February 17, 2021
Stroock, an AmLaw firm with more than 250 attorneys nationwide, has an immediate opening for an Assistant Director of Legal Personnel & Law School Recruiting. The ideal candidate will be responsible for playing a key role in the recruiting and personnel functions for summer associates and entry-level associates. In addition, there will be significant opportunities to collaborate with the Diversity and Professional Development team. The individual will have substantial interaction with the NY Hiring Partner, L.A. Recruiting Committee and other key firm leadership members.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and execute the hiring function for law student recruiting including the on campus interview process, resume selection, scheduling of in-office interviews, conducting interviews with candidates and making hiring recommendations. Orchestrate follow-up strategy for candidates, including offer dinners/events and individualized directed follow-up as needed.
- Select and prepare on campus interviewers and meet with them post interviews to discuss their callback recommendations. Manage the number of callback invitations extended.
- Oversee candidate information input into viRecruit and Flo Recruit and maintain fall recruiting statistics.
- Oversee the administration of the summer associate program including mentor assignments, training, event planning, managing the calendar and overseeing the assignment coordinators. Collaborate with the professional development team on training for the summer program.
- Oversee the orientation program for summer associates and first year associates.
- Conduct orientation for lateral attorneys with respect to legal personnel policy and procedures.
- Meet weekly with summer associates to monitor their experience at the firm and conduct mid-summer and end-of-summer reviews in conjunction with the NY Hiring Partner. Prepare summaries for the reviewers.
- Discuss incoming staffing needs with administrative partners with respect to the summer associates, review evaluations and make hiring recommendations.
- Work in conjunction with the senior manager of Professional Development on the planning and execution of the Attorney Enrichment Program (“AEP”), which includes organizing the kick-off event and working with an outside consultant on their presentation materials, interviewing first year associates, pairing of mentors to mentees, coordination with administrative partners and appropriate follow-up with mentors/mentees during the year.
- Work closely with the director of Legal Personnel on policies and procedures relating to associates and special counsel including updates to firm policy handbooks and recommendations to the Executive Committee on standard industry practices and benefits.
- Assist with the associate and special counsel compensation review process. Monitor industry data and review internal hours reports as needed.
- Oversee the departure process for associates and conduct exit interviews. Compile data and make recommendations to improve retention within firm/or specific department.
- Work with the H.R./Benefits team on the tracking of leaves of absence for associates and special counsel. Provide information to administrative partners as to our leave policies and procedures.
- Work on joint personnel projects with the H.R. team.
- Oversee surveys and data collection which have recruiting/headcount components. Coordinate with various departments (e.g., Accounting, Marketing) for data. Distribute surveys to associates and encourage participation.
- Establish and maintain relationships with attorneys, administrative departments, and placement school offices.
- Mentor and supervise department coordinators and assistant.
- Attend industry conferences and maintain visibility within your cohort.
The responsibilities of this position require a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years’ experience in a similar role in a law firm or client services environment. Candidate should have strong interpersonal and communication skills (writing and speaking), strong organizational skills and the ability to work well under pressure, juggle multiple projects simultaneously and be a team player. In addition, candidate requires strong administrative, supervisory and computer skills.
- Willingness to be hands-on, very client service orientated.
- Flexible with natural leadership skills.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position within time constraints and with interruptions.
- Ability to think through large projects and difficult scenarios to perform analysis and arrive at thoughtful recommendations.
- Ability to partner with individuals at all levels across the firm.
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills that include identification and resolution of problems in a timely manner through skillful information gathering and analysis.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.