- Honors & Awards
- Speeches & Events
Hans H. Hertell is an associate in the media and entertainment and litigation practice groups. Mr. Hertell skillfully navigates clients in the media and entertainment industries through complex, high-stakes disputes. He achieves optimal solutions for his clients—whether in court or out of court—on contract claims, non-compete cases, business torts, First Amendment, intellectual property, and related matters. Mr. Hertell recently helped obtain a complete defense verdict of zero damages in a copyright damages jury trial in Acosta v. SBS and Mega Media, 15-civ-21837 (S.D. Fla. Oct. 25, 2016), and a complete defense judgment in a copyright infringement bench trial in LAMCO and ACEMLA v. SBS, 13-cv-1526 (S.D.N.Y., May 22, 2017). Mr. Hertell maintains an active litigation practice in a variety of commercial disputes, including in the technology and financial sectors.
Mr. Hertell's entertainment and litigation practice builds upon a wealth of experience as an international lawyer with a focus on Latin America. He has successfully handled an array of complex, high-stakes disputes before leading international arbitration centers, governed by U.S. or foreign laws. Mr. Hertell has also conducted arbitration proceedings exclusively in Spanish, which he leverages on behalf of his Latin American entertainment and media clients based in Miami, Los Angeles, New York and other leading cities for Spanish-language music, film and the arts. Mr. Hertell is fluent in French as well.
Mr. Hertell is actively involved in pro bono activities. He regularly advises Friends of The Underline, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to the transformational project known as The Underline, which seeks to develop the underutilized land underneath Miami’s Metrorail into a world-class trail, recreational space, and living art destination.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Recipient, Who's Who Legal Arbitration: Future Leaders - Non-partners
- Member, Finance & Governance Committee, The Underline, Inc.
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Executive Board, International Law Section
- Chair, International Resources and Environmental Law Committee
- Member, International Law Section, The Florida Bar
- Member, International Dispute Resolution Committee, The District of Columbia Bar
SPEECHES & EVENTS
- Panelist, "Hot Topics in International Arbitration," The Florida Bar International Law Section ILAT Conference, Miami, FL, February 2016
- Co-author, "The Turtles Finally Get Royalties, But Will It Hasten Their Extinction?" Daily Business Journal, June 20, 2017
- Co-author, "Applicable Law to the Contract, Arbitration Agreement and Arbitration Procedure," International Law Quarterly, Florida Bar - International Law Section, Fall 2015, Vol. XXXII, No. 4
- Note, "Arctic Melt: The Tipping Point for an Arctic Treaty," 21 Geo. Intl. Envtl. L. Rev. 565 (2009)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
District of Columbia, 2010; Florida, 2009
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2014; U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2014; U.S. District Court, District of Puerto Rico, 2010
Law Clerk, Judge Juan M. Pérez-Giménez, U.S. District Court, District of Puerto Rico, 2009-2010
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2009; Executive Editor, Georgetown International Environmental Law Review
B.A., magna cum laude, Georgetown University, 2005
NEWSBack To Full Bio
James G. Sammataro and Hans H. Hertell mentioned in "SBS Victorious In Salsa Copyright Case"
April 19, 2017|As mentioned in: Radio & Television Business Report
James G. Sammataro and Hans H. Hertell mentioned in “SBS Wins Another Copyright Suit”
April 19, 2017|As mentioned in: Radio Ink
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"The Turtles Finally Get Royalties, But Will It Hasten Their Extinction?"
June 20, 2017|Daily Business Journal