Our Israel practice exemplifies how we go beyond providing legal counsel to become trusted business advisors for our clients.
Our depth of experience allows us to serve the legal needs of clients based in Israel in support of expanding their business in the U.S., as well U.S.-based clients looking to do business in Israel.
Our abilities go beyond providing legal counsel. Our team includes attorneys fluent in Hebrew with deep ties to the Israeli business and legal community who assist clients in navigating the nuances of Israel’s business culture. For our Israeli clients doing business in the U.S., we help devise a strategy, make introductions to our extensive network of potential business partners, assist in tackling compliance and regulatory hurdles, help arrange on-the-ground meetings and support the execution of finalized transactions.
We have advised on major transactions involving U.S. and Israeli parties. Supported by our full-service capabilities in the United States and our relationships with Israeli firms, we provide comprehensive and sophisticated guidance to achieve all of your business goals.
- We advised an Israeli company traded on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange in establishing a U.S. joint venture with a major U.S. financial institution and U.S. real estate operating company. The newly created $1 billion company, with 24 real estate projects at closing, is continuing to invest in and develop office properties in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. The investment was the first of its kind for the Israeli firm in the U.S.
- We are providing comprehensive guidance to a major Israeli company regarding U.S. national security matters, including CFIUS, security clearances/FOCI mitigation, government contracts and export compliance, and are actively engaged in supporting ongoing negotiations to grow its business in the U.S.
- We represented the Government of Israel concerning the announcement, distribution, processing and negotiation of the worldwide tender for the construction of the Carmel Tunnels in Haifa.
- We advised an Israeli institution in purchasing pari-passu notes from the lead agent and originator of a loan encumbering a development project in Manhattan and negotiating a co-lender agreement and related documentation.
- We represented an Israeli medical equipment startup in its acquisition by a U.S.-based multinational conglomerate in a deal developed over the course of a year.
- We have been representing one of Israel’s leading banks in various complex commercial foreclosures and a multitude of loan transactions over the past two decades. We have also represented the same bank in various litigation matters, including one case involving a dispute with an account holder who sought recovery for several million dollars in alleged unauthorized withdrawals by a business partner, where we obtained a judgment in favor of the bank.
- We have represented Israeli clients in connection with both patent and trademark prosecution in various technology fields and have advised Israeli investors in connection with IP counseling related to patent infringement lawsuits and patent clearance work. We have also represented Israelis managing U.S.-based companies in connection with patent litigation, patent prosecution and trademarks.
CHARITABLE AND CIVIC WORK
From its inception in 1876, Stroock has been a pioneering advocate for Jewish lawyers and civic organizations supporting strong relations between the U.S. and Israel.
Building on a rich history of leadership and engagement in national Jewish affairs, Stroock’s lawyers continue this proud tradition of philanthropy and advocacy, ensuring that the Stroock name remains at the forefront of Jewish charitable and civic endeavors. Here is a sampling of our activities:
- Co-managing partner Alan Klinger is a member of the Anti-Defamation League’s National Commission along with the ADL’s New York — New Jersey Regional Board. Alan is a 2018 recipient of the ADL’s Edward Brodsky Founder’s Award, which recognizes continued service to the ADL and its mission to stop defamation of the Jewish people and secure justice and fair treatment for all.
- Former New York Attorney General Robert Abrams serves on the leadership board of the America-Israel Friendship League, which works to improve the perception of Israel in the United States and promote the countries’ shared commitment to democracy. Bob is also a regular attendee at the residence of Israel’s Consul General in New York for cultural and communal events with Israeli governmental officials and NYC Jewish leaders, and he’s the 2018 recipient of the American Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists’ Pursuit of Justice Award.
- Martin Minkowitz chairs the Insurance & Financial Services Division of the State of Israel Bonds. The organization underwrites securities issued by the State of Israel in the United States and advocates for investment and pride in Israel. He is also a former New York chair of both the American Jewish Congress and the National Conference of Christians and Jews, and he’s received multiple awards from each of these groups.
- Leonard Boxer is the chairman of the Jewish Association for Services for the Aged, an agency that serves the elderly population of New York City. He’s also a recipient of the UJA Federation of New York’s Jack D. Weiler Award in recognition of professional achievements and commitment to philanthropy.
- Our Public Service Project has provided pro bono counsel to the America-Israel Friendship League, the Museum of Jewish Heritage, Talmudic College of Florida, Friends of the Forum, the New York Board of Rabbis, the National Society of Hebrew Day School, and to groups seeking reparations for Holocaust survivors, among many other organizations.
In The Spotlight
Council of Multiple Listing Services Annual Conference
October 16-18, 2019View All events
NewsBack To Service
January 22, 2020 | Tax Notes Today
Kevin Matz’s Heckerling Institute Speech Featured in Tax Notes Today
January 16, 2020 | Compliance Week
Griner and Sullivan Discuss New CFIUS Rules
December 16, 2019
Law360 MVP: Chris Griner
December 3, 2019 | Daily Business Review
Changing Your Residency Can Save Taxes, but It’s Not for Everyone
November 13, 2019 | Law360
Chris Griner Named a Law360 ‘International Trade MVP’
November 11, 2019 | Corporate Counsel
Chris Griner, Tatiana Sullivan Discuss CFIUS Draft Rules in Corporate Counsel
September 30, 2019 | Karma
Kevin Matz Discusses QOZs With Investment Publication Karma
September 17, 2019 | New York Real Estate Journal
Elsa Ben Shimon, Jennifer Recine, Karen Scanna Profiled in 'Women in Real Estate' Feature
May 28, 2019 | Mansion Global
Elsa Ben Shimon Quoted in Mansion Global
May 15, 2019 | Commercial Property Executive
Elsa Ben Shimon Quoted in Commercial Property Executive
February 20, 2019 | Law 360, New York Law Journal
Elsa Ben Shimon Mentioned in Law360, New York Law Journal
February 13, 2019 | Press Release
Stroock Formalizes Israeli Practice with Addition of Partner Elsa Ben Shimon
EventsBack To Service
October 16-18, 2019
Council of Multiple Listing Services Annual Conference
Lawyers In This GroupBack To Service
|Elsa A. Ben Shimon||Partner||
|Ira K. Teicher||Partner||
|Jeffrey M. Mann||Special Counsel||
|Michael S. Emanuel||Partner||
|Ian G. DiBernardo||Partner||
|Robert Abrams||Senior Counsel||
|Christopher J. Doyle||Partner||
|Marvin J. Goldstein||Partner||
|Jeffrey R. Keitelman||Co-Managing Partner||