- Government Relations
- Real Estate: Land Use and Governmental Approvals
- Real Estate: Litigation
- Real Estate: Tax Certiorari
- Employment Law
- Employment Law: Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Honors & Awards
- JUMP TO:
- Honors & Awards
Charles G. Moerdler is the Co-Chair of Stroock's Litigation Practice Group. His practice is broad-based, including concentrations in real estate and land use, health care, international law, labor law and administrative law. Mr. Moerdler also specializes in state and federal appellate practice.
Mr. Moerdler has represented many of New York's leading real estate developers and owners, as well as real estate trade organizations, in a variety of contexts ranging from antitrust, to land use and zoning, to brokerage and contract disputes.
Among the many organizations that have retained Mr. Moerdler as outside general counsel are one of the largest hospitals in the country, one of the nation's largest health maintenance organizations and a major New York City daily newspaper, for which he has also served as a director. He regularly counsels Austria's largest bank in international litigation and served as board chairman of its U.S. subsidiary. He also acts for Austria's largest electricity and power enterprise, one of its largest realtors and has represented other major European companies. Mr. Moerdler represents the American Federation of Teachers and has served as lead negotiator for numerous municipal labor unions, including the United Federation of Teachers and the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association.
On several occasions he has been appointed by federal courts to serve as a Special Master for the resolution of complex issues, including ERISA, securities and antitrust issues. He has served as a private arbitrator and mediator in a variety of contexts.
Mr. Moerdler also has extensive public sector experience. He currently serves as a board member of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, including Metro North Railroad, Long Island Railroad, NYC Transit Authority and Triborough Bridge & Tunnel Authority, as a member of the Board of Directors of the New York City Housing Development Corporation, and served as Board Member of the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York. He has also served as Commissioner of Housing and Buildings of the City of New York, as a real estate and development consultant to New York City Mayor John Lindsay, as a member of the City's Air Pollution Control Board, and as Chairman and Commissioner of the New York State Insurance Fund.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Mr. Moerdler has been recognized by The Legal 500 as a leader in dispute resolution and by Best Lawyers.
- Board Member, Metropolitan Transportation Authority (including boards of NYC Transit, Metro North Railroad, Long Island Railroad, NY Bus Company), 2010-present
- Chair, Bridges and Tunnels Committee, 2016-present
- Member, Dormitory Authority of the State of New York, 2010-2012
- Member and Gubernatorial Appointee, New York City Housing Development Corp., 1997-present
- Commissioner and Chair, New York State Insurance Fund
- Member and Labor Representative, New York City Board of Collective Bargaining, 2000-present
- Member, New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division, First Department
- Member, Committee on Attorney Grievances, 1998-2004, 2006-2011, 2015-2017
- Member, Committee on Character and Fitness, 1977-present
- Vice Chairman, Committee on Character and Fitness, 1998-present
- Member, New York City Residential Mortgage Insurance Corporation, 1998-present
- Member, American College of Special Masters
- Member, Editorial Board, New York Law Journal, 1986-present
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Trustee, St. Barnabas Hospital, 1986-present
- Member, American Jewish Congress
- Co-Chairman, Governing Council, 2008-2010
- Senior Vice President, 2004-2007
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
New York, 1956
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1957; U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1964; U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1973; U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2008; U.S. Court of Claims, 2001; U.S. Supreme Court, 1958
J.D., Fordham University, 1956; Associate Editor, Fordham Law Review, 1955
B.A., Long Island University, 1953
NEWSBack To Full Bio
Stroock Hosts Forum on State of New York’s Mass Transit System and How Best to Synch Transit Development with Region’s Economic Growth
November 17, 2017|Press Release
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2018
August 15, 2017|Press Release
Stroock Receives High Honors in 13 Practices from The Legal 500 United States 2017: 37 Stroock Attorneys Recognized
June 2, 2017|Press Release
47 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2017
August 15, 2016 |Press Release
Stroock's forum highlighted in "Debate Over Best Path to Affordable Housing Development Continues"
April 14, 2016|As mentioned in: Gotham Gazette
Stroock Hosts Forum on ObamaCare in the New York Health Delivery System
December 8, 2015
Stroock Featured in The New York Times "Best Lawyers" 2016 New York City Supplement
November 20, 2015|As mentioned in: The New York Times
Charles G. Moerdler quoted in "Teachers fight back against tenure lawsuit"
September 18, 2015|As mentioned in: Amsterdam News
45 Stroock Partners and Counsel Named to Best Lawyers in America for 2016
August 17, 2015
Stroock’s Charles Moerdler Confirmed as Member of the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York
March 17, 2010
Capital Markets Crisis Group Expansion
April 3, 2008
PUBLICATIONSBack To Full Bio
“Employee-Friendly Labor Arbitration Awards Under Attack”; “Transit Workers Union Victorious: Regains Dues-Checkoff and Vindicates Free Speech Rights”; Appellate Division, First Department: NYC Has No Automatic Right to Appeal from a TRO”
May 2009|Stroock Reports – Public Employee Law
- “The Taylor Law At 40: Preparing For The Battle Over Reform”; “Garcetti v. Ceballos TwoYears Later: How Are Public Employees Faring?” and “Trading First Amendment Rights For Dues Checkoff”May 2008|Stroock Reports - Public Employee Law
- Stroock Reports - Public Employee LawSeptember 2007|Stroock Reports - Public Employee Law
EVENTSBack To Full Bio
NY Mass Transit's Present and Future. A Forecast on the Impact to Our Region's Economy
November 16, 2017
Will NYC Ever See Affordable Housing?
April 13, 2016
What does ObamaCare mean for the New York Health Delivery System?
December 8, 2015
The Future of Mass Transportation in NYC
March 1, 2012
The Association of the Bar of the City of New York Continuing Legal Education's Litigation Skills Workshop: Taking & Defending Depositions
Monday, September 21 - Tuesday, September 22, 2009
- “The Taylor Law At 40: Preparing For The Battle Over Reform”; “Garcetti v. Ceballos TwoYears Later: How Are Public Employees Faring?” and “Trading First Amendment Rights For Dues Checkoff”