Chris Guhin provides counsel to various financial institutions, including private equity funds, hedge funds, large investment managers and banks. Chris focuses his practice on complex corporate restructurings, litigation and distressed M&A transactions across a variety of industry sectors.
Chris specializes in developing and executing strategies to maximize clients’ leverage and achieve their goals, as was reflected in his work on the 21st Century Oncology bankruptcy (representing the fulcrum security holders who gained equity ownership of a major integrated cancer care provider after the resolution of various False Claims Act and other liabilities) and the Foresight Energy litigation and consensual out-of-court restructuring (helping develop the litigation strategy used to obtain a Delaware Chancery Court opinion that required the Company to offer to purchase $600 million of unsecured notes at 101% of par).
Chris spent part of 2013 and 2014 seconded to the compliance division of a major investment bank.
Chris’ past and current representations include the following:
- 21st Century Oncology (ad hoc term lender/noteholder group)
- American Renal Associates (ad hoc group of term lenders)
- Animal Supply Company (ad hoc group of second lien lenders)
- Avaya Inc. (ad hoc committee of secured creditors)
- Caesars (ad hoc group of first lien lenders)
- Checkers (ad hoc group of first lien lenders)
- Ferrellgas (ad hoc group of unsecured Opco noteholders)
- Foresight Energy (ad hoc group of bondholders)
- General Motors Corporation (general unsecured creditor)
- Halcón Resources Corporation (ad hoc group of bondholders)
- Harland Clarke (ad hoc group of 2022 noteholders)
- Hovnanian Enterprises, Inc. (term lender and revolving lender)
- Interactive Health Services (ad hoc group of second lien lenders)
- iPayment Holdings, Inc. (special committee of board of directors)
- Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc. (derivatives counterparties)
- Murray Energy (individual bondholder)
- Murray Metallurgical (ad hoc group of term lenders)
- Permian Production Partners (ad hoc group of term lenders)
- Regional Health Properties, Inc. (term lender)
- Ultra Petroleum Corp. (ad hoc group of first lien lenders)
- Vantage Mobility International (administrative agent and term lenders)
- VIP Cinema Seating (second lien lender)
- Preparing submissions to the ISDA Determinations Committee and an external review panel
- Representing investment bank in contractual dispute with former employees of an Australian subsidiary
- Providing regulatory advice with respect to the Volcker Rule and the Dodd-Frank Act
- Representing two investment banks in a contractual dispute with a mutual client who failed to pay fees owed upon consummation of a tender offer
- Co-author, “Foresight Energy Refinancing Results in Big Win for Stroock’s Clients,” Stroock Special Bulletin, May 2, 2017
- Co-author, “‘Arrange, Negotiate or Execute’ – Guidance in SEC Final Rule on De Minimis Exception,” Stroock Special Bulletin, February 24, 2016
- Co-author, “Final Margin Rules for Uncleared Swaps: A Comparison,” Stroock Special Bulletin, January 25, 2016
- Co-author, “New ‘Intel’-igence on ISDA ‘Loss’ Definition,” Stroock Special Bulletin, January 14, 2016
- Co-author, “Recent Developments in the Regulatory Treatment of Bitcoin,” Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, January 2016
- Co-author, “CFTC Cross-Border Margin Proposal,” Stroock Special Bulletin, July 20, 2015
Admitted To Practice
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2008
A.B., Brown University, 2005
In The Spotlight
NewsBack To Full Bio
December 23, 2019 | New York Law Journal
Stroock Promotions Featured in New York Law Journal
December 18, 2019 | Daily Bankruptcy News
Stroock Promotions Featured in Daily Bankruptcy News
December 5, 2019 | Press Release
Stroock Names 12 New Partners and Special Counsel for 2020
January 4, 2019 | Wall Street Journal Bankruptcy Pro
Alon Goldberger and Christopher Guhin Mentioned in the Wall Street Journal Bankruptcy Pro
January 3, 2019 | The Deal
Stroock Promotions Featured in The Deal
December 26, 2018 | ABF Journal
Stroock Mentioned in ABF Journal
December 18, 2018
Stroock Promotes Seven New Partners and Special Counsel for 2019
PublicationsBack To Full Bio
May 2, 2017 | Stroock Special Bulletin
Foresight Energy Refinancing Results in Big Win for Stroock’s Clients
June 6, 2016 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"Cross-Border Application of Margin Requirements for Uncleared Swaps"
February 26, 2016 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"CFTC Proposed Regulation AT"
February 24, 2016 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"'Arrange, Negotiate or Execute' – Guidance in SEC Final Rule on De Minimis Exception"
January 25, 2016 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"Final Margin Rules for Uncleared Swaps: A Comparison"
January 14, 2016 | Stroock Special Bulletin
“New ‘Intel’-igence on ISDA "Loss" Definition”
October 19, 2015 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"Recent Developments in the Regulatory Treatment of Bitcoin"
July 20, 2015 | Stroock Special Bulletin
"CFTC Cross-Border Margin Proposal"
May 13, 2015 | Stroock Special Bulletin
“SEC Cross-Border Security-Based Swap Proposal”
April 2015 Vol. 16 No. 8
"Checkpoint: Update - Implementation Schedule of Margin Requirements for Uncleared Derivatives"
March 30, 2015
"Update: Implementation Schedule of Margin Requirements for Uncleared Derivatives"