American Conference Institute's 3rd Bank & Non-Bank Forum on Mortgage Servicing Compliance
Washington Marriott Wardman Park
Stroock Special Counsel Benjamin Diehl will be speaking at the American Conference Institute's 3rd Bank & Non-Bank Forum on Mortgage Servicing Compliance in Washington, DC. The event will take place November 20-21, 2014.
Mr. Diehl will participate in the panel discussion "Mortgage Servicers and the FDCPA: CFPB Potential Rulemaking and Involvement in Debt Collection, When a Servicer is Considered a Debt-Collector for FDCPA Purposes, and the Latest on Enforcement of Security Interests and Common FDCPA Claims Against Servicers" on the second day of the conference at 9:15am. Topics will include:
- Understanding whether you are exempt as a "loan servicer" from the FDCPA, or whether you qualify as a "debt collector" under the statute and are thus subject to its requirements
- Was the particular mortgage in "default" at the time when taken for servicing?
- CFPB involvement
- FCPA v. HUD Regulations
- Enforcement of security interests
- If you do qualify as a debt collector, what requirements are you subject to?
- How to avoid violations under the FDCPA when servicing mortgage loans
- Examining potential inconsistencies between federal and state laws relating to mortgage servicers and debt collectors, and navigating the interplay between both