- JUMP TO:
Kevin Matz concentrates on domestic and international estate and tax planning, estate administration and related litigation. Mr. Matz’s practice primarily involves advising high net worth individuals with respect to wealth transfer planning; will and trust drafting; gift, estate, income and generation-skipping transfer tax planning and tax return preparation; charitable gift planning; probate proceedings and estate administration; and associated litigation as well as corporate counseling.
Mr. Matz has also advised clients on entity and succession planning, including the use of family limited partnerships, the use of grantor retained annuity trusts, transfers to irrevocable trusts involving complex valuation issues, qualified personal residence trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, and the use of charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts and private foundations to further both family planning and philanthropic objectives.
Mr. Matz is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel ("ACTEC"), and has written and spoken extensively about the use of family limited partnerships and various other leveraged transfer techniques, as well as on estate planning strategies for groups ranging from private equity fund managers to professional athletes. He has been frequently cited in the professional literature, including at the Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning, for his innovative solutions and analysis.
Mr. Matz is also a certified public accountant.
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and Member of its International Estate Planning Committee and its Business Planning Committee
- Co-Chair of Tax Committee of Trusts and Estates Section of NY State Bar Association, 2017-2019
- Chair of NYSSCPA Estate Planning Conference, 2012-present
- Chair of NYSSCPA Estate Planning Committee, 2013-2015, 2017-present
- Chair of NYSSCPA Entertainment, Arts and Sports Committee, 2011-2013
- Chair of NYSSCPA/FAE Curriculum Committee, 2016-2017
- Vice-Chair of UJA Federation of New York Trusts and Estates Lawyers Group, 2015 – 2017
- Co-Chair of UJA Federation of New York Trusts and Estates Lawyers Group Annual Event, 2015
- Director, NYSSCPA Board of Directors, 2013-2017
- Trustee, NYSSCPA/FAE Board of Trustees, 2015-2017
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA)
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
PUBLICATIONSMr. Matz has authored a number of articles on estate and tax planning and estate administration. In addition, Mr. Matz is the co-author of two estate planning treatises, Manning on Estate Planning (Practicing Law Institute 2014), and Estate Planning for Professionals – Understanding What is Needed for Estates of Any Size (Cannon Financial Institute 2009).
Select publications include:
- “The Obama Administration’s Fiscal Year 2014 Tax Proposals That Pertain to Estate Planning,” Tax Stringer, May 2013
- “A View from the Audience at Heckerling (2013),” WealthManagement.com, February 15, 2013
- “So What Does It Mean To Have a ‘Permanent’ Estate and Gift Tax System Anyway? -in 2013 and Beyond,” Tax Stringer, February 2013
- “Estate Planning Opportunities During 2012 Before the Clock Strikes 2013 – Use It or Lose It?” Tax Stringer, May 2012
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
New York, 1994; New Jersey, 1993
LL.M., New York University School of Law, 1996; Taxation
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 1993
B.S., City University of New York, 1986
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Stroock Partner Kevin Matz Appointed President-Elect, Foundation for Accounting Education’s Board of Trustees
July 6, 2017|Press Release
Kevin Matz quoted in "Little Tax Plan Promises Big Benefits For Wealthy Clients"
May 23, 2017|As mentioned in: Financial Advisor
Kevin Matz mentioned in "On the Move"
February 10, 2017|As mentioned in: New York Law Journal
Kevin Matz featured in "Stroock’s Personal Client Services Group Adds Noted Private Wealth Attorney and CPA Kevin Matz as Partner in New York"
February 9, 2017|As mentioned in: Global Banking & Finance Review
Kevin Matz featured in "Stroock’s Personal Client Services Group Adds CPA Kevin Matz as Partner in New York"
February 7, 2017|As mentioned in: Fintech Finance
Kevin Matz featured in "Stroock’s Personal Client Services Group Adds Kevin Matz as Partner in New York"
February 6, 2017|As mentioned in: citybizlist
Stroock’s Personal Client Services Group Adds Noted Private Wealth Attorney and CPA Kevin Matz as Partner in New York
February 6, 2017|Press Release
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"Eight Regulations the IRS Says Are “Unduly Complex,” Impose “an Undue Financial Burden on Taxpayers” or Exceed the IRS’s Statutory Authority"
August 1, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
EVENTSBack To Full Bio
U.S. Estate and Gift Taxation of Nonresident Aliens
August 22, 2017
Estate Planning and Carried Interest: Estate Tax Reduction Strategies for Private Equity and Hedge Fund Founders
August 1, 2017
NYSSCPA Annual Estate Planning Conference
May 25, 2017
Yale Club Insurance Group Roundtable Discussion of the 51st Annual Heckerling Meeting
April 3, 2017
NYSSCPA's 2017 Heckerling Review
February 16, 2017
- U.S. Estate and Gift Taxation of Nonresident Aliens