- Representative Matters
- Honors & Awards
Laura Besvinick has more than 30 years of experience litigating complex cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts. Her practice focuses on the representation of insurers in bad faith actions, complex coverage disputes, and consumer class actions. She also advises insurers with respect to claims-handling and bad faith issues, and serves as monitoring counsel, often in connection with professional liability matters. Ms. Besvinick also regularly represents accountants and attorneys in malpractice actions, securities class actions and before the Securities and Exchange Commission. She also represents companies in commercial disputes in arbitration.
REPRESENTATIVE MATTERSMs. Besvinick has been involved in the following matters:
- Obtained defense award in favor of international telecommunications manufacturer where alleged damages exceeded $200 million following multi-week arbitration trial.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in an insurance coverage dispute involving the unauthorized settlement of an environmental mass tort action valued at $200 million. The insurer was held to have no liability for the settlement. Ms. Besvinick also represented the insurer on appeal and obtained an affirmance of the judgment.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of bad faith action against insurer for alleged breach of duty to defend.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of putative class action against insurer for alleged failure to properly pay hurricane claims.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of all claims against a Big Four accounting firm in international audit malpractice action arising from failure of a foreign bank.
- Obtained dismissal of international federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) action against offshore bank and sustained dismissal on appeal.
HONORS & AWARDSMs. Besvinick has been annually recognized by Best Lawyers, as a leading individual in Appellate Law, Commercial Litigation, First Amendment Law, and Professional Malpractice Law since 2007. She has also been listed in Florida Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage since 2006; Super Lawyers: Corporate Counsel, Insurance Coverage, 2009-2010; South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers in South Florida, 2006-2017; The Legal 500 United States for her work in Insurance: advice to insurers, 2013 and in Florida Trend Legal Elite for Insurance, 2014.
- Board of Directors, Miami City Ballet
- Board Member, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida; Supreme Court of Florida; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit; U.S. Supreme Court
J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1983; Phi Beta Kappa; Editor, Harvard Law Review
A.B., cum laude, Harvard-Radcliffe College, 1980
NEWSBack To Full Bio
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
August 15, 2017|Press Release
Laura E. Besvinick quoted and Julie E. Nevins mentioned in "District Court Kept Jurisdiction After Arbitration: 11th Circ."
December 19, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
90 Stroock Attorneys Recognized as 2016 Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”
September 22, 2016|Press Release
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2017
August 15, 2016 |Press Release
Stroock Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and "Rising Stars"
September 16, 2015
45 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2016
August 17, 2015
Stroock Bolsters Litigation Practice Further with Two Partners and Special Counsel in New York and Miami
April 13, 2015
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"What Lawyers Can Learn from Poker Players"
June 2017|The Corporate Counselor
- "The Eleventh Circuit Expands Private Insurers’ Exposure for the Reimbursement of Medicare Payments Under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act"December 7, 2016|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "The Eleventh Circuit Expands Private Insurers’ Exposure for the Reimbursement of Medicare Payments Under the Medicare Secondary Payer Act"