May 5, 2021
Stroock, an AmLaw firm with nearly 300 attorneys nationwide, has an opening for a Marketing Communications Manager.
The Marketing Communications Manager will oversee firm communications for various vehicles, both print and digital, and will supervise the awards submission program, including vendor management. The role will manage collateral creation, digital media and client-facing communications, and will partner with business development managers on strategy. The MCM collaborates with, and supports, the Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer and the Business Development Director, in crafting and executing communication strategies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as first-line guardian of firm brand and voice in external communications on social media, web site and other collateral. Collaborate with CMBDO on strategic and creative alteration.
- Oversee firm collateral in the form of practice descriptions, case studies, brochures, and attorney and alumni profiles. Create a content calendar to ensure consistent review and updates to existing collateral.
- Conceptualize and draft original content from both a strategic perspective and on an as-needed basis. Provide strategic input on types of content, tone/voice and delivery vehicles/outlets.
- Manage relationships with outside vendors for various collateral, including brochures. Ensure deliverables meet desired standards and deadlines. Provide strategic direction to ensure efficient project completion. Manage review process with attorneys or other stakeholders.
- Own the collateral library and ensure that marketing team is aware of available materials. Collaborate with business development team to ensure that deal lists and experience databases are coordinated and current.
- Manage the client alert process, including substantive review and proofreading. Liaise with attorneys during draft and review process and collaborate with BD and martech team members on distribution.
Media Relations/Digital Media
- Responsible for firm’s social media accounts, and management of related vendors. Oversee content calendar, generate campaigns, and measure efficacy to establish which activities garner highest ROI.
- Provide reports on social media statistics to inform strategy.
- In conjunction with BD team and others in the department, provide trainings to attorneys on ways to leverage digital media for marketing and business development.
- Serve as primary liaison to, and oversight for, outside media relations firms. Direct on prioritization and placement preferences. Provide direction on key firm initiatives and priorities. Review and manage time investments.
- In collaboration with marketing technology manager, oversee web site from content perspective. Ensure consistent updating via calendar management and collaborate on enhancements.
- Collaborate with business development team to conceptualize, script and “publish” podcasts and other media projects for client-facing use.
Surveys and Awards Submissions
- Create and monitor calendar for awards and rankings. Ensure adequate lead time for attorney involvement and collaboration with BD team.
- Manage service providers, including PR firms, in crafting submission strategy, ensuring key rankings are prioritized and keeping to deadline schedules.
- Edit submissions completed by vendors and write nominations for certain submissions. Ensure pristine deliverables are presented on time.
- Draft blurbs, synopses, Q&As, announcements, invitations and other material for internal audiences as needed and in collaboration with CMBDO and Events Specialist.
- Collaborate with other marketing team members on intranet enhancements to home page and department section. Liaise with IT on occasional back-end updates.
- Assisting with marketing and firmwide special projects as required.
Skill and Work Experience Requirements:
This position requires exceptional written and oral communication skills. We seek an adept editor and agile writer, who can craft copy in various voices and styles tailored to a range of outlets and audiences. The successful candidate will have a strong news sense and familiarity with the qualities that make content newsworthy and attractive to clients and reporters. As the first-line on PR and media relations, the marketing communications manager must be comfortable dealing with senior management, the media and outside service providers. An ability to excel in a fast-paced, but team-oriented environment is desired. The ability to handle competing priorities with aplomb and to deftly prioritize sometimes shifting projects will be necessary. Given the nature of the role, the position requires the maturity and professionalism to handle confidential information, interact with individuals at all levels of the organization and exercise superb judgment in sensitive situations.
Collaboration, direct communication and esprit de corps are prized values within the marketing group. We seek a team player with the ability both to strategize and execute. Desired qualifications for the role include five or more years of experience in a communications role, the ability to produce concise, clean copy on deadline, strong critical thinking skills, a solutions-orientated attitude, a sense of ownership about one’s work and a BA in journalism or a writing-intensive discipline such as history or English. A background in reporting would be helpful but is not required as is experience in a law firm or academic media relations environment.
The above is only a current general description of the essential duties and responsibilities associated with this position and does not represent an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities. The firm may change any job description, in whole or in part, at any time, including adding, removing or otherwise altering any job duty or responsibility, in its sole discretion. Nothing herein creates a contract of employment or otherwise changes the at-will nature of employment at Stroock.