Andrew DeNatale has over 35 years of experience in restructuring and insolvency matters. He has served as counsel to a wide range of clients, including secured and unsecured creditors, official and ad hoc committees of creditors, and debtors. He advises on a variety of matters, including major Chapter 11 proceedings, multinational bankruptcy cases and the structure and restructuring of corporate and financial transactions to eliminate or reduce insolvency-related or lender liability risks.
In March 2009, Mr. DeNatale rejoined Stroock’s Financial Restructuring Practice Group as Partner and Head of the Special Situations Lending Group. Mr. DeNatale was the former Co-Head of White & Case’s Financial Restructuring & Insolvency Group.
- Creditors’ committees in a number of large bankruptcy cases throughout the United States, including Reliance Group Holdings, Fairfield Communities, Southmark Corporation and The Charter Company.
- Agent and/or lender groups in cases such as YRC Worldwide, Trenwick Group, Superior National Insurance, Barzel Industries, Tinnerman Palnut Engineered Products Inc., First Magnus Corporation and Fleming Companies, Inc.
- Major creditor interests in cases such as SemGroup L.P., Delta, Northwest, United Airlines, US Air, Enron and PG&E.
- The representation of Financial Guaranty Insurance Company in its restructuring efforts.
As noted by Chambers, Mr. DeNatale is "a smart and knowledgeable consensus builder" who "quickly recognizes the issues and goals of his clients and works hard to achieve them."
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Business Bankruptcy Committee
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, INSOL International
- Former Chair, Technical Research Committee
- Panelist, "Same Box, Different Recipe: What Might we Learn from Current Bankruptcy Practice?" IAIR 2016 Insurance Insolvency Workshop, Amelia Island, FL, February 24-26, 2016
- Co-Chair, "Nuts and Bolts of Corporate Bankruptcy," Practising Law Institute, 2010-present
- Speaker, "Bankruptcy & Reorganizations 2013: Current Developments," Practising Law Institute, New York, NY, April 29, 2013
- Speaker, "The Other Insolvency Regime – Bankruptcy and Chapter 15," The International Association of Insurance Receivers, Technical Development Series III, Las Vegas, NV, June 23, 2012
- Speaker, "Insolvency – The Lender Perspective," Risk Management Association, New York, NY, June 19, 2012
- Speaker, "International Issues Arising out of the Subprime Crisis – Bankruptcy and Insurance," The Global Subprime Crisis: Issues You Need to Know Conference, Practising Law Institute, New York, NY, July 7, 2008
- Speaker, "How to Manage and Coordinate Cross-Border Insolvencies," Advanced Insolvency Law and Practice Conference, C5-EuroLegal, London, United Kingdom, October 25, 2005
- Speaker, Les Echos Insolvency Conference, Paris, France, March 9, 2005
- Co-author, "Lender Liability," Collier Bankruptcy Practice Guide, Matthew Bender, 1989, updated 2016
- Co-author, “A Guide to the Bankruptcy Law of the United States,” Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, 2010, updated 2016, updated 2018
- Co-author, "Bankruptcy Issues The Defense Industry Should Think About," Bankruptcy, Aerospace & Defense and Government Contracts Law360, April 3, 2014
- Co-author, "Resolution of Troubled Insurers: Protecting Policyholders in the 21st Century," The Insurance Receiver, Fall/Winter 2013, Vol. 22, Number 3, Page 23
- Co-author, "Minimum Jurisdictional Threshold for U.S. Bankruptcy Courts in Cross-border Insolvency Cases," INSOL World, Second Quarter 2013
- Co-author, "Shipping Companies Find a Safe Harbor in U.S. Bankruptcy Courts," New York Law Journal, March 4, 2013
- Co-author, "Cross Border Insolvencies under U.S. Law – a Further Update," Butterworths Journal of International Banking & Financial Law, September, October and November 2012
- Co-author, "Examiners in Bankruptcy Cases," The Review of Bankruptcy and Financial Services, August 2012
- Co-author, "Does the Presence of Guarantees Justify Separate Classification of a Lender's Deficiency Claim in a Chapter 11 Case," Platt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, July/August 2012
- Co-author, "Stern v. Marshall – Supreme Court Limits the Power of Bankruptcy Courts to Enter Final Judgment on a Debtor's Common Law Counterclaims," Stroock Special Bulletin, July 11, 2012
- Co-author, "International Issues Arising Out of the Subprime Crisis – Bankruptcy and Insurance," The Global Subprime Crisis: Issues You Need to Know, Practising Law Institute, 2008
- Editor and contributor, "Treatment of Secured Claims in Insolvency and Pre-Insolvency Proceedings," INSOL International, 2007
- Co-author, "Cross-Border Insolvencies Under United States Law – An Update," Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, October, November and December 2005
- Co-editor, "International Insolvency," Juris Publishing, Inc., 2003-2005
- Co-author, "The Doctrine of Equitable Subordination As Applied to Nonmanagement Creditors," The Business Lawyer, 1985 quoted by the United States Supreme Court in U.S. v. Nolan, 1966 WL 241657, U.S. May 13, 1996
- "The Creditors' Committee Under the Bankruptcy Code – A Primer," American Bankruptcy Law Journal, 1981
New York, 1976
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1976; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1977; U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York, 1982; U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1978; U.S. Supreme Court, 1979
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1975
B.S., The Wharton School, The University of Pennsylvania, 1972
In The Spotlight
September 2018A Guide to the Bankruptcy Law of the United StatesApril 3, 2014|Bankruptcy, Aerospace & Defense and Government Contracts Law360"Bankruptcy Issues The Defense Industry Should Think About"Fall/Winter 2013, Vol. 22, No. 3|The Insurance Receiver"Resolution of Troubled Insurers: Protecting Policyholders in the 21st Century"Second Quarter 2013|INSOL World“Minimum Jurisdictional Threshold for U.S. Bankruptcy Courts in Cross-border Insolvency Cases”March 4, 2013|New York Law Journal“Shipping Companies Find a Safe Harbor in U.S. Bankruptcy Courts”August 2012, Vol. 28, No. 8|The Review of Banking & Financial Services"Examiners in Bankruptcy Cases"July/August 2012|Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law"Does the Presence of Guarantees Justify Separate Classification of a Lender’s Deficiency Claim in a Chapter 11 Case?"May 16, 2012|Stroock Special Bulletin"Does the Presence of Guarantees Justify Separate Classification of a Lender’s Deficiency Claim in a Chapter 11 Case?"July 11, 2011|Stroock Special Bulletin"Stern v. Marshall – Supreme Court Limits the Power of Bankruptcy Courts to Enter Final Judgment on a Debtor’s Common Law Counterclaims"
Back To Full Bio
December 17, 2018PLI’s Nuts and Bolts of Corporate Bankruptcy 2018
December 18-19, 2017PLI's Nuts and Bolts of Corporate Bankruptcy 2017
December 19-20, 2016PLI's Nuts and Bolts of Corporate Bankruptcy 2016
February 24-26, 2016IAIR 2016 Insurance Insolvency Workshop
December 14-15, 2015PLI's Nuts and Bolts of Corporate Bankruptcy 2015
December 8-9, 2014PLI: Nuts and Bolts of Corporate Bankruptcy 2014
March 27, 2014The Defense Industry in a Time of Change
November 5-6, 2012 (San Francisco) and December 10-11, 2012 (New York)PLI: Nuts and Bolts of Corporate Bankruptcy Conference 2012
June 22-23, 2012IAIR's Technical Development Series III
June 19, 2012Insolvency - The Lender's Perspective
November 17-18, 2011 (San Francisco) and December 12-13, 2011 (New York)PLI’s Nuts and Bolts of Corporate Bankruptcy 2011