Charles Moerdler is Co-Chair of Stroock’s Litigation Group. His practice is broad-based, including concentrations in real estate and land use, health care, international law, labor law and administrative law. He also has extensive experience in state and federal appellate practice.
Charles has represented many of New York’s leading real estate developers and owners, as well as real estate trade organizations, in a variety of contexts, including antitrust, land use and zoning and brokerage and contract disputes. He has served as outside general counsel to one of the largest hospitals in the country, one of the nation's largest health maintenance organizations and a major New York City daily newspaper, for which he has also served as a director. He regularly counsels Austria's largest bank in international litigation and served as board chairman of its U.S. subsidiary. He acts for Austria's largest electricity and power enterprise and one of its largest realtors, and has represented other major European companies.
Charles also represents the American Federation of Teachers and has served as lead negotiator for municipal labor unions, including the United Federation of Teachers and the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association. He has been appointed by federal courts to serve as a special master to resolve complex disputes, including ERISA, securities and antitrust matters, and has served as a private arbitrator and mediator in a variety of contexts.
Charles has extensive public sector experience. He serves as a board member of New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority, including Metro North Railroad, Long Island Railroad, NYC Transit Authority and Triborough Bridge & Tunnel Authority; as a member of the Board of Directors of the New York City Housing Development Corp.; and has served on the board of the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York. He was Commissioner of Housing and Buildings of the City of New York; a real estate and development consultant to New York City Mayor John Lindsay; a member of the city’s Air Pollution Control Board; and chairman and commissioner of the New York State Insurance Fund.
Charles has been recognized by The Legal 500 as a leader in dispute resolution and by Best Lawyers.
- Best Lawyers
- The Legal 500
- Board Member, Metropolitan Transportation Authority (including boards of NYC Transit, Metro North Railroad, Long Island Railroad, NY Bus Company), 2010-present
- Chair, Bridges and Tunnels Committee, 2016-present
- Chair, Procurement Reform Task Force
- Member, Dormitory Authority of the State of New York, 2010-2012
- Member and Gubernatorial Appointee, New York City Housing Development Corp., 1997-present
- Commissioner and Chair, New York State Insurance Fund
- Member and Labor Representative, New York City Board of Collective Bargaining, 2000-present
- Member, New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division, First Department
- Member, Committee on Attorney Grievances, 1998-2004, 2006-2011, 2015-present
- Member, Committee on Character and Fitness, 1977-present
- Vice Chairman, Committee on Character and Fitness, 1998-present
- Member, New York City Residential Mortgage Insurance Corporation, 1998-present
- Member, American College of Special Masters
- Member, Editorial Board, New York Law Journal, 1986-present (emeritus)
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Trustee, St. Barnabas Hospital, 1986-present
- Member, American Jewish Congress
- Co-Chairman, Governing Council, 2008-2010
- Senior Vice President, 2004-2007
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Claims
U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., Fordham University, 1956; Associate Editor, Fordham Law Review, 1955
B.A., Long Island University, 1953
In The Spotlight
June 1, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Receives Honors in 16 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2018:
38 Stroock Lawyers Recognized
August 15, 2017|Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
June 2, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Receives High Honors in 13 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2017: 37 Stroock Attorneys Recognized
August 15, 2016 |Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2017
April 14, 2016| Gotham GazetteStroock's forum highlighted in "Debate Over Best Path to Affordable Housing Development Continues"
December 8, 2015Stroock Hosts Forum on ObamaCare in the New York Health Delivery System
November 20, 2015| The New York TimesStroock Featured in The New York Times "Best Lawyers" 2016 New York City Supplement
September 18, 2015| Amsterdam NewsCharles G. Moerdler quoted in "Teachers fight back against tenure lawsuit"
August 17, 201545 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2016
March 17, 2010Stroock’s Charles Moerdler Confirmed as Member of the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York
April 3, 2008Capital Markets Crisis Group Expansion