Supreme Court in Merrill Lynch v. Manning"September 16, 2015|Stroock Special Bulletin
- Stroock Reports: Public Employee LawSummer 2015|Stroock Reports: Public Employee Law
- Stroock Reports – Public Employee Law