- Honors & Awards
Kevin J. Curnin is a Partner and the Founding Director of Stroock’s Public Service Project. His responsibilities include management of the program, leading cases and advising and assisting associates and partners with their pro bono litigation and transactional work.
Mr. Curnin has handled or supervised a broad range of matters within the Public Service Project, from special education hearings to family and housing court matters, as well as counseling non-profit entities and micro-entrepreneurs. During his tenure, Mr. Curnin and the Public Service Project have won dozens of awards from city, state and national organizations, both public and private, including the American Bar Association and the National Legal Aid & Defender Association.
Prior to his 2001 appointment as the Project’s first Attorney Director, Mr. Curnin spent more than five years handling a wide range of commercial litigation matters for Stroock. His areas of experience include insurance, banking, securities and arbitration.
HONORS & AWARDS
Since 2001, Mr. Curnin and the Public Service Project have received over 60 awards, including the following:
- National Legal Aid & Defender Association Beacon of Justice Award
- American Bar Association National Public Service Award
- Lawyers Alliance of New York Cornerstone Award
- New York Lawyers for the Public Interest Partnering for Justice Award
- Her Justice / InMotion Commitment to Justice Award
- Sanctuary for Families Above & Beyond Achievement Award
- Urban Justice Center Law and Society Award
- Legal Services NYC Pro Bono Service Award
- City Bar Justice Center Jeremy G. Epstein Award for Pro Bono Services
Mr. Curnin has also been recognized by Super Lawyers for his work in general litigation.
- President, Board of Directors, Association of Pro Bono Counsel, Inc.
- Board of Advisors, Feerick Center for Social Justice and Dispute Resolution at Fordham Law School
- Board of Directors, Touch Foundation
- "Trump's Budget Would Silence Legal Services," Law360, April 3, 2017
- "Love and Law in the Age of Trump," Law360, January 30, 2017
- "Law Student Pro Bono Shines A Light on Civil Justice," Law 360, January 20, 2017
- "OPINION: Goodness First, Then Greatness," Law360, November 14, 2016
- "OPINION: Pro Bono This Political Season," Law360, October 13, 2016
- Co-author, "U.S. State Laws Addressing Human Trafficking: Education of and Mandatory Reporting by Health Care Providers and Other Professionals," Journal of Human Trafficking, May 31, 2016
- "APBCo Statement of the Passing of Esther Lardent," Association of Pro Bono Counsel, April 4, 2016
- "Pro Bono: The New Associate’s Compass to Success," Law360, October 27, 2015
- Co-author, "Pope Francis and Pro Bono Publico," Law360, September 30, 2015
- "Up the Irish: St. Paddy’s Is for Celebrating Pro Bono, Too," Law 360, March 16, 2015
- "The Year Ahead in Pro Bono, US and Abroad," Law360, January 8, 2015
- "What Happens When Legal Aid Cuts Stimulate Pro Bono?" Law360, December 17, 2014
- "Remembering Doar: Justice as a 4-Letter Word," Law360, November 25, 2014
- "Pete Seeger and Social Justice," New York State Pro Bono Association Pro Bono News, Spring 2014, Vol. 24, No. 2
- Co-author, "As Exonerations Grow, States Make Them Harder to Win," Law360, February 12, 2014
- Co-author, "Any Pro Bono Brawl Should be for More Access to Justice," Law360, January 30, 2014
- Co-author, "The Year Ahead in Pro Bono," Law360, January 2014
- "Can Poverty Scholarship Guide Legal Interventions?" New York State Bar Association Pro Bono News, October 23, 2011
- "Pro Bono at a Crossroads," New York Law Journal, October 29, 2009
- Co-author, "End Game: Tips on Planning Successful Joint Projects Between Law Firms, Legal Services Providers," Cornerstone, September 2009
- Co-author, "Missed Opportunities: Louisiana's Failure to Spur Economic Redevelopment After Katrina," Journal of Affordable Housing & Community Development Law, Summer 2007, Vol. 16, No. 4
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
New York, 1996
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1996; Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, First Judicial Department, 1996
Clerk, Hon. Loretta A. Preska, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1995; Notes Editor, Urban Law Journal
M.A., with honors, University College Dublin, 1988
B.A., with honors, Dartmouth College, 1986
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Kevin J. Curnin featured in "Kevin Curnin ’86 Wins MLK Social Justice Award"
February 10, 2017|As mentioned in: Dartmouth 86
Kevin J. Curnin mentioned in "Recognition for Lawyers"
February 6, 2017|As mentioned in: New York Law Journal
Kevin J. Curnin quoted in "Trump’s Election Sparks New Interest in Pro Bono"
January 19, 2017|As mentioned in: Corporate Counsel
Kevin J. Curnin wrote Law360 article "Up The Irish: St. Paddy's Is For Celebrating Pro Bono, Too"
March 16, 2015|As published in: Law360
Kevin J. Curnin wrote "What Happens When Legal Aid Cuts Stimulate Pro Bono?"
December 17, 2014|As published in: Law360
Kevin J. Curnin writes "Remembering Doar: Justice As A 4-Letter Word"
November 25, 2014|As mentioned in: Law360
ABA Section of Business Law Selects Stroock for 2009 National Public Service Award
April 16, 2009
The American Bar Association's Section of Business Law presnted Stroock with its 2009 National Public Service Award on April 17, 2009. The Award recognizes significant pro bono legal services that demonstrate a commitment to providing services to the poor in a business context, and recognizes the achievements resulting from the public service work for the clients and the client groups represented.
Stroock Receives Whitehall Award for Exceptional Pro Bono Service from Rocking the Boat
October 23, 2008
Stroock Names New Partners and Special Counsel
January 9, 2007
Stroock and pro bono client Second Wind recognized by LA Gov. Blanco for their assistance in the creation of new $100M Small Business Grant Program.
December 7, 2006
Kevin Curnin, Director of Stroock's Public Service Project, interviewed on Dow Jones Online regarding Hurricane Katrina Anniversary and the founding of Second Wind.
August 30, 2006
"Survival: A Powerful Group of New Yorkers Is Waging War on Neglect from an African Hilltop in Tanzania" Contribute Magazine
April 2, 2006
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"Governor Cuomo Approves Amendments to 2013 New York Non-Profit Revitalization Act to Refine Numerous Provisions, Including Those Relating to Conflicts of Interest, Related-Party Transactions and Board Committee Composition"
February 23, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "Love and Law in the Age of Trump"January 30, 2017|Law360
- "Opinion: Pro Bono This Political Season"October 13, 2016|Law360
- "U.S. State Laws Addressing Human Trafficking: Education of and Mandatory Reporting by Health Care Providers and Other Professionals"May 31, 2016|Taylor & Francis Online
- "Pro Bono: The New Associate’s Compass To Success"October 27, 2015|Law360
- "Pope Francis And Pro Bono Publico"September 30, 2015|Law360
- “The Year Ahead In Pro Bono, US And Abroad”January 8, 2015|Law360
- "What Happens When Legal Aid Cuts Stimulate Pro Bono?"
December 17, 2014|Law360
- "Remembering Doar: Justice As A 4-Letter Word"
November 25, 2014|Law360
- "Pete Seeger and Social Justice"Spring 2014|New York State Bar Association Pro Bono News
- "As Exonerations Grow, States Make Them Harder To Win"February 12, 2014|Law360
- "Any Pro Bono Brawl Should Be For More Access To Justice"January 30, 2014|Law360
- "The Year Ahead In Pro Bono"January 1, 2014|Law360
- "Can Poverty Scholarship Guide Legal Interventions?"Fall 2011|NYSBA Pro Bono News
- "Pro Bono at the Crossroads"October 29, 2009|New York Law Journal
EVENTSBack To Full Bio
Business and Transactional Pro Bono in the Evolving Law Firm Paradigm
May 5, 2010
The 2010 Pro Bono Institute Annual Seminar/Forum on In-House Pro Bono
March 18-19, 2010
The Association of the Bar of the City of New York's Melding Public Interest and Firm Culture: Achieving Success at Your Externship and Back at Your Firm
Thursday, December 17, 2009
American Bar Association's 2009 Equal Justice Conference
Thursday, May 14 - Saturday, May 16, 2009
2009 Pro Bono Institute Seminar and Forum on In-House Corporate Pro Bono
Thursday, March 5 - Saturday, March 7, 2009
Legal Needs in the Wake of Hurricane Katrina: How Law Firms & In-House Counsel Can Help
Monday, February 12, 2007
- "Love and Law in the Age of Trump"