- Real Estate
- Real Estate: Development
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures
- Government Relations
- Representative Matters
- Honors & Awards
- Speeches & Events
Known as a consummate dealmaker and strategist with excellent market knowledge and relationships, Jeff Keitelman has been the lead lawyer on some of the country’s most complicated and high-profile commercial real estate transactions. Mr. Keitelman serves as the Co-Managing Partner of the firm. He is also Co-Managing Partner of the Washington, DC office, Co-Chair of the national Real Estate Practice Group and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Mr. Keitelman helps clients structure, negotiate and close their most important transactions. He represents local, national and international investors, owners, occupiers, managers and brokers in acquisition, disposition, leasing, development, financing, joint venture, property management and related matters involving office, industrial, retail, residential and mixed-use properties.
In addition to his work in traditional real estate, Mr. Keitelman has special experience with Government Real Estate (advising owners who lease to federal government tenants with respect to leases, sales, acquisitions, lending, compliance, operations, and protests and other claims), Corporate Real Estate (advising occupiers of space in transactional and operational matters across the country), and Green Real Estate (advising owners, occupiers, lenders and others in connection with sustainability issues in their real estate portfolios and transactions). He also has experience with counseling clients in connection with real estate related litigation and bankruptcy matters, as well as with public/private partnership transactions.
Representative clients include Fortune 500 companies, pension funds and other investors, REITs, life insurance companies, financial institutions, foreign investors, investment advisers, law firms, developers, governmental entities, non-profit and educational institutions, trade associations, real estate funds and numerous others.
REPRESENTATIVE MATTERSMr. Keitelman has been the lead lawyer in the following sample representations, among others:
- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in connection with all real estate related aspects of its redevelopment of the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan for more than 12 years (including the net leases with Silverstein Properties for three towers, the joint venture with Durst with respect to One World Trade Center, the joint venture with and then sale to Westfield for the retail areas, the 1.3 million square foot anchor lease with Conde Nast, and the 300,000 square foot lease with the U.S. Government marking the long-awaited return of the Government to the World Trade Center site).
- Alony Hetz Properties & Investments, an Israeli publicly-traded company, in establishing a joint venture with JP Morgan Special Situations Fund and others to re-from Carr Properties, a Washington, DC-based real estate operating company. The then $1 billion company, with 24 real estate projects at closing, continue to acquire and develop office properties in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- Columbia Property Trust (NYSE: CXP), one of the nation's largest public office REITs, on significant acquisitions, dispositions and leasing matters in major metropolitan markets, including: the $522 million sale of a 22-building, 12 state portfolio; the $228 million acquisition of a 16-story, 387,943 square foot office-tower in the financial district of San Francisco, with the assumption of the existing mortgage loan secured by the property made by New York Life Insurance Company; the $433 million disposition of a multi-state, 11 property commercial office building portfolio; and ongoing leasing activities major metropolitan markets.
- Skanska CDUS in connection with a 114,000 square foot, 16-year lease of a large international law firm for its Washington, DC headquarters; Beacon Capital Partners in connection with a 115,000 square foot, 15-year lease with MedStar Health for an outpatient surgical center in downtown DC; and numerous other owners of Class A office buildings with respect to major and/or anchor leases, build-to-suit transactions, major retail deals, and other significant leasing and development matters.
- Pfizer, Cisco Systems, Verizon and other major U.S. corporations in headquarters relocations, build-to-suit development transactions, and merger and acquisition transactions, as well as in ongoing leasing and facilities matters at national and international sites.
- Numerous buyers and sellers of government-occupied properties in connection with their acquisition, disposition and financing work, and numerous owners in leasing space to government tenants, all across the country (e.g., an 839,000 square foot, two-building government lease for the Department of Justice, the largest federal government lease in DC since 2002, a 592,000 square foot lease with the GSA for the U.S. Coast Guard headquarters, a 540,000 square foot lease for the initial TSA headquarters, a 250,000 square foot headquarters lease for the CFTC; and a 600,000 square foot lease with the GSA for the U.S. Department of State, Diplomatic Security Service).
- The landlord in connection with a lease to the U.S. Government for ~300,000 square feet of space in the 1,776 foot tall One World Trade Center, which increased the occupancy rate of the 104-story tower to over 50% and marked the long-awaited return of the Government to the World Trade Center site.
HONORS & AWARDS
Mr. Keitelman has received consistent professional recognition and accolades. He has been recognized for years in numerous leading publications, including Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (calling him "outstanding," "knowledgeable and experienced," "incredibly client-focused," and "noted among peers as possibly having more business than any other real estate attorney in Washington"), The Legal 500 (saying he possesses "excellent business sense and a keen sense for developing and negotiating strategies"), and Law360 MVP (citing his ability to understand “the client’s business and…the circumstances of the deal, while at the same time having a big-picture mentality”).
He has also been recognized year after year by: The Washingtonian Magazine as a Top Lawyer in Washington; the Washington, DC edition of Super Lawyers; the Guide to the World’s Leading Real Estate Lawyers; PLC’s Global Counsel Handbook of Corporate Real Estate; various ALM publications as one of New York’s Top Rated Lawyers; the Real Estate Expert Guide as one of the world’s leading real estate lawyers; and Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Real Estate Lawyers. He also has been "highly recommended" in the PLC Which Lawyer Yearbook and, based on peer reviews, listed in numerous editions of The Best Lawyers for real estate.
Washington SmartCEO has named him among its Legal Elite as the Leading Real Estate Lawyer in the DC area; and The Washington Business Journal has named him the “Top Washington Lawyer” for Real Estate.
Mr. Keitelman has also received numerous awards for his community work, such as: the Washington Business Journal's 40 Under 40 Award; a "Lifelong Champion" award of philanthropy, service and volunteerism by Greater DC Cares; Leadership Washington's "Distinguished Leadership Award"; and Brown University's John Hope Alumni Award for community service.
- Member, Association of Foreign Investors in Real Estate (AFIRE)
- Member, The Economic Club of Washington, DC
- Member, The Real Estate Roundtable
- Member, DC Building Industry Association
- Member, Real Estate Board of New York
- Member, CoreNet Global
- Member, National Federal Development Association
- Member, Federal Real Property Association
- Member, Office Development Council, Urban Land Institute
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Connecticut State Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Real Property Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, The International Association of Managing Partners
- Founder, Greater DC Cares, Inc.
- Board Member, Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Washington
- Founding Member, City Cares of America, Inc.
- Member, Greater Washington Board of Trade
- Member, Leadership Washington (Class of 1991)
- Founding Member, Youth Leadership of Metropolitan Washington, Inc.
- Member, University of Miami Parent’s Council
- Member, Tulane University’s Parent’s Council
- Advisory Board Member, Junior Tennis Champions Center at College Park
SPEECHES & EVENTS
- Presenter, “Legal Considerations Involved With Chinese Investment in US Real Estate,” China Outbound Real Estate Investment Forum, Beijing and Shanghai, April 23 and 25, 2013
- "Government Leasing: Troubleshooting and Trouble Prevention" seminar for US Government Properties Income & Growth Fund, March 29, 2011
- "Government Leasing: Troubleshooting and Trouble Prevention" seminar for Boston Properties, October 9, 2009
- "Retrofitting Commercial Buildings to be Green, Leases and Property Management Agreements (The LL’s Perspective)," Urban Land Institute (ULI) Professional Development Workshop, June 24, 2009
- "Defensive Tactics for Landlord (Non) Performance, Some Issues for Tenants to Consider when Negotiating Leases during the Capital Markets Crisis of 2009," Conference hosted by Jones Lang LaSalle, June 4, 2009
- "Green Leasing in Existing Building: Creating an Attractive Lease for Both Tenants and Landlords," Conference hosted by Allstate and the Chicago chapter of CoreNet Global, February 26, 2009
- "New Year, New Government: New Issues and Opportunities for Government Real Estate," Conference in Washington, DC, February 25, 2009
- "Federal Security Standards: Which One Does the Tenant Want?" Presentation to the Maryland/DC Chapter of NAIOP, February 16, 2009
- "Negotiation Operating Expense Clauses and Enforcement by Lease Audits," The Mid-Atlantic Chapter of CoreNet Global, October 14, 2005
- "Acquisition Strategies and Leasing/Property Management Issues," Wells Real Estate Funds, March 29-30, 2005
- "Leasing and Negotiating Trends," Jones Lang LaSalle Americas Annual Meeting, March 16, 2005
- "Legal Aspects of Government Leasing (or) What Gives Landlord’s Heartburn?” Annual Conference of the Federal Real Property Association in Washington, DC, October 27, 2004
- "Government Leases – Doing Deals with GSA Tenants," CLE International in Washington, DC, June 7-8, 2004
- "Government Leasing and Compliance," Equity Office Properties in Chicago, October 16, 2003
- "GSA Leasing Issues," RealShare DC Conference, Washington DC, Fall 2003
- Co-author, "Real Estate In the Crosshairs: Congressional Calls to Step Up Scrutiny of Foreign Investment," Global Banking & Finance Review, June 21, 2017
- Co-author, "What Real Estate Cos. Need To Know About CFIUS Reviews," Law360, January 5, 2016
- Co-author, "Sequestration: Déjà vu All Over Again?" DCBIA Pipeline magazine, December 2013
- Co-author, "Is Your Commission-Sharing Agreement Legal?" CoreNet Global Industry Tracker - Member Viewpoint, December 2011
- Co-author, "DC’s PACE Law: What It Means for Owners," Washington Business Journal, May 7, 2010
- Contributor, "Green Leases: A Global Perspective," PLC Environment, August 18, 2009
- Commentator, "Craig's Corner for Counsel: Green Real Estate" column, Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, March 31, 2009
- Co-author, "Green Leasing: What to Look for and What to Avoid," Report for Jones Lang LaSalle website, November 2008
- Co-author, "Brush Up on Security Guidelines Before Leasing to GSA Tenants," Real Estate Forum, October 2005
- Participant, Group Interview of Leaders in Corporate Real Estate, The Leader: CoreNet Global Magazine, September 2005
- "Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance Ushers in New Era of Opportunity," Corporate Real Estate Leader, May 2004
- "Creative Disposition Strategies: The Art of Two Deals," CoreNews, the bi-monthly magazine for Mid-Atlantic Chapter of CoreNet Global’s Corporate Real Estate Network, November 2003
- Contributing author, "Leasing Negotiation Handbook," The American Law Institute-American Bar Association (ALI-ABA) Committee on Continuing Professional Education, in cooperation with the International Association of Attorneys and Executives in Corporate Real Estate (AECRE), November 2003
- Co-author, "Increasing Security," Legal Times, October 8, 2001, Vol. XXIV, No. 40
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
Connecticut; District of Columbia; New York
J.D., Columbia Law School, 1986; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Note and Comment Editor, Journal of Environmental Law
B.A., magna cum laude, Brown University, 1982; Economics; Phi Beta Kappa
NEWSBack To Full Bio
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
August 15, 2017|Press Release
Stroock Advising Developer TF Cornerstone on Major New Waterfront Project in Long Island City
August 3, 2017|Press Release
Stroock Partners with New York Lawyers for Public Interest to Develop Critical Guide for Nonprofits on Immigration Enforcement
July 20, 2017|Press Release
Jeff Keitelman and Chris Griner featured in "Real Estate in the Crosshairs: Congressional Calls to Step Up Scrutiny of Foreign Investment"
June 21, 2017|As featured in: Global Banking & Finance Review
Robert Abrams, Chris Griner, Jeff Keitelman, Ross Moskowitz and Anne Salladin featured in "Stroock Hosts Forum on Foreign Investment and National Security Under Trump"
June 20, 2017|As mentioned in: Global Banking & Finance Review
Stroock Hosts Forum on Foreign Investment and National Security Under Trump
June 16, 2017|Press Release
Stroock Receives High Honors in 13 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2017: 37 Stroock Attorneys Recognized
June 2, 2017|Press Release
Stroock Earns Top Tier Rank in 11 Practices by Chambers USA 2017: 30 Leading Attorneys Recognized
June 1, 2017|Press Release
Real Estate Forum and GlobeSt Honor Five Separate Stroock Transactions Nationally for Best Deals of 2016
April 20, 2017|Press Release
90 Stroock Attorneys Recognized as 2016 Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”
September 22, 2016|Press Release
Jeff R. Keitelman featured in "Stroock & Stroock & Lavan Taps D.C. Partner to Lead Firm"
September 21, 2016|As mentioned in: Washington Business Journal
Jeff R. Keitelman featured in "Stroock Adds to Firm's Changing Leadership"
September 21, 2016|As mentioned in: Bloomberg Big Law Business
Jeff R. Keitelman featured in "Stroock Names DC Partner as New Co-Leader"
September 21, 2016|As mentioned in: New York Law Journal
Jeff R. Keitelman featured in "Stroock Picks New Co-Managing Partner"
September 21, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
Jeff R. Keitelman and Stuart H. Coleman featured in "Stroock Co-Managing Partner Stepping Down"
September 21, 2016|As mentioned in: GlobeSt.com
Stroock Announces Selection of New Co-Managing Partner
September 20, 2016|Press Release
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2017
August 15, 2016 |Press Release
Stroock Attorneys and Practices Recommended by The Legal 500 United States 2016
June 15, 2016|Press Release
Stroock Ranked By Chambers USA For 2016
May 27, 2016 |Press Release
Jeffrey R. Keitelman and Joseph F. Miller mentioned in "Stroock Steers Columbia Property's $187M Baltimore Sale"
April 1, 2016|As mentioned in: Law360
Jeffrey R. Keitelman quoted in "GSA official to help law firm expand its federal real estate practice"
March 16, 2016|As mentioned in: Washington Business Journal
Two Stroock Partners Named Washingtonian’s Top Lawyers for 2015
January 5, 2016
Real Estate MVP: Stroock's Jeffrey R. Keitelman
November 24, 2015|As mentioned in: Law360
"Law360 Real Estate MVP: Stroock’s Jeffrey Keitelman"
November 24, 2015|Law360
Stroock Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers and "Rising Stars"
September 16, 2015
45 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2016
August 17, 2015
Jeffrey R. Keitelman Talks to Bisnow About His Move to Stroock
July 10, 2015|As mentioned in: Bisnow
Real Estate Partners quoted in "The Lawyers at the Forefront of Stroock's Real Estate Explosion"
June 24, 2015|As mentioned in: The Commercial Observer
Real Estate team highlighted in "Stroock Lures 8 From DLA Piper For Real Estate Practice"
June 4, 2015|As mentioned in: Law360
Stroock Continues National Expansion with Addition of Eight Real Estate Attorneys in Washington, DC and New York
Firm Adds 23 Attorneys in the Last Six Months Across All OfficesMay 26, 2015
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"Real Estate In the Crosshairs: Congressional Calls to Step Up Scrutiny of Foreign Investment"
June 21, 2017|Global Banking & Finance Review
- "Real Estate in the Crosshairs: Congressional Calls to Step Up Scrutiny of Foreign Investment"June 1, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "July 6th – 'Not So Independent' Day?"July 11, 2016|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "What Real Estate Cos. Need To Know About CFIUS Reviews"January 5, 2016|Law360
- "CFIUS and The Waldorf Astoria"12/21/2015|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "Real Estate in the Crosshairs: Congressional Calls to Step Up Scrutiny of Foreign Investment"