- Representative Matters
Kenneth Stein has broad experience litigating patent, trade secret and copyright cases, including cases involving computer operating systems, hybrid motors, digital devices, video games, PC cards, e-commerce systems, and telephony devices.
Mr. Stein’s practice includes patent validity and infringement opinions, patent prosecution, intellectual property aspects of due diligence, intellectual property licensing and various contract matters. He has handled numerous matters involving complex technologies, including database systems, optical switching and communications systems, cellular communications systems, smart cards, fault tolerant computer systems, local area networks, digital cameras, personal digital assistants, digital watches, e-commerce systems, semiconductor devices, and many other software systems and electronic devices.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Mr. Stein worked eight years at AT&T Bell Laboratories as a software engineer, where he developed operating systems, compilers, and programming tools. He also did research for a year at Stevens Institute of Technology, investigating programming techniques for maximizing the performance of highly parallel supercomputers. Mr. Stein has been listed in New York Super Lawyers since 2011 in the area of intellectual property litigation.
- Tomita Technologies USA LLC, et al. v. Nintendo Co., Ltd., et al., Case No. 1:11-
cv-04256 (S.D.N.Y. March 14, 2013)
- JDS Therapeutics and Nutrition 21 LLC et al. v. Pfizer et al., Case No. 1:12-cv-09002 (S.D.N.Y.
December 11, 2012)
- Board of Directors, Transport Group Theatre Company
- Member, Advisory Board, East Harlem International Film Festival
- Member, Advisory Board, Ruah Dance Company
- Member, Advisory Board, General Mischief Dance Theatre
- "Participation in Standard Setting Organizations in the Wake of the Latest Installment of the Rambus Saga," Bloomberg Corporate Law Journal, Vol. 2, Issue 1, Winter 2007
- "Why Most Document Retention Policies In the Digital Era Are Ineffective," ALM Law Journal Newsletters: The Privacy & Data Protection Legal Reporter, Vol. 1, No. 11, December 2006
- "Internet Privacy Do You Know Who’s Collecting Information About You?" ALM Law Journal Newsletters: The Privacy & Data Protection Legal Reporter, Vol. 1, No. 5, June 2006
- Co-author, "Refined Languages: An Evolutionary Approach to the Use of Sequential Languages for Programming Parallel (MIMD) Machines," Parallel Processing: State of the Art Report, Pergamon Infotech Ltd., 15:4, 1987
- "An Implementation of Refined C," K. Stein (master's thesis), Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, New Jersey, May 1987
- Co-author, "Sequential Languages for Programming Highly-Parallel Computers," presented at the Second SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing, November 21, 1985
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
New York, 1994; New Jersey, 1993
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York; U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey; U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
PATENT ADMISSIONSU.S. Patent and Trademark Office
J.D., cum laude, New York University School of Law, 1993
M.S., Stevens Institute of Technology, 1987; Computer Science
B.A., Wesleyan University, 1982; Physics
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Ian DiBernardo and Kenneth Stein quoted in "Signs of Life for Doctrine of Equivalents in the US"
September 27, 2017|As mentioned in: Managing Intellectual Property
Ian DiBernardo and Kenneth Stein featured in "Law firm petitions SCOTUS to review doctrine of equivalents test"
September 6, 2017|As mentioned in: Intellectual Property Magazine
Kenneth L. Stein featured in "FarStone Urges High Court Review Of Indefiniteness Standard"
November 21, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
Ian G. DiBernardo quoted in "Tomita, Nintendo Lock Horns Anew In 3DS Infringement Fight"
August 4, 2015|As mentioned in: Law360
Four Former Jenner Attorneys Bolster Stroock’s NYC Intellectual Property Practice Group
January 26, 2009