Heather Pergola, Human Resources Generalist
Stroock, a major Wall Street law firm, has an opening for a Payroll Specialist in its Human Resources Payroll department. Reporting to the Payroll Manager and the Director of Human Resources, the Payroll Specialist will be responsible for the day-to-day payroll functions, up to and including, accurately processing the firm payroll for legal and non-legal staff using Ultimate Software (Ultipro). The ideal candidate will have the critical technical and functional skills needed to exceed in the role. The Payroll Specialist will provide payroll expertise and guidance to all employees in accordance with firm policies and procedures.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Accurately produce semi-monthly payroll using Ultimate Software (Ultipro).
- Maintain employee payroll files; process regular, overtime and bonus pay; review and audit overtime slips for pay purposes.
- Design, write, and prepare reports as needed using Ultipro Business Intelligence and Excel.
- Prepare employment verification letters.
- Ensure the processing of new hires, temporary workers, transfers, promotions, and terminations are accurate and timely.
- Verify the accuracy of the payroll when it comes back from Ultipro by comparing Payroll Register to source documentation.
- Submit accurate reports to Accounting for cost recovery input.
- Correctly reconcile items on bank reconciliation as provided by Accounting.
- Verify tax deductions by cross referencing Payroll Registers to Ultipro Business Intelligence Reports.
- Produce W-2s and 1095-c forms for all employees.
- Assist employees with payroll related questions and issues.
- Provide support to the Human Resources department as needed, and collaborate with finance team regularly.
Other qualifications and skills:
- Minimum of five years hands-on experience processing payroll using a computerized payroll system, preferably UltiPro.
- Bachelor Degree required; FPC or CPP certification a plus.
- Law firm experience a plus.
- Willingness to work overtime, as needed.
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, Excel and familiarity with report writing features.
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on processing experience with multistate payroll (DC, LA, MI, NY); ability to answer employee questions regarding computation of regular and overtime pay, deductions, taxes and other general payroll procedures.
- Knowledgeable in federal and state compensation laws and regulations – FLSA, FICA, FUTA, ACA, etc.
- Willingness to be hands-on, with a focus on client services.
- Flexible with natural leadership skills with the mindset of a high performer willing to learn and grow.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position within time constraints and with interruptions.
- Ability to think through large projects and difficult scenarios to perform analysis and arrive at recommendations and conclusions.
- Ability to partner with individuals at all levels across the firm.
- Excellent problem solving and decisions making skills that include identification and resolutions of problems in a timely manner through skillful gathering and analyzing information.
- Excellent oral communication skills with the proven ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive manner; ability to present data and information in a clear, concise manner.
- Strong written communication skills; clear and concise written work product is necessary .
- Focus on quality management while identifying ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Stay abreast of position technical requirements, industry standards and best practices through professional development.
- Approach all projects with drive and energy with a keen eye to the end goal; posses the drive to finish everything started.
- Strong initiative and organizational skills.
The above is only a current general description of the essential duties and responsibilities associated with this position and does not represent an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities. The firm may change any job description, in whole or in part, at any time, including adding, removing or otherwise alerting any job duty or responsibility, in its sole discretion. Nothing herein creates a contract of employment or otherwise changes the at-will nature of employment at Stroock.