Alan Klinger, Stroock’s Co-Managing Partner and Co-Chair of the Litigation Group, represents parties in complex civil litigation and has a proven track record of achieving successful results, whether through negotiation or litigation. He also leads the firm’s representation of public sector unions and employee benefits funds and is a member of our Government Relations Group.
Alan provides outside counsel to, among others, the United Federation of Teachers, Uniformed Sanitationmen’s Association and New York City Employees Union Local 237 Funds. He also regularly represents the New York City Municipal Labor Committee, a consortium of the City’s municipal unions, in major litigation and amici curiae filings. Alan also acts as pro bono counsel to the Association of State Supreme Court Justices. His government relations work involves representing clients in administrative proceedings, health care and land use.
Alan has been nationally ranked in The Legal 500. Benchmark Litigation has named him a “Litigation Star” in 2019 and in past years. Long recognized by Best Lawyers for his work in multiple areas of litigation, including labor & employment, ERISA and land use & zoning, Alan has also been ranked in Super Lawyers. He is a frequent lecturer and co-author on issues relating to labor law and collective bargaining, along with attorney-client privilege/work product doctrine. He has also served as an adjunct professor of civil procedure.
Alan is the recipient of the Anti-Defamation League’s Edward Brodsky Founder’s Award for the New York Region as well as having received the Lawyers Alliance for New York’s “Cornerstone Award” for outstanding pro bono legal service for his work on behalf of children.
- On behalf of public employee unions, successfully arbitrated contract impasse proceedings before the New York State Public Employment Relations Board and the New York City Office of Collective Bargaining; prevailed against the City in “scoping” and contract enforcement proceedings; obtained a judgment against the City and related governmental entities to enforce statutorily mandated inspection and repair of public premises; successfully brought suit against retirement systems and governmental entities accomplishing change in the method for computation of retirement benefits; and submitted amicus briefs on behalf of labor unions in issues of national public import.
- On behalf of an educational institution, prevailed in litigation that allowed the school to take down buildings to construct a new law center in the face of challenges to government approval.
- On behalf of a hospital, enabled it to form a professional affiliation with a major hospital by defeating challenge of a rival hospital. As counsel to the hospital, successfully defended award of government contract to it.
- Anti-Defamation League, Edward Brodsky Founder’s Award for the New York Region
- Lawyers Alliance, New York’s Cornerstone Award for outstanding pro bono legal service for work on behalf of Partnership with Children, Inc.
- The Legal 500, Nationally Recommended
- Benchmark Litigation, Litigation Star
- Best Lawyers, Labor & Employment, ERISA and Land Use & Zoning
- Super Lawyers, Labor and Employment law
- Member, Board of Trustees, New York University School of Law Foundation
- Trustee, Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, a non-partisan, non-profit organization created by President Kennedy that seeks to secure, through the rule of law, equal justice under law
- Member, New York University School of Law Center for Labor and Employment Law Advisory Board
- Co-Chair of New York/New Jersey Lawyers Division, Anti-Defamation League
- Member, National Commission, Anti-Defamation League
- Trustee, Partnership with Children, Inc., a not-for-profit entity that assists in strengthening the emotional, social and cognitive skills of at-risk children
- Member, United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism Board of Directors
- Executive Committee, Lawyers Division, UJA Federation of New York
- Member, Board, New York University School of Law Alumni Association
- Former Chairman, Board of Trustees, New York State Higher Education Services Corp., an agency that assists students in paying for college, providing need-based grants, scholarships and loan guarantees
- Co-author, “Public Sector Pensions Under Attack,” New York Law Journal, November 7, 2016
- Co-author, “Practice Before the Commercial Division,” Commercial Litigation in New York State Courts, Thomson West, Third Edition, September 2013
- Co-author, “The Role Of Strategic Thinking In Legal Training,” New York Law Journal, April 22, 2013
- Co-author, “Employee-Friendly Labor Arbitration Awards Under Attack”; “Transit Workers Union Victorious: Regains Dues-Checkoff and Vindicates Free Speech Rights”; “Appellate Division, First Department: NYC Has No Automatic Right to Appeal from a TRO,” Stroock Special Bulletin, May 2009
- Co-author, “The Taylor Law At 40: Preparing For The Battle Over Reform”; “Garcetti v. Ceballos Two Years Later: How Are Public Employees Faring?” and “Trading First Amendment Rights For Dues Checkoff,” Stroock Special Bulletin, May 2008
- Co-author, “The United States Supreme Court Limits Public Employees’ First Amendment Speech Rights,” Stroock Special Bulletin, August 2006
- Co-author, “Recent Developments in Attorney-Client Privilege and Work Product Doctrine,” Civil Practice and Litigation Techniques in Federal and State Courts, ALI-ABA
- Co-editor, Stroock Reports: Public Employee Law, analyzing developments on issues of critical importance to public sector unions
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Western District of New York; U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Clerk, Justice Sidney Schreiber, New Jersey Supreme Court
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1981; Editor-in-Chief, Moot Court Board, 1980–1981
A.B., magna cum laude, Princeton University, 1978
In The Spotlight
December 7, 2018|New York Law JournalStroock Team Featured in “Committee Approves Pay Raise for State Lawmakers, Limit on Outside Income”
December 7, 2018|New York Daily NewsAlan Klinger Featured in “Panel Approves First State Legislative Pay Raises in 20 Years, but Ties Them to Reforms”
December 6, 2018Alan Klinger Appointed As Counsel To The New York Compensation Committee 2018
October 31, 2018Stroock Receives Leadership Council on Legal Diversity’s Compass Award
October 10, 2018|Press ReleaseBenchmark Litigation Recognizes Stroock Lawyers and Litigation Department in its 2019 Guide
August 3, 2018|New York Law JournalAlan Klinger and Kayley McGrath mentioned, and Beth Norton quoted in “Judge Preserves Discrimination Claims by Disabled Students Against Success Academy”
August 2, 2018|Press ReleaseNew York Lawyers for the Public Interest, Stroock and Advocates For Justice Win Decision in Case Against Success Academy Charter School for Discriminating Against Children With Disabilities
June 29, 2018|City & StateAlan Klinger quoted in “Cuomo’s anti-Janus labor law may divide workers, critics contend”
June 28, 2018|Law360Alan Klinger quoted in Law360 on U.S. Supreme Court Decision on Fair Share Fees
June 22, 2018|Press ReleaseAlan Klinger Honored by the Anti-Defamation League with the 2018 Edward Brodsky Founder's Award for New York Region
June 1, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Adds Leading Insurance Lawyer Huhnsik Chung as Partner in New York
June 1, 2018|Law360Huhnsik Chung featured, and Alan Klinger quoted, in “Stroock Picks Up Baker McKenzie Insurance Practice Head”
June 1, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Receives Honors in 16 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2018:
38 Stroock Lawyers Recognized
January 9, 2018|ABA JournalShira Scheindlin and Alan Klinger quoted; Robert Abrams, Joel Cohen, Howard Lavin, Michele Pahmer and Elizabeth DiMichele mentioned in "Stroock announces internal investigation unit focusing on sexual misconduct allegations"
January 8, 2018|Law360Shira Scheindlin and Alan Klinger quoted; Robert Abrams, Joel Cohen, Howard Lavin, Michele Pahmer and Elizabeth DiMichele mentioned in "Ex-Judge, AG Head Stroock’s New Harassment Probe Team"
January 8, 2018|Press ReleaseStroock Forms Internal Investigations Unit to Help Companies and Organizations Respond to Suspected Sexual Misconduct
October 11, 2017|New York Law JournalAlan Klinger quoted in "Highest NY Court Hears Arguments in Reduction in Judges' Health Benefits"
October 5, 2017|Press ReleaseBenchmark Litigation Recognizes Stroock Lawyers and Litigation Department in its 2018 Guide
August 15, 2017|Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
June 2, 2017|Press ReleaseStroock Receives High Honors in 13 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2017: 37 Stroock Attorneys Recognized
November 7, 2016|Press ReleaseStroock Recommended Nationwide, in New York and California by Benchmark Litigation 2017 Guide
September 20, 2016|Press ReleaseStroock Announces Selection of New Co-Managing Partner
August 15, 2016 |Press Release47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2017
November 20, 2015| The New York TimesStroock Featured in The New York Times "Best Lawyers" 2016 New York City Supplement
October 27, 2015Stroock Hosts Forum on the Future of Organized Labor in New York
October 19, 2015Stroock Recommended Nationwide, in New York and California by Benchmark Litigation 2016 Guide
August 17, 201545 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2016
August 18, 201435 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers for 2015
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and Washington, DC announced that 35 attorneys across 25 practice areas have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2015 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® ("Best Lawyers®").
Click here to read the full press release.
November 6, 2013Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers for 2014
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and Washington, DC announced that nearly 30 attorneys across 24 practice areas have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® ("Best Lawyers®").
November 9, 201231 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers for 2013
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles and Miami, announced that 31 attorneys across 22 practice areas have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® ("Best Lawyers®").
June 7, 2012Stroock Welcomes Consul General of Israel Ido Aharoni
September 8, 201118 Stroock Attorneys Named to 2012 Edition of Best Lawyers
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles and Miami, announced that 18 attorneys across 18 practice areas have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2012 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® ("Best Lawyers®").
August 5, 201017 Stroock Attorneys Named to 2011 Edition of Best Lawyers
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles and Miami, announced that 17 attorneys across 12 practice areas have been selected by their peers for inclusion in the 2011 edition of Best Lawyers®.
July 22, 2008Jerry H. Goldfeder Joins Stroock’s Litigation and Government Relations Practice
April 3, 2008Capital Markets Crisis Group Expansion
December 14, 2007Lawyers Alliance for New York Honors Alan M. Klinger with a Cornerstone Award for Pro Bono Excellence
January 23, 2007Stroock Elects Alan Klinger Co-Managing Partner