- Representative Matters
- Speeches & Events
Cristina Rodriguez has over 10 years of experience in commercial business litigation in federal and state courts with a focus on complex multidistrict and cross-border litigation. She has experience in securities and fiduciary-duty litigation, both class actions and derivative claims. Ms. Rodriguez has also represented officers and directors in adversary proceedings initiated by bankruptcy trustees involving fiduciary duty claims as well as avoidable and fraudulent transfer claims. In addition, she has worked with special litigation committees and has conducted internal investigations.
Ms. Rodriguez has handled closely-held corporation disputes advising shareholders and deadlocked directors under Florida and Delaware law. Moreover, she has advised closely-held companies and partnerships with respect to EPA information requests, international contract disputes, Fair Labor Standards Act violations, and partnership disputes. Ms. Rodriguez has also represented a court-appointed receiver in several matters involving condominium associations.
Additionally, Ms. Rodriguez represents domestic and international public and private companies as well as foreign individuals in contract-related and business-tort disputes, including matters involving parallel proceedings in the United States and abroad, Section 1782 Petitions, discovery of hidden assets, service of process abroad pursuant to the Hague Convention and the Inter-American Letters Rogatory Convention, and numerous other issues. She has extensive experience locating, vetting, and working with counsel in many Latin American countries to address and resolve a variety of issues for clients.
Ms. Rodriguez is fluent in Spanish.
- Representing the executive chairman of an environmental remediation company in a D&O liability adversary proceeding, winning motion to dismiss.
- Representing investment advisors in actions by investors in both the Madoff and the Rothstein Ponzi schemes.
- Representing public company in breach of contract litigation arising from Spin-Off Transaction, including claims for successor liability.
- Representing several life insurance companies in interpleader, breach of contract, and coverage disputes
- Representing high profile directors and officers of a bankrupt body armor company in a U.S. adversary proceeding in coordination with the defense of a Canadian shareholder securities-fraud class action, winning motion to dismiss.
- Representing former officers and directors of debtors in multiple adversary proceedings by trustees in bankruptcy involving (i) dairy products, (ii) offshore gambling cruises and (iii) cruise lines.
- Representing underwriters in a securities class action arising out of a U.S. $50 million IPO for a social-networking company before the federal district court and appellate court, approving dismissal with prejudice.
- Representing the outside directors of a bankrupt outsourcing public company on breach of fiduciary duty claims under Maryland law by the liquidating trustee, winning motion to dismiss.
- Representing public property-casualty insurance company and officers and directors against securities-fraud class action and related derivative suit.
- Representing numerous public companies and officers or directors in class actions for securities fraud in (i) initial public offerings, (ii) secondary public offerings, (iii) public disclosure filings and (iv) alleged insider trading.
- Advising the special litigation committee of the board of a medical products company investigating a shareholder demand arising out of a steep decline in stock price.
- Representing accounting firm in breach of contract dispute related to the performance of look back services under “know your client” regulations, successfully defeating forum non conveniens motion.
- Representing state-chartered bank against class-action claims involving the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Electronic Funds Transfer Act.
- Representing Receiver in several matters related to residential condominium associations in Miami-Dade County, Florida.
- Representing closely-held company and related entities and individuals in violation of Fair Labor Standards Act proceedings.
- Representing officer and 50% shareholder in closely-held corporate control dispute in company involved in commercial real estate.
- Representing a variety of closely-held corporations in response to third-party discovery requests and post-judgment supplementary proceedings.
- Representing closely-held bio-fuel company with response to EPA information request.
- Representing national bank with modification, termination, and transfer of several trusts across the country, working with local counsel in numerous jurisdictions, including New York, New Jersey, Texas, Florida, California, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.
- Representing members of Argentine and Bolivian family, and estate, in cross-border litigation over frozen bank accounts in Florida and Cayman Islands.
- Representing Argentine heir against other heir and controlled U.S. companies regarding real estate and intangible assets of father’s Argentine estate hidden under Netherland Antilles and Panamanian bearer share companies.
- Representing Venezuelan individual against claims of breach of contract and fraud related to business dealings in Venezuela.
- Advising Latin American bank with respect to use of Section 1782 proceedings to locate diverted assets.
- Representing Panamanian bank in breach of contract dispute.
- Representing pro bono several criminal defendants through Southern District of Florida CJA program in cases involving (i) Medicare fraud; (ii) drug trafficking; (iii) alien smuggling; and (iv) firearms distribution violations.
- Member, Business Law Division, The Florida Bar
- Member, Business Law and Women in the Profession Committees, American Bar Association
- Member, Securities Law Section, Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter
- Member, Florida Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, Bankruptcy Bar Association, Southern District of Florida
- Member, Florida Justice Teaching Initiative
SPEECHES & EVENTS
- Panelist, "Don’t Delete! eDiscovery and Your Client," HNBA 2016 Corporate Counsel Conference, Las Vegas, NV, March 16-19, 2016
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 2003; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 2003; U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2005; U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida, 2012; U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida, 2012; U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Florida, 2012; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 2014
J.D., with honors, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 2002
B.A., University of Florida, 1998