Senior Human Resources Manager
Stroock, a major Wall Street law firm, has an immediate opening for a Benefits Manager in it’s Human Resources department. The Benefits Manager is responsible for communicating information about the firm’s group benefit plans, assisting all covered individuals (including COBRA participants and retirees) with insurance procedures, claim processing problems, and maintaining accurate benefit records for all personnel. The Benefits Manager serves as the principle contact with the firm’s benefit programs including medical, dental, vision, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Mass Transit/Commuter Parking, short-term and long-term disability, basic and supplemental life insurance, long-term care, flexible spending accounts (HCSA/DCSA), back-up child care and workers’ compensation as well as be the day-to-day point of contact with the firm’s insurance carriers and brokers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer health and welfare benefit programs in all firm offices. Review and process enrollments, eligibility files, changes in status including eligibility, addresses, dependents and beneficiaries, and terminations. Work with Payroll to recoup or refund premiums, if applicable. Provide benefit deduction and enrollment guidance to the HR Coordinator in the LA Office.
- Work closely with Payroll on various Payroll and HR functions such as W-2’s and administration of various state, federal and firm programs (e.g. NYS Paid Family Leave, telecommuting research).
- Educate and assist firm personnel and Partners in all offices in understanding and using their group benefit plans by explaining the plan features, answering questions, and providing guidance on coverage questions on a daily basis.
- Assist individuals who have claim problems by answering their questions, contacting the insurance vendor representative and/or insurance broker, explaining courses of action, and keeping detailed records of communications/transactions. Work with brokers for assistance with claims appeals.
- Review and update plan documents, benefit summaries, benefit packets, Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC), firm handbooks and various documents to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Research and recommend new benefit options to ensure that the firm remains competitive in its benefits offerings and to manage benefit costs.
- Manage entire firm Leave of Absence (LOA) program for the NY, Miami and DC offices. LOA’s include NYS disability, FMLA, NYS PFL, firm PL and workers’ compensation leaves. Explain leave policies and procedures, maintain accurate benefit files and work with Payroll, HR team and vendors for adjustments to pay rates, benefit/leave balance and accrual. Ensure that all LOA’s are being administered according to state, local and federal laws and in accordance with the firm’s LOA policies.
- Utilize the firm’s HRIS system to run reports, automate various HR functions and processes. Act as a lead in conjunction with the HR manager on the firm’s HRIS capabilities.
- Manage the firm’s annual Open Enrollment (OE) period. Includes reviewing utilization data, participating in planning/utilization meetings, creating the electronic OE, working with ERISA counsel and Finance on benefit packet language, setting up and participating in vendor meetings, following-up with employees regarding their elections and ensuring that all changes are processed correctly by auditing elections with the HR Manager.
- Work as a back-up to the HR Manager to administer the firm’s 401(k) plan. Includes processing of distribution forms, rollovers, processing employee deferral changes, employee education and working with ERISA counsel.
- Manage HR-related content on the firm’s intranet and employee self-service page.
- Oversee the COBRA benefit program to ensure that all payments are processed on a timely basis and that all communications to COBRA participants including COBRA packets and COBRA ending letters are sent out on a timely basis. Work with the Finance Department/Administrative Manager on updating reports related to COBRA and retiree and charges to Partner Year-End Statements.
- Increase employee awareness of benefit programs by coordinating various programs throughout the year such as: EAP seminars, AED/CPR/FA training, blood drives, flu shots, health fairs and other educational programs offered by firm’s benefit vendors.
- Review Form 5500 for firm’s health and welfare benefits and coordinate between brokers and ERISA counsel to finalize, approve and file documents on a timely basis.
- Work in conjunction with other Professional departments and offices to host firm-wide initiatives throughout the year, as part of the firm’s strategic goals. Includes planning, ordering, working with food vendors, coordinating announcements with Marketing.
- Attend various seminars and webinars to remain knowledgeable on various HR and Benefits laws and regulations. Remain up to date on recent HR and Benefit related law changes.
- Work with the Director of HR and HR Manager on annual law firm compensation / salary surveys and other benefits-related surveys.
- Assist with and manage other Human Resources functions and projects as needed.
- Willingness to be hands-on, very customer service orientated.
- Flexible with natural leadership skills.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position within time constraints and with interruptions.
- Ability to partner with individuals at all levels across the Firm.
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills that include identification and resolutions of problems in a timely manner through skillful gathering and analyzing information.
- Proven ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive manner; demonstrated group presentation skills.
- Focus on quality management. Identify ways to improve and promote quality. Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Stay abreast of position requirements, industry standards and best practices through professional development.
- Act in accordance with the Firm’s policies and procedures.
- Strong Initiative and Organizational Skills, including:
- Know the business and the mission critical technical and functional skills needed to exceed in the role. Inspire others to seek your expertise, and accept all feedback gracefully. Be a high performer willing to learn and grow. Approach all projects with drive and energy and with an key eye to the end goal. Possess the drive to finish everything started.
Work Experience Requirements:
- 6 years benefits administration experience and either a four year undergraduate degree or a minimum of ten years’ experience as a benefits representative.
- Must have an in-depth knowledge of and hands-on administration experience with group medical/dental/vision/EAP, FSA, life, short and long-term disability and workers’ compensation insurance plans and procedures.
- Must also be knowledgeable in federal and state employment laws and regulations including FMLA, ADA, HIPAA as well as general employment law procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and speaking skills; be organized and detail oriented; be able to juggle several tasks simultaneously; and work effectively under pressure.
- Strong team-player with a positive attitude and the ability to maintain confidential information, exercise good judgment, make decisions, and enforce firm policies and procedures. The position also requires dedication and commitment and the ability to work extra hours as needed.