Ms. Salladin represents foreign and domestic clients in various industries before CFIUS and handles matters related to the mitigation of foreign ownership, control or influence (FOCI) under national security regulations.
As Senior Counsel at the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Ms. Salladin had responsibility for providing legal advice on CFIUS matters and participated in the review and investigation of well over 500 transactions filed with CFIUS, including many of the major Chinese acquisitions of U.S. businesses in recent years. She also participated in revising and implementing the CFIUS regulations.
In addition to her CFIUS work on behalf of the government, Ms. Salladin negotiated major government-to-government arrangements tied to the Mexican and Asian financial crises, and worked extensively on matters relating to sovereign wealth funds. She also has significant experience in sovereign debt restructuring involving Argentina, Russia and other countries. Ms. Salladin was part of the G-10 working group focused on sovereign debt documentation designed to facilitate orderly resolution of sovereign debt crises.
In recognition of her significant contributions during her Treasury career, in particular her work on national security issues, Ms. Salladin is a recipient of the Secretary’s Meritorious Service Award. The award citation notes that she was “indispensable in helping [CFIUS] to protect U.S. security in dozens of complex transactions” and is “widely acknowledged as an expert on sovereign debt, [and] a key player in the U.S. efforts to secure global economic stability through the design of sovereign debt restructuring regimes.”
Before joining the Treasury Department, Ms. Salladin spent several years with a major international law firm in New York City, where she practiced corporate and securities law. Ms. Salladin began her career as an officer with the Morgan Guaranty Trust Company of New York, where she had responsibility for relationships with Japanese financial institutions. Ms. Salladin has been quoted frequently in the media, including The Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, the South China Morning Post, Bloomberg and Law360 among others.
- Representation of German multi-national corporation before CFIUS and the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls in connection with the German corporation’s $5 billion acquisition by a Chinese corporation, the largest acquisition of a German company by a Chinese investor, and the first Chinese corporate acquisition of a publicly traded German company.
- Hired as expert witness on CFIUS matters in connection with litigation in the U.K. courts.
- Representation of a major semiconductor manufacturer in connection with sale of assets to a Chinese private equity firm.
- Representation of a European multinational aerospace and defense corporation before the Department of Defense in connection with national security matters.
- Representation of a multinational company engaged in the design and manufacture of equipment and systems for the aerospace, defense and electronics industries in connection with national security matters.
- Representation of a company engaged in research, development and production of launch vehicles and rocket systems in connection with national security matters.
- Representation of a multinational information and analytics company in connection with national security matters.
- Representation of a multinational company engaged in defense research and development, which is a significant supplier to the defense industry in the U.K. in connection with national security matters.
- Representation of a German multinational chemical company in FOCI mitigation arrangements with respect to its $75 billion business combination with another entity.
- Nationally ranked by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Recipient of the U.S. Department of the Treasury Secretary's Meritorious Service Award
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, General Counsel's Award for Excellence in Legal Research and Writing
- Board Member, Friends of the Law Library of Congress, 2008-2013
- Board Member, Friends of the National Zoo, 2008-2013
- Board Member, Washington Foreign Law Society, 1998-2010
- Member, Trade Policy Forum
- Working Group Participant, Review of CFIUS, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)
- Panelist, “The Society for International Economic Law 6th Biennial Global Conference,” Society for International Economic Law and American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C., July 13, 2018
- Speaker, “CFIUS in a Time of Change: How Investors and Counsel Must Adapt to a Changing Environment for Foreign Investment Reviews,” PLI Webcast, June 14, 2018
- Speaker, CTFN Lunch and Conversation, CTFN Speaker Series, New York, NY, June 7, 2018
- Speaker, “National security or national protectionism? Increasing restrictions on foreign investment,” Linklaters LLP, Webinar, April 24, 2018
- Panelist, “Trumpeting New U.S.-Sino Trade Relations,” ABA Section of International Law 2018 Annual Conference, New York, NY, April 18, 2018
- Panelist, "Delays, Political Vacancies and Uncertainty: Practitioners Discuss Recent, "On the Ground" Successes and Challenges to Obtaining CFIUS Approvals," ACI's 4th National Forum on CFIUS & Team Telecom, Washington, DC, January 31, 2018
- Panelist, "CFIUS in 2018: Is It Time to Reform the CFIUS Process?," Trade Policy Forum, Washington, DC, January 24, 2018
- Panelist, "Reshuffling the China Deck with the Trump Card," ABA Section of International Law Fall Conference, Miami, FL, October 26, 2017
- Panelist, "Doing Business in and with Emerging Markets 2017," Practising Law Institute, New York, NY, June 28, 2017
- Panelist, "Foreign Investment and National Security in the Age of Trump," Stroock Government Relations Leadership Forum Series, New York, NY, June 15, 2017
- Speaker, "The Yangtze and Mississippi Rivers - Will the Flow of U.S.-China Foreign Direct Investment Continue?" ABA Section of International Law Spring Meeting, Washington, DC, April 27, 2017
- Panelist, "Foreign Investment In The U.S.: Obtaining CFIUS Approval," J.P. Morgan Special Situations Investor Forum, Washington, DC, March 13, 2017
- Panelist, "Challenges and Opportunities for M&A in the Year of Trump and China's Political Reshuffle," London, England, February 7, 2017
- Speaker, "3rd National Forum on CFIUS & Team Telecom," American Conference Institute, Washington, DC, February 1, 2017
- Panelist, "Chinese M&A Activity in the U.S.," National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Convention, San Diego, CA, November 5, 2016
- Speaker, "Working with CFIUS on U.S. Investment Transactions," China General Chamber of Commerce - U.S.A., New York, NY, October 21, 2016
- Speaker, "The Annual Aerospace & Defense Acquisitions Roundtable," Washington, DC, April 19, 2016
- Speaker, "CFIUS Annual Report: 147 Reviews. 24 Chinese," Practising Law Institute, Webinar, April 7, 2016
- Panelist, "Liberalized? Have National Security Reviews Replaced Regulation of Foreign Ownership?" Canadian Bar Association National Conference, Ontario, Canada, May 5-6, 2016
- Speaker, Special Briefing for Embassy of the United Kingdom, Washington, DC, February 26, 2016
- Speaker, U.S. Legal Implications of Foreign Direct Investment for Chinese CEO’s, Washington, DC, September 23, 2015
- Co-Chair and Panelist, American Conference Institute's 2nd National Forum on CFIUS, Washington, DC, July 21, 2015
- Speaker, “Foreign Investment and Competition Reviews: Increasing Interface,” ABA Spring Antitrust Meeting, Washington, DC, April 15, 2015
- Speaker, CFIUS's Web: From Pig Farms to the Waldorf - How Real Estate and Other Transactions Outside the Defense Sector May Trigger CFIUS Review, Practising Law Institute, Webcast, February 5, 2015
- Panelist, Navigating the Intersection of Foreign Investment Review and Merger Review, ABA International Committee - Foreign Investment Review Series, Webinar, January 21, 2015
- Speaker, CFIUS: Insights from the CFIUS Staff Chairperson, Practitioners & Industry, The District of Columbia Bar, Washington, DC, December 17, 2014
- Co-author, “The Elephant in the Room," Stroock Special Bulletin, December 4, 2017
- Co-author, "Four Things You Need to Know About the CFIUS Reform Legislation," Stroock Special Bulletin, November 8, 2017
- Co-author, "Some Secret and Not-So-Secret Findings in the CFIUS Annual Report," Stroock Special Bulletin, September 29, 2017
- Co-author, "New Reporting Requirements For Foreign Travel and Foreign Contacts by Government Contractors," Stroock Special Bulletin, July 17, 2017
- Co-author, "Second Helpings: New Legislation Would Give Agriculture and HHS Secretaries Seats at the CFIUS Table," Stroock Special Bulletin, March 21, 2017
- Co-author, "Food for Thought: SAFE Act Would Add the USDA to CFIUS," Stroock Special Bulletin, August 11, 2016
- Co-author, "China On Top: China Dominates CFIUS Reviews for Third Year in a Row," Stroock Special Bulletin, February 19, 2016
- Co-author, "What Real Estate Cos. Need To Know About CFIUS Reviews," Law360, January 5, 2016
- Co-author, "CFIUS and The Waldorf Astoria," Stroock Special Bulletin, December 21, 2015
- Contributor, "Report of the Task Force on Foreign Investment Review," American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, September 28, 2015
- Co-author, "CFIUS post-Ralls: Ramifications for Sovereign Wealth Funds," International Review of Law: Special Issue on Sovereign Wealth Funds, March 10, 2015
- "What Attys Need To Know About The Evolving CFIUS Bill," Law360, May 23, 2018
- "3 Takeaways From Trump’s Block Of China Chipmaker Deal," Law360, September 15, 2017
- "U.S. Toughens Stance on Foreign Deals in Blow to China's Buying Spree," Reuters, July 21, 2017
- "Washington Hellbent on Strengthening CFIUS," The Street, June 24, 2017
- "The Lights are on the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, but Nobody is Home," Foreign Policy, June 24, 2017
District of Columbia; New York
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1988; Editor-in-Chief, Virginia Journal of International Law, 1987-88
B.A., cum laude, Williams College, 1979; Phi Beta Kappa
Related Files & Links
In The Spotlight
August 1, 2018|BloombergAnne Salladin quoted in “Congress Toughens Foreign Deal Reviews With China in Crosshairs”
June 13, 2018|Ecns.cnAnne Salladin quoted in “U.S. panel greenlights Genworth acquisition”
June 11, 2018|BloombergAnne Salladin quoted in “Genworth Surges After U.S. Security Approval for China Deal”
May 3, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Ranked in 11 Practice Areas by Chambers USA 2018; 29 Leading Lawyers Recognized
March 16, 2018|CNN MoneyAnne Salladin quoted in “Under Trump, the US government gives many foreign deals a closer look”
February 22, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Recognized by Chambers Global 2018
February 6, 2018|Press ReleaseIra Raphaelson, Former Senior Justice Department Official and General Counsel to Major Corporations, Joins Stroock in Washington, D.C.
November 15, 2017|Financial TimesAnne Salladin quoted in "It is time to update the US’s inward investment review process"
November 14, 2017|Law360Anne Salladin quoted in "5 Ways New CFIUS Legislation Would Alter Review Process"
September 21, 2017|National Law JournalAnne Salladin quoted in "National Security Reviews of Cross-Border Deals Get Slower, Tougher"
September 15, 2017|Law360Anne Salladin quoted in "3 Takeaways From Trump’s Block Of China Chipmaker Deal"
September 13, 2017|Financial TimesAnne Salladin quoted in "Trump blocks US chipmaker’s sale to China-backed buyer"
July 21, 2017| Reuters and The New York TimesAnne Salladin quoted in "U.S. Toughens Stance on Foreign Deals in Blow to China's Buying Spree"
July 13, 2017| National Real Estate InvestorChris Griner and Anne Salladin quoted in "Why Lawmakers Are Seeking Greater Transparency on Foreign Landlords"
June 20, 2017| Global Banking & Finance ReviewRobert Abrams, Chris Griner, Jeff Keitelman, Ross Moskowitz and Anne Salladin featured in "Stroock Hosts Forum on Foreign Investment and National Security Under Trump"
June 16, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Hosts Forum on Foreign Investment and National Security Under Trump
June 1, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Earns Top Tier Rank in 11 Practices by Chambers USA 2017: 30 Leading Attorneys Recognized
May 18, 2017| American BankerAnne Salladin quoted in "Does MoneyGram sale to Chinese firm pose cyber, AML risks?"
January 30, 2017| TheStreet.comAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Obama’s Plan to Block Chinese Rule in Chipmaking Could Aid Trump"
January 18, 2017| MarketWatchAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Obama leaves Trump with need for a hard line on China and chips"
January 17, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Advises KUKA AG Before CFIUS Related to $5 Billion Acquisition by Chinese Investor
December 19, 2016| San Diego ReaderAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Is Chinese hotel a good fit for Trump’s Pentagon West?"
December 16, 2016| The Wall Street JournalAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Aramco Deals Face Uncertainty Under Trump Administration"
July 6, 2016| Asian Venture Capital JournalAnne W. Salladin quoted in "American dreams: China targets U.S. semiconductor assets"
June 15, 2016| SeeNewsAnne W. Salladin quoted in "ChemChina seeks to buy more time for US review of Syngenta takeover"
June 14, 2016| BloombergAnne W. Salladin quoted in "ChemChina Said to Add Time for U.S. Syngenta Deal Review"
June 6, 2016| Business InsiderAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Chinese M&A surge seen ebbing as U.S. campaign heats up"
March 30, 2016| CNBCAnne W. Salladin provides commentary to “How the US reviews China deals for national security”
March 21, 2016| China DailyAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Marriott unlikely to top Anbang offer for Starwood: Observers"
March 18, 2016| Los Angeles TimesAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Chinese investments in U.S. hotel companies spur national security scrutiny"
March 17, 2016| Law360Anne W. Salladin quoted in "China's Private Players Help Fuel Record US Investment"
March 14, 2016| BloombergAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Starwood Hotels Gets Unsolicited $13 Billion Takeover Approach"
February 28, 2016| Business InsiderAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Only one person can stop China from buying up big, American companies"
February 25, 2016| ReutersAnne W. Salladin mentioned in "The Washington insiders who work to get Chinese deals approved"
February 18, 2016| Law360Anne W. Salladin quoted in "China's U.S. Deal Surge Spells Busy Year Ahead For CFIUS"
February 17, 2016| BloombergAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Congress Is Wary of Chinese Deal for Chicago Stock Exchange"
February 16, 2016| The DealChris Griner and Anne W. Salladin quoted in "Fairchild sides with ON Semiconductor, citing regulatory concerns"
February 3, 2016| Financial TimesAnne Salladin quoted in "ChemChina plays down alarm over $44bn Syngenta bid"
February 2, 2016| BloombergAnne W. Salladin quoted in "U.S. Security Concerns Could Stand in the Way of ChemChina’s Syngenta Bid"
November 10, 2015| Law360Anne W. Salladin quoted in "5 Tips For Ensuring A Smooth CFIUS Review"
July 15, 2015| The Washington PostAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Why America's biggest chip maker probably won’t be sold to the Chinese government"
July 15, 2015| ReutersAnne W. Salladin quoted in "McCain raises concerns about possible China bid for Micron Tech"
July 14, 2015| The DealAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Tsinghua's bid for Micron would get a long U.S. review"
May 4, 2015| The DealAnne W. Salladin quoted in "GlobalFoundries deal likely to face CFIUS constraints"
March 2, 2015| Law360CFIUS Special Counsels quoted in "Chinese Buyers Appear Undaunted As CFIUS Toughens Up"
March 2, 2015| South China Morning PostChinese tech firms more confident in facing U.S. national security review
December 15, 2014|South China Morning PostChris Griner and Anne Salladin quoted in "Chinese investors ignore the CFIUS review at their own peril"
November 8, 2014| Bloomberg BusinessweekAnne W. Salladin quoted in "Waldorf Sale to Chinese Risks Review Over Spying Concerns"
October 14, 2014Stroock Forum Highlights Surge In Chinese Investment
October 23, 2013Former Treasury Department Senior Counsel Anne Salladin Joins Stroock & Stroock & Lavan
July 26, 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin“CFIUS Reform Flies, But With Clipped Wings”June 19, 2018|Stroock Special Bulletin“CFIUS Reform Easily Passes Senate”December 4, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin“The Elephant in the Room”November 8, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin“Four Things You Need to Know About the CFIUS Reform Legislation”September 29, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin"Some Secret and Not-So-Secret Findings in the CFIUS Annual Report"July 17, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin"New Reporting Requirements For Foreign Travel and Foreign Contacts by Government Contractors"March 21, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin"Second Helpings: New Legislation Would Give Agriculture and HHS Secretaries Seats at the CFIUS Table"August 22, 2016|Law360"Food for Thought: SAFE Act Would Add the USDA to CFIUS"August 11, 2016|Stroock Special Bulletin"Food for Thought: SAFE Act Would Add the USDA to CFIUS"February 19, 2016|Stroock Special BulletinChina On Top: China Dominates CFIUS Reviews for Third Year in a RowJanuary 5, 2016|Law360"What Real Estate Cos. Need To Know About CFIUS Reviews"12/21/2015|Stroock Special Bulletin"CFIUS and The Waldorf Astoria"March 10, 2015|International Review of Law: Special Issue on Sovereign Wealth Funds"CFIUS post-Ralls: Ramifications for sovereign wealth funds"March 5, 2015|Stroock Special Bulletin"More CFIUS Cases are Going to Full Investigation"January 26, 2015|Stroock Special Bulletin"2014 Regulatory and Compliance Ups and Downs - Developments of Interest to Foreign Investors and Others in the National Security Sector"December 18, 2014|Stroock Special BulletinNew Rule Requires Reporting Foreign Investment in U.S. Businesses and Real Estate: Reporting Deadline for 2014 is January 12, 2015April 3, 2014|Bankruptcy, Aerospace & Defense and Government Contracts Law360"Bankruptcy Issues The Defense Industry Should Think About"January 9, 2014|Stroock Special Bulletin