David Kahne focuses on complex commercial litigation including commodities, securities, derivatives and other fixed income products and has represented financial institutions and trading firms in state, federal courts and bankruptcy courts and in investigations before regulatory agencies, including the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. Mr. Kahne’s practice also focuses on public sector labor relations, working with some of New York City’s and Long Island’s largest public employee unions. In this context, he has represented clients in a variety of areas in both state and federal court including labor, employment, contract, pension issues and constitutional rights.
- Representation of banks and funds in connection with the valuation, filing and litigation of derivative and guaranty claims arising from the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy proceedings in the United States.
- Representations of commodity trading firms in litigations arising from contracts for the purchase and sale of commodities, including the defense of an international commodities trading firm in a class action concerning claims of alleged manipulation of the North Sea Brent crude oil market in violation of the Commodity Exchange Act.
- Representations of commodity trading firms in connection with investigations by government regulatory agencies, including the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, relating to the purchase and sale of natural gas, crude oil, wheat, cotton, and commodity index products.
- Representing one of the City’s largest municipal unions in contract negotiations, arbitrations and related mediation and administrative proceedings.
- Representing the City municipal union umbrella organization in various health benefits and collective bargaining related matters.
- The Legal 500 United States
- Speaker, "Workplace Privacy in a Digital World: Employee Surveillance, Information Security, Social Media, and BYOD Policies," Employment Law 2015: Current and Cutting-Edge Issues for the Corporate Counselor and General Practitioner, Labor and Employment Law Section, New York State Bar Association, New York, NY, June 30, 2015
- Speaker, “Ethics in E-Discovery,” Labor and Employment Law Section, New York State Bar Association Annual Meeting, New York, NY, January, 2014
- “Curbing the Abuser, Not the Abuse: A Call for Greater Professional Accountability and Stricter Ethical Guidelines for Class Action Lawyers,” Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics, 2006, Vol. 19, No. 741
New York, 2008
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Law Clerk, Hon. Brian M. Cogan, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2009-2010
J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center, 2007
B.A., magna cum laude, Duke University, 2004
In The Spotlight
June 1, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Receives Honors in 16 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2018:
38 Stroock Lawyers Recognized
January 2, 2018|New York Law JournalTrevor Adler, André Nance, Jason Sobel, E. Gail Suchman, Nicole De Bare, David Kahne and Daniel Park mentioned in "On the Move"
December 20, 2017|Bloomberg Big Law BusinessTrevor Adler, Jake Loftus, André Nance, Arjun Rao, Jason Sobel, E. Gail Suchman, Nicole De Bare, Christine Ellice, Hans Hertell, David Kahne and Daniel Park mentioned in "Wrap-Up: Holidays Bring Law Firm Promotions, Hires"
December 20, 2017|Property Funds WorldJeff Keitelman quoted and Trevor Adler, Jake Loftus, André Nance, Arjun Rao, Jason Sobel, E. Gail Suchman, Nicole De Bare, Christine Ellice, Hans Hertell, David Kahne and Daniel Park mentioned in "Stroock appoints 11 new partners and special counsel"
December 18, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Elevates 11 New Partners and Special Counsel