Stroock attorneys have broad environmental law experience, with an emphasis on complex litigation, project development and transactional and business counseling. Their in-depth knowledge of governmental processes and experience with regulators have earned Stroock's Environmental attorneys respect with all levels of government.
Our attorneys have extensive experience in those areas typically important to the development of industrial, commercial and residential projects. We represent clients in litigation and transactional matters involving the development of industrial properties, including large and small power plants, quarries and mines, as well as industrial development agencies and public entities. Our attorneys have notable expertise in federal, state and city environmental impact review and permitting processes, including compliance with the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) and the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). With an important understanding of community dynamics and emerging issues, such as climate change and environmental justice, we utilize innovative and creative ways to achieve results. Several of Stroock's Environmental lawyers have experience in science, engineering and urban planning, enhancing the understanding of Environmental Law.
We help clients assess and manage environmental risks associated with mergers, acquisitions, and other business and real estate transactions by conducting environmental due diligence, preparing and negotiating environmental provisions in transactional documents, and providing related advice to buyers, sellers and lenders. As part of this effort, we also work with the corporate and investment community on issues of sustainability and social responsibility.
Our attorneys have particular expertise with respect to contaminated site remediation and redevelopment under federal and state Superfund and Brownfields legislation. This practice includes the prosecution and defense of environmental cost recovery actions, managing technical consultants in site investigation and remediation, negotiations with regulatory agencies, joint defense efforts among private parties, and related litigation in federal and state courts. Our attorneys’ backgrounds include representation of corporate clients at large National Priorities List sites, including those with contaminated sediment in complex river systems. Through Stroock's representation of a major oil and gas drilling company, our attorneys are in the forefront of emerging environmental issues associated with hydraulic fracturing for extraction of natural gas from shale.
We represent private developers, municipalities and public authorities with regard to Brownfields redevelopment and high performance “green” development, and provide advice on the availability of federal and state government funding, including tax credits under the Brownfields and Green Building Tax Credit Programs. We also have particular expertise concerning oil spills, legislation and regulation, and advise energy clients on the impact of recent efforts of the federal government to increase regulation under the Clean Air Act.
Although litigation is an important part of Stroock’s capability, a substantial concern in our Environmental Practice is the avoidance of litigation for our clients. Stroock proceeds from the premise that the productive participation of the regulated community is crucial to the development of reasonable, lawful regulations that advance the twin goals of environmental protection and economic progress. We also seek to help our clients avoid litigation by advising them on how best to comply with the law, addressing community and government concerns and structuring transactions to limit future risk.
Attorneys in this Group
|Robert Abrams||Partner||New York||
|Ross F. Moskowitz||Partner||New York||
Ross F. Moskowitz
|E. Gail Suchman||Special Counsel||New York||
E. Gail Suchman
Gail Suchman quoted in "US health and science advocates gear up for battle over EPA"
March 25, 2017|As mentioned in: The Lancet
Gail Suchman quoted in "Obama's 11th-Hour Offshore Drilling Ban May Be Hard To Sink"
December 21, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
Gail Suchman quoted in "Despite Progress, Big Obstacles Still Loom For Paris Deal"
October 7, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
Gail Suchman quoted in "EPA To Watch And Learn As Calif. Freight Plan Takes Shape"
May 11, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
E. Gail Suchman quoted in "Changes Afoot In Final Version Of Clean Power Plan"
July 29, 2015|As mentioned in: Law360
Stroock Ranked by Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2013
May 24, 2013
New York, NY, May 24, 2013 -- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles and Miami, announced that it has again been recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business.
For the 2013 edition, 31 Stroock partners and counsel from 12 Stroock practice groups were recognized for excellence by Chambers USA.Click here to read the full press release.
Stroock Is Ranked by the Chambers USA Law Firm Rankings for 2010
June 11, 2010
32 Stroock attorneys and 12 practice areas were recommended by Chambers, including our Capital Markets, Entertainment, Financial Restructuring, Insurance, Investment Management, Litigation, and Real Estate practices.
Read about the firm's rankings in our press release.
Stroock Expands Environmental Practice
April 12, 2007
"Power Up in the Air: The EPA Regulations"
September 2015 |Pratt's Energy Law Report - Vol. 15-8
"A Tale of Two PACEs: Commercial Success vs. Residential Repose"
March 15, 2013|Stroock Special Bulletin
February 14, 2013|Stroock Special Bulletin
“Emerging Insurance Issues in the Debate over ‘Fracking’”
December/January 2013|Insurance Coverage Law Report
"New York City’s Zoning Resolution Becomes Greener"
May 3, 2012|Stroock Special Bulletin
"The First Truly-Merchant Transmission Project in U.S."
November 20, 2009|
- “Update on the US Department of Energy Loan Guarantee Program”October 1, 2009|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “New York State Requires Study of Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Environmental Impact Review”July 28, 2009|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “The American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009: An Overview of its Cap-and-Trade Provisions”May 4, 2009|New York Law Journal
- “EPA’s Proposed Endangerment Finding for Greenhouse Gases”April 22, 2009|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "The American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009: Proposed Federal Cap-and-Trade Program"April 9, 2009|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “New City Procedures Assist Developers, Owners and the Environment”April 2, 2009|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “Anti-Patent Trend May Be Shifting Back Toward Greater Protection”March 18, 2009|New York Law Journal
- “The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009: An Overview of its Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Provisions”February 17, 2009|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “2020 Vision: California Approves Climate Change Scoping Plan”December 16, 2008|Stroock Climate Change Practice Group Special Bulletin
- "The Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008: Investing in the Green Economy Through Renewable Energy Tax Credits, Tax-Exempt Bonds and Green Building Incentives"November 26, 2008|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “Carbon Due Diligence: What Is It And Why Do It?”Volume 3, Issue 3, Summer 2008|Bloomberg Corporate Law Journal
- “A Guide To Greenhouse Gas Regulation - Second Edition”July 2008|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “New York State Brownfields Law Modified by Legislature”July 1, 2008|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “President Bush Signs Broad Energy Bill Intended to Reduce Fossil Fuel Dependence and Address Climate Change”January 2008|Stroock Special Bulletin
- A Guide to Greenhouse Gas Regulation - November/December 2007 UpdateNovember/December 2007|Stroock’s Guide to Greenhouse Gas Regulation
- A Guide to Greenhouse Gas Regulation – October 2007 UpdateOctober 2007|Stroock Client Memo
- "State and Regional Initiatives: Inconsistencies call for Federal Regulation"September 24, 2007|New York Law Journal
- “A Guide to Greenhouse Gas Regulation – September 2007 Update”September 2007|Stroock Client Memo
- “A Guide to Greenhouse Gas Regulation – August 2007 Update”August 2007|Stroock Client Memo
- "Power-Plant-Siting: Efforts to Amend Article X Fail"August 8, 2007|New York Law Journal
- “A Guide to Greenhouse Gas Regulation – July 2007 Update”July 2007|Stroock Publications
- “A Guide To Greenhouse Gas Regulation – June 2007 Update”June 2007|Stroock Publications
- “A Guide to Greenhouse Gas Regulation: May 2007 Update”May 2007|Stroock Client Memo
- "A Guide to Greenhouse Gas Regulation"April 2007|Stroock PublicationsBACK TO PRACTICE
Emerging Energy Industry Developments Conference
October 20, 2015
NYSBA Environmental and Municipal Joint Fall Meeting
October 25-27, 2013
Judicial Review of Federal Compliance Orders After Sackett v. EPA
May 15, 2012
2011 Evolving Energy Industry Directions
September 13, 2011
Energy and the Environment: Preventing and Resolving Conflicts
November 1, 2010
The Lodging Conference 2010
September 23, 2010
Platts 3rd Annual Carbon Trading Conference: Opportunities and Risks in a National Cap-and-Trade System
Thursday, January 21 - Friday, January 22, 2010
The Association of the Bar of the City of New York Continuing Legal Education - Bridge-The-Gap: Ethics & Skills For Newly Admitted Attorneys
Thursday, July 23, 2009
New York State Bar Association's The Redevelopment of Contaminated Property: NYS Browfield Program & Beyond
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Stroock Event - 2009 Power Industry Developments
Friday, May 8, 2009
The Bronx Chamber of Commerce's The Women of Distinction Luncheon: Women Taking the Lead to Save the Planet
Friday, March 27, 2009
Green East Expo and Conference - Sustainable Solutions For Business, Home, and Community
Thursday, March 26 - Saturday, March 28, 2009
NYU Law Spring 2009 Symposium - A New Era in U.S. Greenhouse Gas Regulation: An Examination of the New President's Proposal for Greenhouse Gas Regulation
Friday, March 13, 2009
Long Island Sound Citizens Summit - Investing in Clean Water: for Sound health, jobs and the economy
Friday, March 6, 2009
Platts 2nd Annual Carbon Trading Conference: Preparing for a National Cap-and-Trade System
Wednesday, January 21 - Thursday, January 22, 2009
The Sub-Zero/Wolf Sustainability Forum
Thursday, October 23, 2008
New York University School of Law's Attorney General Robert Abrams Public Interest Forum: Anne Milgram '96
Monday, September 8, 2008
New York Biotechnology Association's 17th Annual Meeting
Monday, May 19 - Tuesday, May 20, 2008
New York State Bar Association Environmental Law Section Annual Meeting
Friday, February 1, 2008
Emerging Opportunities in Global Carbon Emissions Trading
Thursday, January 24 - Friday, January 25, 2008
Practical Skills-Environmental Law for New Environmental Practitioners and Newly Admitted Attorneys
November 29-30, 2007
Sustainable Real Estate Development in NYC
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
State Attorneys General- Who Are They and What Is Their Agenda?
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
2007 Power Industry Developments
May 11, 2007
- “Update on the US Department of Energy Loan Guarantee Program”