Crystal Jonelis is an associate in the Entertainment Practice Group and focuses her practice on litigation matters. Ms. Jonelis represents individuals and corporations (both as plaintiffs and defendants) in a wide variety of high-profile disputes, and has experience in all aspects of commercial litigation. In particular, Ms. Jonelis has substantial experience litigating disputes relating to film finance deals, contract claims, business torts and First Amendment issues, often relating to California’s anti-SLAPP statute, pursuant to which she helped obtain the dismissal of various multi-million dollar claims and the recovery of substantial attorneys’ fees.
Ms. Jonelis also has substantial appellate experience, has drafted numerous writ petitions and briefs in both the California Courts of Appeal and in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and successfully argued before the Second District Court of Appeal in Fujifilm v. Yang, 223 Cal. App. 4th 326 (2014).
- Super Lawyers, Southern California Up and Coming 100: Rising Star and Up and Coming 50: Women Rising Star
- “Second Down: Ninth Circuit Follows Third Circuit’s Lead in Keller v. Electronic Arts, Inc.,” Stroock Special Bulletin, August 7, 2013
- “Second Circuit Deals Blow to Rights of Broadcasters Under the Copyright Act,” Intellectual Property Technology Law Journal, July 2013
- “Game On! Third Circuit Rules in Hart v. Electronic Arts, Inc.,” Stroock Special Bulletin, May 28, 2013
- “Second Circuit Deals Blow to Rights of Broadcasters Under the Copyright Act,” Stroock Special Bulletin, April 16, 2013
- “Ninth Circuit Rules in UMG Recordings, Inc. v. Shelter Capital Partners LLC,” Stroock Special Bulletin, March 20, 2013
- “Southern District of New York Rules in Viacom v. YouTube,” Stroock Special Bulletin, June 28, 2010
U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 2010; U.S. Court of Appeals Ninth Circuit 2012
J.D., summa cum laude, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 2009; Order of the Coif, Alpha Sigma Nu
B.A., magna cum laude, California State University, Northridge, 2003