Ron Kriss concentrates his practice in commercial real estate law, focusing on loan recovery representation for institutional lenders. His experience includes the foreclosure of office buildings, multifamily projects, hotels, and mixed-use projects, as well as representation of lenders in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
Mr. Kriss also has extensive leasing and financing experience, which includes the representation of clients in the leasing of office, retail, and industrial properties, and the representation of clients in construction and permanent real estate lending, sale leaseback, and private placement financings. He has also represented clients in numerous high profile projects, including the acquisitions and sales of raw land, office buildings, shopping centers, and industrial parks, and the development of condominium projects, residential subdivisions, and condo hotels.
Mr. Kriss is fluent in Hebrew and Spanish.
- Represented the purchaser of Monty’s Raw Bar and Bayshore Landing Marina, an 800-seat restaurant and 150 slip marina in Coconut Grove.
- Represented the purchaser of a 3,300 acre cattle ranch and orange grove in Central Florida.
- Represented the purchaser of defaulted senior and mezzanine loans secured by Trump Hollywood Condominium in Hollywood, Florida and subsequent judicial foreclosure of unsold inventory of condominium units.
- Represented the lender in the foreclosure of Interterra Office Building, a 235,000 square foot office building in downtown Miami, following dismissal of a Chapter 11 case.
- Represented the lender in the foreclosure of the Southeast Financial Center, a 55 story office tower in Miami containing 1.1 million square feet.
- Represented the lender in the foreclosure of a two-phase project in Hollywood, Florida, consisting of unsold inventory of condominium and townhouse units.
- Represented the landlord in the lease of the Carnival Cruise Line headquarters building, a 230,000 square foot office complex in Miami, Florida.
- Represented the landlord in the leasing of Corporate Plaza of Deerwood, a 230,000 square foot office park in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Represented the investment fund in the acquisition and subsequent sale of Alhambra Plaza, a 222,000 square foot office building in Coral Gables, Florida, and The Alhambra West, a 91,000 square foot office building in Coral Gables, Florida, and office leasing in both buildings.
- Represented the investment fund in the acquisition of 16 separate retail and office buildings in Miracle Mile, Coral Gables, Florida.
- Represented the developer in the acquisition and development of Trump International Hotel & Tower in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
- Represented the home builder in the acquisition and financing of Sundance Apartments, a 304-unit multifamily project in Miami, Florida.
- Represented the developer in the development of Brickell View West, an 88-unit condominium in Miami, Florida.
- Represented the client in the development of the Florida Marlins baseball stadium complex on the former Orange Bowl site in Miami, Florida.
- Represented the investment fund in the development of One Seventeen Professional Arts Center, a condominium consisting of two professional buildings in Miami, Florida.
- Represented the purchaser of defaulted promissory note secured by unsold units in Onyx on the Bay Condominium, Miami, Florida, and purchase through 363 bankruptcy sale.
- Represented the purchaser of defaulted promissory note secured by Terra Beachside Villas, Miami Beach, Florida and acquisition of entire project through foreclosure sale.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Listed in Best Lawyers
- Listed in Super Lawyers
- Recognized by Daily Business Review with the “2007 Top Dealmaker of the Year Award – Office,” for representing the developer in Office Depot’s global headquarters build-to-suit transaction
- Ranked Top Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide for Real Estate, 2004-2017
- Recipient, David Ben Gurion Leadership Award, Goldstein Hebrew Academy
- Recipient, Amud Hachesed Award, Young Israel of Kendall
- President, Jewish National Fund – South Florida Region
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Member, The Florida Bar
- Member, American College of Investment Counsel
- Co-author, “Sources of Title,” Florida Real Property Title Examination and Insurance, The Florida Bar, Third Edition, 1996; Fourth Edition, 1999; Fifth Edition, 2006, Sixth Edition, 2010; Seventh Edition, 2012; Eighth Edition, 2016; and Ninth Edition, 2018
Admitted To Practice
- New York
- S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida
J.D. cum laude, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 1971
B.S. cum laude, The Wharton School, The University of Pennsylvania, 1968