- Real Estate
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures
- Commodities and Derivatives
- Financial Restructuring
- Energy and Project Finance
- Personal Client Services
- Honors & Awards
- Speeches & Events
Mayer Greenberg practices tax law, providing advice to domestic and foreign investors on the tax implications of joint ventures; mergers, reorganizations and restructurings. The tax classification of clients and nature of transaction structures include partnerships, corporations that are members of consolidated and affiliated groups, U.S. and non-U.S. investors, and other entities with “special” tax designations.
Mr. Greenberg has particular experience in transactions involving real estate and energy-related assets. He advises REITs and clients with tax-exempt or other special status regarding the tax consequences of their investment strategies and other activities, often including non-U.S. investors with tax sensitivities in multiple tax jurisdictions. Mr. Greenberg’s clients have included financial institutions, securities underwriters, real estate developers, private equity funds and other clients in the capital markets. Mr. Greenberg also works extensively with our Personal Client Services group and the Litigation group providing tax advice to clients involved in succession planning for, and division of, family owned businesses, primarily in the real estate sector.
HONORS & AWARDS
Mr. Greenberg has been nationally recommended by The Legal 500 United States for his work in tax. He has also been listed as a "New York Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers.
SPEECHES & EVENTS
- Panelist, "Tax-Related Tips for Real Estate LLC and LLP Agreements: Capital Commitments, Tax Allocations and Distributions, and More," Strafford Publications CLE: Real Estate Joint Ventures, March 1, 2017
- Speaker, "Income Tax Aspects of Real Estate Transactions," Real Estate Board of New York Education Classes, 2011, 2012
- Co-author, REITs: Common Pitfalls and Fixes Checklist, Practical Law Company's Online REIT Primer, March 2011 (with updates)
- Co-author, "Workout Tax Issues," Workout Manager's Manual, Warren, Gorham & Lamont
- Contributor, Real Estate Investment Trusts (supplement), Warren, Gorham & Lamont, 1997
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
New York, 1990
J.D., Columbia Law School, 1989
B.S., summa cum laude, Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, 1985
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Mayer Greenberg quoted in "DC Is Talking About Reforming the Tax Code—but What Will It Mean for Real Estate?"
September 21, 2017|As mentioned in: Commercial Observer
Stroock Receives High Honors in 13 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2017: 37 Stroock Attorneys Recognized
June 2, 2017|Press Release
Real Estate Forum and GlobeSt Honor Five Separate Stroock Transactions Nationally for Best Deals of 2016
April 20, 2017|Press Release
Stroock Attorneys and Practices Ranked by The Legal 500 United States 2014
June 25, 2014
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, a national law firm with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami and Washington, DC, announced that it has once again been recognized in The Legal 500 United States with 27 attorney and 8 practice area rankings.
Stroock Attorneys and Practices Recommended by The Legal 500 United States 2013
June 20, 2013
Stroock Represents Veolia Environnement in Sale of North American Waste-to-Energy Business
July 6, 2009
Stroock Represents Regatta USA in Acquisition
August 15, 2007
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"Tax Reform: Now it's the Senate's Turn"
November 10, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “Mind Your Own (Unrelated) Business!!”November 7, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "Overview of the Proposed 'Tax Cuts and Jobs Act' and How it Differs from Current Law"November 6, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "Tax Me Now; Pay Me Later? House Majority Tax Bill Changes to Common Executive Compensation Arrangements and Benefits"November 6, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "Eight Regulations the IRS Says Are “Unduly Complex,” Impose “an Undue Financial Burden on Taxpayers” or Exceed the IRS’s Statutory Authority"August 1, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "New IRS Partnership Regulations Shut Down Bottom Guarantees and Significantly Limit Use of Leveraged Partnerships"November 18, 2016|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "IRS Issues New 'No Rule' Area and Related Proposed Regulations: Potential Implications for Regulated Investment Companies"October 5, 2016|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "REITs Overview"April 2011|Practical Law Company
- "REITs: Common Pitfalls and Fixes Checklist"April 2011|Practical Law Company
- “Housing Act of 2008 Liberalizes REIT Rules”August 2008|Stroock Special Bulletin
- IRS Provides Guidance on Tax Treatment of World Trade Center Grant Program PaymentsApril 25, 2003|Stroock Special Bulletin
- $700 Million Plan Announced for Redevelopment and Revitalization of Lower ManhattanMay 10, 2002|Stroock Special Bulletin
- President Bush Approves Economic Stimulus Package With over $5 Billion to Aid Reconstruction in New York City and Other Significant Business Tax IncentivesMarch 15, 2002|Stroock Special Bulletin
EVENTSBack To Full Bio
Strafford's Real Estate Joint Ventures Seminar
March 1, 2017
Strafford Publications Webinar "REITs: Developments in REIT Conversions, FIRPTA and Other Changes in the Tax Extenders Bill"
March 17, 2016
Clear Law Institute's Webinar "REITs: Critical Tax Considerations"
July 14th, 2015
Stroock Event - 2009 Power Industry Developments
Friday, May 8, 2009
2007 Power Industry Developments
May 11, 2007
- “Mind Your Own (Unrelated) Business!!”