- Representative Matters
- Honors & Awards
- Speeches & Events
Chris Griner is a recognized leader in the field of national security and played a key role in the development of the Foreign Ownership, Control or Influence ("FOCI") mitigation arrangements used by the U.S. government today. He represents foreign and domestic clients regarding international transactions involving the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States ("CFIUS") and other national security approval issues. He has experience representing clients before the intelligence community and the Departments of Defense, Energy and State in relation to industrial security and export compliance regulations, as well as in Exon-Florio reviews before CFIUS.
Mr. Griner also counsels clients on proposed acquisitions and mitigation arrangements for foreign-owned defense and national security contractors. He has represented numerous foreign and domestic companies in corporate reorganizations, acquisitions and joint ventures that impact national security or that otherwise involve sensitive technologies or classified activities.
Mr. Griner is the Managing Partner of Stroock's Washington, DC office. Prior to joining Stroock, Mr. Griner had served as Managing Partner, Executive Committee Member and Chair of the National Security practice at a major international law firm. He also served as an attorney advisor in the Office of the General Counsel of the Department of Defense and is a Lieutenant Colonel, USAF, Retired.
Mr. Griner has been recognized for his contributions to the field of national security and the development of the FOCI mitigation arrangements. He is often cited in prominent publications including The Financial Times, The Washington Post, The Daily Deal, China Legal Review and American Law Daily.
- Exon-Florio reviews before CFIUS on hundreds of transactions ranging in value from less than $1 million to $38 billion.
- FOCI mitigation arrangements in compliance with national industrial security regulations.
- Export control compliance matters before the Department of State and the Department of Commerce.
- Representation of a major Italian industrial group operating globally in aerospace, defense and security sectors; advice and counsel concerning U.S. national security regulatory approvals for acquisitions.
- Representation of the world’s largest supplier of commercial airplane assemblies and components; advice and counsel on national security issues related to $1.65 billion initial public offering and subsequent transactions.
- Representation of major British defense company in numerous acquisitions of U.S. national security contractors, including a $1.8 billion acquisition.
- Representation of one of the world's leading aerospace and defense electronics companies; advice and counsel in national security issues related to strategic Foreign Direct Investment ("FDI") acquisitions in the United States.
- Representation of major Italian industrial group in the $5.2 billion acquisition of a major U.S. defense contractor.
- Representation of a major U.K. electronics firm in its acquisition of several U.S. defense businesses.
HONORS & AWARDSMr. Griner has long been named a leading lawyer by both Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business and Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, for his "depth of experience and great range of knowledge." Chambers USA names Mr. Griner as a "CFIUS expert" and quotes his clients as saying he is "the guru in this area of law." He has also been named a "Star of the Bar" by Washingtonian magazine and a top rated lawyer by Super Lawyers for his work in national security.
- Director, Task Force on Foreign Investment, Trade Policy and Sectoral Review, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association
- Member, The District of Columbia Bar Association
- Director, World Affairs Counsel
SPEECHES & EVENTS
- Participant, Ambassador's Investment Forum on Infrastructure, U.S. Embassy, Beijing, China, May 19, 2014
- Speaker, "CFIUS and U.S. National Security: What You Need to Know About Investment in the United States," American Chamber of Commerce, Hong Kong, April 24, 2014
- Speaker, "Legal and Regulatory Issues that Make the Defense Sector Unique," The Defense Industry in a Time of Change, New York City Bar Association, March 27, 2014
- Speaker, National Defense University Symposium, Washington, DC, December 17, 2013
- Panelist, Emerging Energy Industry Developments, New York, NY, October 7, 2013
- Panelist, DC Legal Market Briefing, Washington, DC, October 2, 2013
- Speaker, Atlantic Council's Corporate Strategy Forum, Washington, DC, November 15, 2012
- Co-chair, ACI's Industrial & National Security Compliance Summit, Arlington, VA, November 14-15, 2012
- Speaker, USA Defence & Security Investment Briefing, London, England, May 12, 2012
- Speaker, USA Defence & Security Acquisition Briefing, London, England, March 13, 2012
- Speaker, "Foreign Ownership, Control or Influence and Government Contractor Security Clearance," Webinar, September 14, 2011
- Co-chair, National Summit on Industrial Security Compliance, Washington, DC, July 11-12, 2011
- Speaker, "Acquisition of Defence & Security Companies in the USA: How the Deal Gets Done," AeroSpace Defence Security Conference, London, England, December 9, 2010
- Speaker, "Foreign Ownership, Control or Influence and Government Contractor Security Clearance: Mitigating FOCI and Meeting Requirements for National Interest Determinations," Webinar, October 26, 2010
- Co-author, "For Companies Operating Under Approved FOCI Mitigation Plans: A Shared Services Plan Checkup Can Avoid Unnecessary Costs," Stroock Special Bulletin, August 5, 2014
- Co-author, "Bankruptcy Issues The Defense Industry Should Think About," Bankruptcy, Aerospace & Defense and Government Contracts Law360, April 3, 2014
- Co-author, "Issues Relevant to the Defense Industry in the Bankruptcy Context," Stroock Special Bulletin, March 26, 2014
- Co-author, "CFIUS Annual Report Highlights Chinese Investment and Signals Tougher Reviews," Stroock Special Bulletin, January 9, 2014
- Co-author, "CFIUS Report Highlights Foreign Investment Trends," International Law Office: Corporate Finance/M&A Legal Newsletter, March 31, 2010
- China Investment Bought into AES," New Century Weekly, March 2010, Vol. 12
- "Classified Contracts/CFIUS/Exon Florio," Best Practices in the Acquisition of a Government Contractor, December 2, 2009
- Co-author, "Mitigating Circumstances," The Deal.com, April 16, 2008
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
District of Columbia, Pennsylvania
J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, Newark, 1973
B.A., Lehigh University, 1971
NEWSBack To Full Bio
South China Morning Post: Chinese investors ignore the CFIUS review at their own peril
December 15, 2014
Stroock Ranked By Chambers USA For 2014
May 27, 2014
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami and Washington, DC, announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business.
For the 2014 edition, 29 Stroock partners and counsel from 12 Stroock practice groups were recognized for excellence by Chambers USA.
Stroock Honored by Chambers Global 2014
March 13, 2014
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan Opens Washington, DC Office
May 29, 2013
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan Opens Washington, DC Office: Experienced Partners in National Security/CFIUS and Investment Management to Lead DC Expansion.
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"New DoD Policy Seeks to Streamline National Interest Determination Process"
February 12, 2015|Stroock Special Bulletin
"2014 Regulatory and Compliance Ups and Downs - Developments of Interest to Foreign Investors and Others in the National Security Sector"
January 26, 2015|Stroock Special Bulletin
New Rule Requires Reporting Foreign Investment in U.S. Businesses and Real Estate: Reporting Deadline for 2014 is January 12, 2015
December 18, 2014|Stroock Special Bulletin
"For Companies Operating Under Approved FOCI Mitigation Plans: A Shared Services Plan Checkup Can Avoid Unnecessary Costs"
August 5, 2014|Stroock Special Bulletin
"Bankruptcy Issues The Defense Industry Should Think About"
April 3, 2014|Bankruptcy, Aerospace & Defense and Government Contracts Law360
"CFIUS Annual Report Highlights Chinese Investment and Signals Tougher Reviews"
January 9, 2014|Stroock Special Bulletin
Stroock POSITIVE ENERGY
November 18, 2013, Issue 1