- Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures
- Real Estate
- Real Estate: Commercial Leasing
- Real Estate: Commercial Lending
- Real Estate: Cooperatives and Condominiums
- Real Estate: Development
- Real Estate: Land Use and Governmental Approvals
- Real Estate: Litigation
- Real Estate: Investment Management
- Representative Matters
- Honors & Awards
Marc Hurel has 30 years of experience as a commercial real estate lawyer. His practice includes all areas of real estate, including sales and acquisitions, leasing, development, financing and joint ventures, involving major transactions in New York and elsewhere in the country.
Mr. Hurel recently represented Verizon in the sale-leaseback of its 1,400,000 square foot Basking Ridge, NJ operations center, the largest sale-leaseback ever completed in suburban New Jersey.
In the leasing area, Mr. Hurel represents both landlords and tenants in major lease transactions. He has recently completed leases covering nearly 2 million square feet of space at 11 Madison Avenue in Manhattan, representing the building owner as landlord in negotiations with Credit Suisse, Sony, Yelp and William Morris Endeavor.
Mr. Hurel has represented The New York Times Company in many real estate matters, including the development, financing and leasing of their 1.7 million square foot headquarters building in Manhattan and numerous leasing transactions (both tenant and landlord roles) for its real estate portfolio, including news bureau offices, sales offices, call-in centers and warehouse and distribution facilities throughout the country.
He has also played a major role in the representation of The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey on numerous matters relating to the redevelopment of the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan, including leasing at 1 World Trade Center and 4 World Trade Center and the negotiation of the site-wide property management agreement for the World Trade Center campus.
REPRESENTATIVE MATTERSMr. Hurel has represented a major real estate investment adviser in numerous joint ventures for the development of office buildings, shopping centers, multi-family residential and industrial warehouse projects nationally, including the following:
- A 49-story 389-unit apartment and retail tower in downtown Chicago
- Regional shopping centers in suburban Tampa and Chicago
- A 350,000 square foot office building in Houston
- Representation of The New York Times Company in $250,000,000 sale/leaseback of headquarters at 620 Eighth Avenue
- Representation of Verizon in portfolio sales as well as commercial condominium formation and development agreements for disposition of space at their New York City corporate headquarters building and various other properties
- Representation of Pfizer, Inc. in sale of 685 Third Avenue
- Representation of the Algonquin Hotel, New York, NY in the sale of an air-space parcel and transferable development rights
- Representation of the Port Authority in negotiation of anchor leases at 1 World Trade Center totaling approximately 1.5 million square feet of space with Conde Nast, the U.S. General Services Administration and Vantone/China Center
- Representation of Apple as tenant in major retail lease in New York City
- Representation of Practising Law Institute, Piper Jaffray, Adobe, Cisco, Scientific Games, Leucadia and various other companies as tenants in significant office leasing matters in New York City
HONORS & AWARDS
Mr. Hurel has been nationally recommended by The Legal 500 United States.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
Connecticut; New York
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1984
B.A., magna cum laude, Tufts University, 1981
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Real Estate Forum and GlobeSt Honor Five Separate Stroock Transactions Nationally for Best Deals of 2016
April 20, 2017|Press Release
Stroock Partner Marc Hurel Selected as a "Power Lawyer" by Commercial Observer
April 20, 2016 |Press Release
Jeffrey R. Keitelman Talks to Bisnow About His Move to Stroock
July 10, 2015|As mentioned in: Bisnow
Real Estate Partners quoted in "The Lawyers at the Forefront of Stroock's Real Estate Explosion"
June 24, 2015|As mentioned in: The Commercial Observer
Real Estate team highlighted in "Stroock Lures 8 From DLA Piper For Real Estate Practice"
June 4, 2015|As mentioned in: Law360
Stroock Continues National Expansion with Addition of Eight Real Estate Attorneys in Washington, DC and New York
Firm Adds 23 Attorneys in the Last Six Months Across All OfficesMay 26, 2015