Etta Brandman counsels clients in all aspects of estate planning, including the drafting of wills and trusts, estate and gift taxation and estate and trust administration. Since joining Stroock in 1980, Ms. Brandman has advised clients on lifetime planning for the inter-generational transfer of wealth and succession and tax planning for businesses.
Ms. Brandman has extensive experience regarding the laws governing charitable giving and not-for-profit organizations. She both advises and serves as director for numerous public charities and private foundations, currently including the Carroll and Milton Petrie Foundation and the Harkness Foundation for Dance.
Ms. Brandman has written and lectured extensively on the subject of charitable giving for both expert and mass audiences.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
New York, 1980
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1980; Member, Annual Survey of American Law
B.A., summa cum laude, Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, 1977
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
"Governor Cuomo Approves Amendments to 2013 New York Non-Profit Revitalization Act to Refine Numerous Provisions, Including Those Relating to Conflicts of Interest, Related-Party Transactions and Board Committee Composition"
February 23, 2017|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "New Proposed Treasury Regulations Imperil Valuation Discounts for Family Controlled Entities"August 25, 2016|Stroock Estate Planning Alert
- "Third Time is No Charm: Albany Fails (Yet Again) to Enact Meaningful Estate Tax Relief"April 21, 2016|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "Estate Planning Alert - Albany Fails (Again) to Enact Meaningful Estate Tax Relief"April 7, 2015|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "The Nonprofit Revitalization Act of 2013 Will Require Many Changes for Existing New York-Formed Nonprofit Corporations"Updated March 14, 2014|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "Federal Gift, Estate and Generation-Skipping Tax Exemptions Remain at $5,000,000 Level – For Now!"January 30, 2012|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “Protecting Donors of Restricted Charitable Gifts in Hard Economic Times,”May 12, 2009|Stroock Special Bulletin
- “New IRS Form 990 Requirements Become Effective for Reports Due in 2009”February 26, 2009|Stroock Special Bulletin
- "New Proposed Treasury Regulations Imperil Valuation Discounts for Family Controlled Entities"